Brake very squeaky

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Brake very squeaky

My brakes tend to be relatively loud when braking. I haven't checked the pads yet but this shouldn't be an issue according to my dealer the pads were changed before I bought the car. Had 43k has about 53k now. I know there is no way they are worn down yet. Rotors look great also.

Is our car just generally loud in terms of brakes I noticed the TL has pretty big brakes compared to alot of cars and I've heard for example the BBK kits are loud as all hell. Or was my dealer lying to me?

Also have a 08 base
Old 04-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBumbino
My brakes tend to be relatively loud when braking. I haven't checked the pads yet but this shouldn't be an issue according to my dealer the pads were changed before I bought the car. Had 43k has about 53k now. I know there is no way they are worn down yet. Rotors look great also.

Is our car just generally loud in terms of brakes I noticed the TL has pretty big brakes compared to alot of cars and I've heard for example the BBK kits are loud as all hell. Or was my dealer lying to me?

Also have a 08 base
The base brakes should make no noise.

The base brakes should not have been changed yet. They should easily go 80k or more. If they have been changed, who knows what pads are on there and pad material is one of the biggest factors in squeaky brakes. If it's an aggressive compound and you drive it too easy, the transfer layer will go away and they will be squeaky. You can try a bed in and see if it goes away. Do 3-4 hard stops from 60-10mph and make sure not to come to a complete stop once they're warm. This procedure varies greatly depending on the pads you have. If they're stock, this should not be necessary.

A good BBK makes no noise. My Stoptech 13" kit makes no noise at all. Size of the brakes have nothing to do with the noise they make. The base brakes are pretty small for a 3,500lb car. 11.8" is fine for normal driving but they're going to give up with a lot of performance driving. Even the optional Brembos at 12.2" aren't exactly oversized. They're matched well to the TL's hp and weight but IMO, those should be the standard brakes.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
The base brakes should make no noise.

The base brakes should not have been changed yet. They should easily go 80k or more. If they have been changed, who knows what pads are on there and pad material is one of the biggest factors in squeaky brakes. If it's an aggressive compound and you drive it too easy, the transfer layer will go away and they will be squeaky. You can try a bed in and see if it goes away. Do 3-4 hard stops from 60-10mph and make sure not to come to a complete stop once they're warm. This procedure varies greatly depending on the pads you have. If they're stock, this should not be necessary.

A good BBK makes no noise. My Stoptech 13" kit makes no noise at all. Size of the brakes have nothing to do with the noise they make. The base brakes are pretty small for a 3,500lb car. 11.8" is fine for normal driving but they're going to give up with a lot of performance driving. Even the optional Brembos at 12.2" aren't exactly oversized. They're matched well to the TL's hp and weight but IMO, those should be the standard brakes.
I noticed that it actually only squeaks when i'm light on the brakes. As I apply them harder it goes away completely.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have this same exact problem right now.