Brakes screeching when rotors/pads heat up.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Vroooooom....Vrooooooom!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Brakes screeching when rotors/pads heat up.

Hey guys! Happy Friday to all of you!

The brakes on my car are driving me crazy (05 Manual w/brembos). When I start driving, they are perfectly fine and quiet as a mouse. However, after about 5-10 miles of brake use they begin screeching like an elephant in heat. I have had it into the dealership 3 times now for this problem and I always get the same response, "we couldn't duplicate the problem sir" They've already upgraded it to the newer pads.

My guess is that they didn't test drive it long enough for the brakes to heat up and start screeching. It's driving me crazy ... I got this sweet brand new car and when I come to a stop it sounds like it is 20 years old. It's actually kinda embarrasing.

I really don't know what to do at this point. Any suggestions? Thanks so much in advance.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:57 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Thats pretty weird that new pads didnt get rid of it. Have you considered going aftermarket?
Old 06-09-2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by subinf
Thats pretty weird that new pads didnt get rid of it. Have you considered going aftermarket?
Well, it start only after the new pads. The old pads used to squeal only at low speeds or when turning into parking spaces ... now they squeal all the time after heating up. I only have about 4,000 miles on the new pads.

I have been considering aftermarket ... but feel that the dealer should reimburse me the cost of these hideous brakes. I would rather have the AT pads that don't squeal than the Brembos. It's great I can stop on a dime, but not worth the annoying squeal.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:09 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Record the sound with cassette/MP3 recorder etc....
Old 06-09-2006, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Shoot2Thrill
Record the sound with cassette/MP3 recorder etc....

Hey, thanks Shoot that is a good idea! Then I can just play it for them and be like look, I am not crazy, it does do this!!!

Another thought I had was to see if I could drop by my dealer and pick up a mechanic from Acura when the rotors are hot and squealing.................I don't know if they do this though. I just want to get the situation resolved.

The squeal is also not consistent, for example on the way home from work this afternoon it squealed on maybe every three stops or so and then not at all.

I really don't know what to make of it.

The sound comes from all 4 wheels!

Thanks for all the help so far!
Old 06-09-2006, 03:43 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds typical for BBK's?
Old 06-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why not warm it up and then take it to the dealer and get the tech to sit in the car and u go for the drive with him. I found that it is the best way to duplicate the problem cause u kinda know when/how it happens.

I did that and they replaced both the rotors and pads on my BBK.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:37 PM
My Fiance in Super Street

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The brake squeal issue is a normal operating characteristic of Brembo pads. Mostly occurs in the morning and after they have been heated up during mostly higher speed braking.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Brian@DMDAcura
The brake squeal issue is a normal operating characteristic of Brembo pads. Mostly occurs in the morning and after they have been heated up during mostly higher speed braking.

Hey Brian ... so you are saying they are supposed to squeal? That's very annoying. For the little time that I do high performance braking ... I would much rather have the Automatic Trans. pads that do not squeal....instead of the Brembos

It's very loud, and very annoying ...
Old 06-17-2006, 12:32 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by ThePianoMan
Hey Brian ... so you are saying they are supposed to squeal? That's very annoying. For the little time that I do high performance braking ... I would much rather have the Automatic Trans. pads that do not squeal....instead of the Brembos

It's very loud, and very annoying ...
High performance brake systems do tend to squeel at times....is just typical of most all BBK's with aggressive pads installed. You can reduce/all but eliminate the squeel by changing to power-puff pads...but then why have a BBK in the first place? I feel your pain...but that is the way it is with high performance brakes.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:17 AM
My Fiance in Super Street

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
High performance brake systems do tend to squeel at times....is just typical of most all BBK's with aggressive pads installed. You can reduce/all but eliminate the squeel by changing to power-puff pads...but then why have a BBK in the first place? I feel your pain...but that is the way it is with high performance brakes.
That's just the way it is. My friend with a 360 Modena Challenge Stradale brakes squeal like a mutha...His Ceramic brakes on his Ruf GT2 squeal as well, but I would much rather have the braking ability, than the non-squeal brakes. On my EVO, I switched to the Hawk HPS pads at that minimized the squeal and braked better in my opinion on the track and the street.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:36 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by MilanoR
That's just the way it is. My friend with a 360 Modena Challenge Stradale brakes squeal like a mutha...His Ceramic brakes on his Ruf GT2 squeal as well, but I would much rather have the braking ability, than the non-squeal brakes. On my EVO, I switched to the Hawk HPS pads at that minimized the squeal and braked better in my opinion on the track and the street.
Good tip and the pads. I was wondering what pads would be quieter next time but still offer ample braking abilities! Still on the original set of pads.