BRAKE PRoblem big time (NEWBS NEED HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 01:41 PM
DGP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BRAKE PRoblem big time (NEWBS NEED HELP)

Hey guys haven't posted in a bit but I recently just had a major problem with the tl. I was driving to work with the tl after ahving it sit for a day with the parking break on and when I arrived to the gas station my back right brake was smoking heavily and smelled of burning pad. The rotor had a light white color on the outer half and looked normally closer to the axel.I obviously freaked out and let it cool for a bit. I got back on the road after letting it cool and made it to work. Got out of the car and the brake caliper and rotor seemed fine no excessive heat or smoke at all.

I've been reaserching and calling around all day so far and this is what I got.

It is possible that the pin is stuck in the position.
My Brake lines have been void of flushing thus casusing the lines to wear and bits of rust breaking down parts of the line.
I called the dealer and they told me that there could be something stuck behind the brake pad, or the allignment of the brake pads is off.

I believe that the brake pads are from the rsx with the three tabs casuing the pad to wear unevenly and such.

After reading all of that im sure most of you realize that I am a complete newb. BUt hey newbs have to start from somewhere right haha

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys!

Last edited by NHfastandfree; 07-27-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:44 PM
DGP

I am thinking of buying new rotors and pads think this is a good idea?
Old 07-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
How many NH winters has it gone through? Did you check to see if the parking brake mechanism is fully retracting? Mine hasn't seen salt yet but the emergency brake cables used to be notorious for becoming stuck because of corrosion.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:37 PM
DGP

Interesting, I believe its gone through some serious winters about 4 that I know of and it was never garaged (Not my fault lol). How could I tell if it was the emergency brake cable?

I just got back from work and right off the highway the same back left side brake was smoking. The pad seems to be almost disintegrating.