Burning oil smell while stopped

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 05:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burning oil smell while stopped

Hey everyone I have done a search all over the place and can't seem to find an answer for my car. I don't see any oil on my garage floor, and I can't see any oil on or around the engine. I seem to smell burning oil at a stop light after my drive to work, I thought it was the car infront of me but now it's happened every day. I kinda got on the car yesterday n when I rolled down my window for the drove thru I definitely smelt oil burning but if I shut my car off the smell is gone? I was curious if anyone had any advice as to where I should start looking for the problem? Thanks

I have a 2008 tl type s 6 speed manual
Old 01-12-2016, 06:14 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Have you opened the hood at all? That would be a good first place to start. May be a slow drip, and it all keeps burning somewhere near the engine in the engine bay before it can drip down to the floor. Happened to my cousin and his Audi B5 - nothing on the floor, but the leak was because of a head gasket or something
Old 01-12-2016, 06:18 PM
Cruisin'

I did look under the hood I can't seem to see anything I plan on removing all the plastic crap to really get a better look at the engine and all around it, I mean the motor looks clean, and before I bought it I looked all over making sure I didn't see any oil but I mean they clean it like crazy so it could just be from me driving it the leak came back but I don't know where else to look?

Originally Posted by jimmyfu
Have you opened the hood at all? That would be a good first place to start. May be a slow drip, and it all keeps burning somewhere near the engine in the engine bay before it can drip down to the floor. Happened to my cousin and his Audi B5 - nothing on the floor, but the leak was because of a head gasket or something
Old 01-15-2016, 07:44 PM
Cruisin'

found out that the oil pump seal was leaking just a little and was causing all the oil buildup, luckily the dealer i bought it from is fixing it since it was a problem before i took the car home. They got the car on trade and i bought it the next day because i had to have it...lol
Old 01-15-2016, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can u update us on this thread when car is finish. I want to know which seals they replace? And what's the part number? Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-16-2016, 03:25 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by sam617
Can u update us on this thread when car is finish. I want to know which seals they replace? And what's the part number? Thanks in advance!!
I don't have a leak, but I am doing my TB job in the spring. While I am in there I am replacing the oil pump seals to prevent problems down the road. My parts list includes the following:
15115-P8A-A01 Oil hole seal (main seal between block and pump, the one that causes the leaks most of the time)
91310-PH7-000 Oil pump pick up tube o ring
91212-R70-A02 Front crank seal
15825-P8A-A01 Spool valve filter/seal (oil filter mount)
91308-P8A-A01 Joint pipe O ring
91309-P8A-A01 Joint pipe O ring

Overall the parts are inexpensive, shipping sucks, so make sure you order them all at one time. I ordered from Bernardi Acura, but I missed two of the above seals, so I had to go my local dealer so I didn't have to pay $10 more for shipping. They raked me over by charging 40% above MSRP. I'm still pissed about it, but what can I do. Confirms that my dealer sucks and price gouges on parts. I could see the dealer price, list price and MSRP, I asked why they charge so much more than MSRP, he said that's just what we charge, do you want the parts? My hands were tied.
The following users liked this post:
jpeets82 (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 04:43 AM
Cruisin'

hey there i just got my car back but they didn't give me detail list of parts because i had to pick up the car after hours, i couldn't wait another day without her. But that defiantly fixed my problem they even put a new timing belt on which was surprising because it was just changed 25k ago, i know the rule of thumb is to replace it but you know dealerships they cut any corner they can. I see there is a post with a some parts and parts number from blueracer i hope he was able to help sorry i couldn't be any more help
Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by blueracer17
Overall the parts are inexpensive, shipping sucks, so make sure you order them all at one time. I ordered from Bernardi Acura, but I missed two of the above seals, so I had to go my local dealer so I didn't have to pay $10 more for shipping. They raked me over by charging 40% above MSRP. I'm still pissed about it, but what can I do. Confirms that my dealer sucks and price gouges on parts. I could see the dealer price, list price and MSRP, I asked why they charge so much more than MSRP, he said that's just what we charge, do you want the parts? My hands were tied.
Just what they charge? NO! It's what they can charge everyone else because they know that most customers don't know any better. I would have bitched, pissed, and moaned in front of other customers (if necessary) offering them the list price for parts and not a penny more. I went through that a couple of times with Acura of Manhattan when they tried to charge me double the list price for wiper blade refills and Nanuet Honda tried to charge me double the list for pedal covers. They caved in BOTH times and have never done it again.