Blistered bumper paint...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:37 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Blistered bumper paint...

i had my rear bumper replaced after i was rearended in 2008. the body shop (i will designate as A), did great work and the paint came out flawless until...

last fall in 2010, during a routine wash, i noticed there were blisters (like little pimples) scattered over the entire face of the bumper. i was like WTF?! this occured after a pretty prolonged wet spell of rain. in the ensuing days, the blisters slowly disappeared and the paint laid flat again. all was well, but of course in the back of my mind i knew something was not right with the paint, but the only way to prove something was up it had to blister again.

so nothing happened since that time, until after the 5 days of rain and torrential downpours in our area. the blisters were back in my paint with avengence when i was cleaning up the car on monday. ugh...they looked horrible. pics wouldn't do it justice to see how bad they were. tuesday, i call up body shop A and tell them the situation b/c i had a feeling these blisters would disappear and dry out over the course of the week. the girl comes back on the phone and tells me...we do not honor warranty work for work done in 2008. that work was done under previous management (body shop A was bought out by a larger group of shops (B), but they still do business as body shop A) and we will not honor the lifetime warranty agreement. WTH?! she kept asking me if i had done anything to the bumper. um, no...i wash and detail my car regularly other than that, how would i put the blisters in my own paint? so she pretty much put it back on me that i damaged my own bumper. i asked her, so what you're telling me is that i'm SOL? she says, well....yea. there is nothing we can do for you. we rarely do warranty work anyway. i'm thinking, well then why the hell do you have a lifetime warranty agreement on workmanship? she goes on to tell me that paint flaws usually occur after the work has been done, not years after the fact. well proof that well after the fact was sitting on my rear bumper! (any paint experts in the house want to chime in? thanks.) i wanted them to at least look at it while the blisters were there...she says the first available time would be friday. huh? the blisters will be gone by then, that doesnt' help.

i call up another body shop known for their great work and they were able to look at it same day. they take a look at it. he tells me it needs to be redone for it to be right. well yeah...but i shouldn't have to pay for it. he asked me the story of what happened to the bumper and he suggested i talk with the insurance company that handled the claim to see if they would cover it. i call the insurance...no dice. since i didnt' use one of their preferred shops, i'm on my own to get this fixed. great...

meanwhile the blisters as i had predicted have started to dry out again and the paint is slowly returning to normal. i've written a letter to the VP of body shop B that now owns body shop A telling him of my issue and the fact that the warranty is not being honored. i also sent an email to body shop A in hopes a manager gets his eyes on it. any thoughts, advice, feedback, help would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.

i want this fixed and i want it fixed right without forking over money when this should be covered by warranty. there is NOTHING in the warranty that says it will be null and void if mgmt changes. i can understand if they flat out closed but body shop B is doing business as body shop A (so the name of body shop A is still being used). and the lifetime warranty on the website is the exact same form i signed 3 years ago. (sigh).
Old 09-14-2011, 11:41 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
J, I hope you get your baby fixed without paying out of pocket.
The following users liked this post:
TLtrigirl (09-15-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Registered 3.5L Member

Received 154 Likes on 137 Posts
If I were in your situation, I'd make an appointment and go have a sit down with the owner and explain your situation (assuming shop A wasn't bought out by some massive chain, at which point meeting an owner is likely impossible). I had similar problems a few cars ago, except that after a while the bubbles turned into cracks, and then ultimately flaked off exposing the primer underneath. I hope you are able to get this resolved
TLtrigirl (09-14-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 12:32 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by BigPZ
If I were in your situation, I'd make an appointment and go have a sit down with the owner and explain your situation (assuming shop A wasn't bought out by some massive chain, at which point meeting an owner is likely impossible). I had similar problems a few cars ago, except that after a while the bubbles turned into cracks, and then ultimately flaked off exposing the primer underneath. I hope you are able to get this resolved
unfortunately, shop A was bought out by a big group chain in the area (one of the auto groups). i will probably get as far as the manager of the shop. the main reason i wanted to take it back to them yesterday was for them to see the blisters themselves. the paint will have settled by friday assuming they have any openings. i could just stop on their door step on the way to the office too. the last time i emailed the VP of shop B for a different repair a few years ago...i got an immediate response. ugh, its gonna be $600 to fix if i go out of pocket.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Talking to the insurance company is the way to go. I've seen this happen to bumpers before when the bumper is not properly primed before painting or the wrong mix is used.

