Broken Nutz need help & advice Please..

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 11:06 AM
KoolKatz..

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Broken Nutz need help & advice Please..

Happy holidays my fellow acuraziner's!

My probation officer got me this.....yay!

Hours later upon install I broken these off one on each end of the pipes. How can I fix this? I tried to hammer out the broken studs but to no avail, is this repairable? The broken studs are on the Pre-cats? So far no leaks but has me worried...

Thanks in advance for your help and have a good new years be merry and safe!
Old 12-26-2009, 11:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the broken part is threaded- a stud. Thats quite the stress fracture there!

You will need a broken bolt remover kit- aka tap out kit from harbor freight or sears type store
you center punch the broken bolt to make a drill bit `guide`- then insert a special `reverse drill bit`- then a special driver goes into that hole and tightens itself as you turn left to slowly remove bolt
Try wd or similar to penetrate rust

In the future spray things a night ahead and for tight bolts- spray and try to tighten slightly- then remove- that often bust the corrossion loose

You WILL have an exhaust leak if all the bolts are not there and tight

You can try a muffler shop for removing those too
Old 12-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice! Can't answer your question, but it's cool to get something like that under the tree. My wife "let" me order my Type-S tails and side markers, door visors (I decided to give them a shot on my car to see if I like them in person), and a year's subscription of XM. I may go for it and get the black vinyl overlay for the roof next... but I'm just not quite there yet (it's a "big" mod for me). Christmas was good this year!

Hope your issue isn't a big one, but I'm sure it's something that can be professionally fixed if it was necessary. Hope you and your family had a Merry Christmas!
Old 12-26-2009, 12:40 PM
KoolKatz..

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
the broken part is threaded- a stud. Thats quite the stress fracture there!

You will need a broken bolt remover kit- aka tap out kit from harbor freight or sears type store
you center punch the broken bolt to make a drill bit `guide`- then insert a special `reverse drill bit`- then a special driver goes into that hole and tightens itself as you turn left to slowly remove bolt
Try wd or similar to penetrate rust

In the future spray things a night ahead and for tight bolts- spray and try to tighten slightly- then remove- that often bust the corrossion loose

You WILL have an exhaust leak if all the bolts are not there and tight

You can try a muffler shop for removing those too

Thanks for the advice! yeah it was COLD in the garage couldn't wait till warmer days lol. I tried to loosen the bolt but it got stuck I tried to re-tighten but felt it getting stuck. It was INEVITABLE the bolts must be broken off and replaced. Could not tighten or loosen it so had to break it.
WD40 ran out of that. The bit thingy dunno know if that'll work it broken on and stuck on the preCats....but will try thanks.

Nice! Can't answer your question, but it's cool to get something like that under the tree. My wife "let" me order my Type-S tails and side markers, door visors (I decided to give them a shot on my car to see if I like them in person), and a year's subscription of XM. I may go for it and get the black vinyl overlay for the roof next... but I'm just not quite there yet (it's a "big" mod for me). Christmas was good this year!

Hope your issue isn't a big one, but I'm sure it's something that can be professionally fixed if it was necessary. Hope you and your family had a Merry Christmas!
__________________thanks!
Old 12-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
You can simply drill the entire mess out and place a bolt through each hole and use the respective lockwasher and nut. Another altenatuve would be to drill, then tap the threads again, which should not be too hard as there is plenty of meat in those sections.

Moving forward, WD-40 is a HUGE waste of time. Spend $15 on a propane torch and fire away...I was never a believer until the first time I did such an act, and MAN, I'll never use anything else. GL.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea a vice and a drill, your in business.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:55 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
pb blast is the shizz for loosening tight rusted bolts. yes, it works better than wd-40.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:45 PM
KoolKatz..

Picture this I'm less than two feet off the ground looking up NO elbow grease at all. The bolts are stuck on the PRECATS one broke on the front pc and the other bolt broke on the second pc. WD40/ pb blast? I'm certain that won't work there hardly anything to grasp the thread it freakin looks like it was welded on there.

Definately must take to shop, need to be on lift, but afraid they may say something about my race pipe etc etc. Dammit car was fine till I started messing with it .........shiet!
Old 12-27-2009, 02:27 AM
Pro

Sounds like it has to be on a lift to get to it. Don't squash yourself under there. I would take it to a local mech. LoL, I bet it's loud as all hell. hahaha.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:44 AM
DoublYouDP

best way is to take it to the shop if you don't wanna mess with it anymore....don't stress urself over this..cuz when I installed my J-pipe and race pipe I took my car to the shop so they can loosen up 1 nut and bolt for me and it's only cost a couple buck so...good luck
Old 12-28-2009, 01:34 PM
KoolKatz..

Thanks fellas I'mma take it to the shop soon, I can live with the small leak hiss for now. Anyhoo anybody in the DFW wanna come do it or help me then I'll pay $25 bucks, free wings and 6pack of any choice lol...seriously. lol
Old 12-29-2009, 01:02 AM
DoublYouDP

if you're in Seattle I'll give you a hand but too bad you're too far away LMAO.