Bosch icons don't wipe on the right side of each blade

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 1 Post
Bosch icons don't wipe on the right side of each blade

so i put on some new icons today, and i currently have a very dirty windshield, which was perfect to see how well these things really work.

the problem is, on the right side of each wiper, it basically skips over the windshield. Its not a chatter, it doesn't hit the windshield at all. this leaves a place in the middle of the windshield where the drivers side missed, and an arc on the right where the passenger side missed.

is this normal for these blades? i'm surprised that no one else has had these issues, seeing as almost everyone on here swears by these blades.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i'm not really sure what you mean by "icons"...i'm assuming you're talking about the blade inserts? how much did you get them for? IMO, you should return those and head to the dealer for CHEAP blade inserts. i wanna say 8 bucks? not a fan of bosch...all around
Old 12-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the arm is out of adjustment as far as how much pressure is applied to the blade. It should make a clean pass over the windshield. I've got the Microedge blade on my TL and MDX and have not had any problems. I tried the Icon before and it did the same thing; I couldn't get the blade to sit correctly on the windshield and traded them in on the Microedge and they worked fine. Memory seems to say that the Icon was much lighter than the Microedge; at least on my car (the TL) it like the Microedge much better.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I hate to ask this, but are they the right size wipers?

Driver's Side: 26" (426A)
Passenger Side: 19" (419B)

I have these on my TL and they clean very well, although the windshield has to be a wet otherwise its streaks galore
Old 12-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the same problem but only on the passenger side: the very end of the passenger wiper doesn't make full contact with the windshield on the last inch of the wiper near the passenger A-pillar. By the time it reaches about 1/5 of the way up, it makes full contact and wipes fine. Not a big deal but I tried another type of these kind (hoping it was just an Bosch design glitch) of new design blades from Rain-X and it did the exact same thing. I think the curvature of the windshield combined with the way the these type of blades apply pressure are the culprits. My Dad put some of these on his Sienna minivan and they work very well for him. Finally, I put on an old fashioned type blade on the passenger side and it wipes all the way with no problems. It's no solution but I've just come to the conclusion that these types of blades (Icon, Rain-X Latitude, etc) just don't put enough pressure all the way along the blades for to work well on our 3rd Gen TL windshields - at least on the passenger side for me.

FYI for those that are reading this and wondering what Bosch Icons are:
http://www.boschautoparts.com/Products/WiperBlades/Icon

Last edited by Yakuza17; 12-29-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:09 AM
∇×E = -∂B/∂t

Originally Posted by playa4real
I have these on my TL and they clean very well, although the windshield has to be a wet otherwise its streaks galore
+1

this seems to be a particular problem with bosch wipers, they didnt do it at first but after a couple uses the streaking seems to get worse.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:44 AM
ROFLCOPTER!

These are the best wipers, period. Of course they won't clean off every bit of crap you get on your window. They are for WATER from this thing called RAIN. lmao.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Clean the grime and grit from the windshield with good ol rubbing alcohol!!
Everyone has wax or rainx or something on there now.
Using the wipers to push dirt or ice is not in their best interest~ or the wiper motor
(gen3 note- some years get recall wiper motor- check your VIN)
Replacing the entire arm and blade is way better than inserts on the OE arms,
the springs wear out and they dont keep even pressure

On the TL the blades extend past a curve in the edge of the window- oh well
they wipe water away great-
you NEED to clean the windshield to get max performance from ANY blades
The ICONS have a special blade design and everything is internal and shrouded- they are quiet and ice doesnt get in a freeze them. Even made with a wind spoiler that helps them hug the glass, or as their ad says- Only Grandma hugs tighter!
Old 12-29-2008, 04:48 PM
2007 Acura TL-S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have these on my integra, they seem to be working fine. did you put them on correctly? i have never had my windshield super dirty. maybe the dirt is causing it? try cleaning them off with a towel.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 1 Post
yeah i'm talking about the bosch icons

when i shoot fluid on the windshield, i expect the wiper to clean that portion. it passes right over the right hand passenger side on the edge without cleaning anything.

i'll go check out the micro edge next.

thanks guys