Good luck.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:58 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Talking to the insurance company is the way to go. I've seen this happen to bumpers before when the bumper is not properly primed before painting or the wrong mix is used.

Good luck.
well the insurance company is not going to cover anything since i didnt go to one of their approved shops where they would guarantee the work. so...i have to fight with the body shop now.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
well the insurance company is not going to cover anything since i didnt go to one of their approved shops where they would guarantee the work. so...i have to fight with the body shop now.
Sorry, but if the insurance company is not going to back you and the body shop that did the work no longer exists then you are probably going to hit a wall on this.

Start looking at quotes for getting the work redone, or see if the body shop will do the work at a reduced rate.
TLtrigirl (09-14-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 02:19 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Sorry, but if the insurance company is not going to back you and the body shop that did the work no longer exists then you are probably going to hit a wall on this.

Start looking at quotes for getting the work redone, or see if the body shop will do the work at a reduced rate.
the body shop by name still exists, but is now operating under different mgmt. its misleading b/c shop A had such a great reputation in the area for their work, but now shop B is doing business as shop A and the quality of work has gone down hill since the take over. if i'm gonna pay out of pocket for this...i might as well wait until the paint starts to really get shitty then get it redone. save them some work.

my first quote from a high end shop known for their work is $600 (ouch) for a sand down and respray. even if i get quotes, the shop still needs to see what is wrong with the paint to even give a good assessment of costs. i haven't peeked at the bumper today, but last night the blisters were slowly going away. if its not raining later i'll go check. this is just so frustrating. i guess body shops are hoping people get rid of the car before they have to honor the warranty as long as you own the car.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
What you need to do is talk to the manager of the shop and tell him that either they can fix it, or you can have another shop fix and and take them to small claims court for the bill. Their choice. Small claims is easy and cheap to file in. You don't need a lawyer. The pics of the blistering, the warranty, your receipt, and a statement from another shop saying its a workmanship flaw will probably be enough.
TLtrigirl (09-14-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Good luck.

Hopes thing go well!
Old 09-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would say threaten small claims court with your documentation and I would also file a caim with the better business bureau.
TLtrigirl (09-14-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 03:52 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by geekybiker
What you need to do is talk to the manager of the shop and tell him that either they can fix it, or you can have another shop fix and and take them to small claims court for the bill. Their choice. Small claims is easy and cheap to file in. You don't need a lawyer. The pics of the blistering, the warranty, your receipt, and a statement from another shop saying its a workmanship flaw will probably be enough.
i have a few pics, but it just doesn't do it justice as to how bad it is/was. grrr. this was the sole reason i wanted them to see it when it was at its worst. and all the stupid girl told me was...our first available is friday. really? you're kidding me right?

Originally Posted by natedoggydog
I would say threaten small claims court with your documentation and I would also file a caim with the better business bureau.
i'm trying to give them a chance to make it right before i go to the BBB. the insurance company even said report to BBB. so frustrating. this is where being a girl is a bit of a disadvantage...of course they haven't met me yet have they?
Old 09-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

i'm trying to give them a chance to make it right before i go to the BBB. the insurance company even said report to BBB. so frustrating. this is where being a girl is a bit of a disadvantage...of course they haven't met me yet have they?
BBB has no teeth. Go straight for small claims. They're bluffing. Call them on it.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:20 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

i don't wanna get too threatening...yet. i'm waiting for a call from the manager tomorrow. so...hopefully something good will come of it. meanwhile the blisters in my bumper have toned themselves down a bit. most of them are gone, but a few stragglers are still peeking out off the paint.

i just want this fixed correctly and the shop to do the right thing. (sigh).
Old 09-15-2011, 10:25 AM

ya know.....you could always show them your guns.....

