brake pedal acting wierd

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:42 PM
SILVER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake pedal acting wierd

05 tl auto first off

35k mileage...new front brakes (totally seperate issue from the pedal ) just for info's sake

the brake pedal makes a wierd slight noise and fluttering feel under inital pressure. So pretend you are driving in traffic, you accelerate, then someone comes in your lane and you take your foot off the accelerator and put it on the brake pedal but you don't push down far because you don't need to brake....the pedal feels like there is something preventing me from pushing it down smoothly.

Trying to set the stage...the only area where the pedal does this action is the initial maybe 5% of movement...the rest of the way down it's perfect.

this started a month ago when I took the car in for something unrelated, and when I got it back magically it started.

The symptom occurs more often when I am in traffic so as to say constantly on and off the gas and on and off the brake. it doesnt' occur 100% of the time and if you reach your head under the dash you will see the piston going through a rubber thing which looks like it has a psuedo air filter element in it (just for description purposes.)

I can make the noise happen if I put it in park hit the accelerator then move to the brake and tap the brake a few times then it stops.

The dealer obviuosly "couldn't feel it" which just goes to show they don't care enough.

Anyone know what part of the brake system could cause this to occur? I'm sure it will be covered under warranty but if I can't help them figure out what is messed up they can't fix it, if you know what I mean.

thanks Aaron
Old 08-10-2007, 12:00 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if this is the same thing but...https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/guess-who-back-164001/

Since it's concerning your brakes, I would take it in the the dealer immediately before it becomes (maybe it already is) a major safety issue.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See! I'm not crazy. I had this exact same problem. Just when you rest your foot on the brake pedal, it feels like its rubbing and crunching on something (friction) in the pedal itself. But this is only with a slow, light, gradual touch.

I took it to the dealer and they checked out the system and basically told me I was nuts. --- It doesn't happen all the time, but more often that not it'll occur after lots and lots of braking.

Is this what you're experiencing?
Old 08-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am expericening the same thing. It is very annoying. I have not taken it to the dealer because I know it will be impossable to get someone else to feel it. I figured they would think that I am too picky.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:06 AM
10th Gear

I have the same problem! I was going to make an apointment next week to have it looked at because it hasn't always done it and it greatly concerns me. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:16 PM
SILVER

It is not the problem described in the link provided by Yakuza, but it seems the same as the rest of you are having.

For those of you that have the problem.....see if yours repeats like mine where you put the car in park. use your hands for this it is more obvious that way, and push the accelerator pedal to rev the engine then tap the brake pedal....does it make the problem more repeatable...I'm sure with everyone trying it we will come up with a solution.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aaron
It is not the problem described in the link provided by Yakuza, but it seems the same as the rest of you are having.

For those of you that have the problem.....see if yours repeats like mine where you put the car in park. use your hands for this it is more obvious that way, and push the accelerator pedal to rev the engine then tap the brake pedal....does it make the problem more repeatable...I'm sure with everyone trying it we will come up with a solution.

Yeah. As long as the brake pedal can travel to the floor (i.e. not in park with the engine off) it'll "scrunch" and grind.