Old 09-15-2011, 10:28 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^LOL...i could...but mine aren't THAT big. i'm just really annoyed right now with this whole thing. trying to be patient. something i have slowly learned over the years. and that things are not always in your control.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:29 AM

off topic, i havent worked out in 4-6 months....I'm getting fluffy.

butt, I hear ya. patience is hard!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 11:43 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

ok...still no phone call. i figured this would happen. all the meantime, did my interior light LED conversion for my MDX and the TL (almost all the lights).

hmmm...what to do, what to do.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

hmmm...what to do, what to do.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...0&postcount=13
Old 09-16-2011, 12:41 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Update

here's the scoop...after a couple of emails to higher ups at body shop B...i finally get a call from a manager at another one of their shops (not body shop A).

he wants to take a look at the issue and then go from there. so...

i'm hoping this is going to turn out for the better and body shop B comes through to salvage their reputation in the area.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
off topic, i havent worked out in 4-6 months....I'm getting fluffy.
You have fully negated any performance gains from your Pre-cat delete and j-pipe
Old 09-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Registered 3.5L Member

Received 154 Likes on 137 Posts
i'm hoping this is going to turn out for the better and body shop B comes through to salvage their reputation in the area.
This is hopefully what ends up happening...keep us posted!
TLtrigirl (09-16-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 10:54 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Update #2

ok, so i took the car out to body shop B (remember they own body shop A), and the manager, was nice and understanding of my concerns. he looked at it, and said, that's weird, but i see what you mean. he was wondering what could have caused this. he said the only way to figure that out is to pull the bumper and start sanding it down to find out what was under the paint. he definitely said its under the paint and not the clear coat. bottomline, he said they would take care of it.

i also flat out told him (as he may have gathered) i'm very particular and really anal about the car. i also said to him its not so much a time factor or a where to get it done factor to me as i want the job done right by the best person. i did not want to be back there in another 2-3 yrs with the same issue. he reassured me that he would take care of it and make sure everything would be done right (ie put the right person on the job and oversee that the proper steps would be taken to insure as close to perfection as possible). this was also after i told him about my previous experience at another location and how displeased i was with how my car was treated and how the job looked afterwards. he again reassured me that he understands and will make sure everything is taken care of properly to meet my expectations. so i have to give him benefit of the doubt here, and hope he wasn't just trying to tell me what i wanted to hear. we'll see once i take the car back to them and they pull the bumper and start doing their thing and of course...the end result. hopefully i'll be vs

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 09-19-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
Best of luck! Regardless of who does the work paint work generally makes me nervous, then you see the fantastic end result and are pleased and all is well.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by bonnhew
i purchased a Certified pre owned TL-S about 4 months ago.. clean condition.. but recently the paint on the bumper has been starting to show a lot of bubbles and it looks like its going to peel off soon. is the paint job covered under any warranty? the TL-S currently has 51000 miles on it. the bubbles started to appear around 48k miles. I have attached a couple of pics to show you what it looks like. (to be honest it looks much worse than it looks in the pics)

I did get a bumper to bumper dealer warranty on top of the CPO warranty.
suggestions please.

[IMG] [/IMG]
Originally Posted by Nexson
poor prep job, incorrect materials used
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I see a lot of cars bought used that have both bumpers repainted .. usually lease returns ... but anyway .. the dealers send them out for a cheap pretty up repaint to get them sold ..

Most flake , peel , bubble in a few months and just get worse. Only solution is a good repaint.

1/2 the time the shop doesn't even use flex agents.
Just thought you would like to know that there are competent ppl out there and hopefully your bumper gets worked on with the proper techniques
Old 09-19-2011, 11:06 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by ohsixMTee
Best of luck! Regardless of who does the work paint work generally makes me nervous, then you see the fantastic end result and are pleased and all is well.
thanks. i get nervous and lose sleep whenever the car isn't at home (ie its spending the night at the dealer or the body shop), don't ask me why, but yea...i'm a little concerned with this. that's why i told the manager, i want the best painter to do the work and blend it with the car so that when i get it back i get the "WOW!" reaction, not the....hmmm...something doesn't look right, and he understood what i meant. i said its not where i take it, its who's doing the work.

thanks justn. that's what i mean...its the guy doing the work, not necessarily the shop itself. my bumper still had some minute grainy imperfections in it which haven't gone away, so the manager was able to see them. i told him multiply that my 1000 and increase the height by 1-2 mm. now you know what braille feels like. keeping the fingers crossed that these guys come through for me (of course time will tell once the job is done). the manager told me worst case scenario, we get you a new bumper and just do it all over.

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 09-19-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:21 AM
-Brian

Received 241 Likes on 167 Posts
you should be alright. Bubbling happens due to a loss of adhesion or the still gassing off solvents in the paint. If something is painted to quickly without undercoats allowing proper flash time, then is trapped by the top coat (b/c-c/c) then it has no where else to go, except into the top layer. Solvent allows the paint to be sprayed out of the gun and they need to gas off. Which is why you never wax a paint job until after 30 days because then the c/c solvents get trapped!

Last edited by Nexson; 09-19-2011 at 11:26 AM.
justnspace (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 11:24 AM

^speak of the devil.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:12 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

you should be alright. Bubbling happens due to a loss of adhesion or the still gassing off solvents in the paint. If something is painted to quickly without undercoats allowing proper flash time, then is trapped by the top coat (b/c-c/c) then it has no where else to go, except into the top layer. Solvent allows the paint to be sprayed out of the gun and they need to gas off. Which is why you never wax a paint job until after 30 days because then the c/c solvents get trapped!
nexson- i didn't really have bubbles per se...but tiny blisters all over the bumper, like braille or pimples. why would it disappear the first time around and then come back with high moisture in the atmosphere? could that be the solvent or contaminants? keep in mind this happened over two years later and then 3 yrs later, not months. and i waited like 2-3 months before i put anything on the bumper. just curious, always wanna learn something.

so in my case it just seems like carelessness on the painter's part the first time out. (?)
Old 09-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ohsixMTee
Especially with bumpers. I have had bumpers painted 4 times. A total of 7 bumpers. 3 out of the 7 never bubbled. The rest did. One was very bad.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Team Owner

nexson- i didn't really have bubbles per se...but tiny blisters all over the bumper, like braille or pimples. why would it disappear the first time around and then come back with high moisture in the atmosphere? could that be the solvent or contaminants? keep in mind this happened over two years later and then 3 yrs later, not months. and i waited like 2-3 months before i put anything on the bumper. just curious, always wanna learn something.

so in my case it just seems like carelessness on the painter's part the first time out. (?)
Over time the "blisters" or "pimples" can turn into what looks more like bubbles. It is usually caused by an area where the paint didn't properly adhere to the bumper or contamination. Both are very likely. If the paint around it did not adhere very well then over time that area can lift and look like a bubble. Eventually the paint will peel.

I think if the body does a good job with removing the old paint, priming the bumper and then a good job mixing the new paint and spraying it then you should be OK.

Painting bumpers seem to be a mix of science and art and not just painting a bumper.
TLtrigirl (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 01:48 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
wow: My tsx was rearended a few months ago. The other driver's insurance paid to get it fixed at the body shop I chose.They have a lifetime warranty but hopefully I will not have to need it. I am also anal when it comes to my car. I wish you luck and hope your car is fixed correctly.
TLtrigirl (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 01:58 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
wow: My tsx was rearended a few months ago. The other driver's insurance paid to get it fixed at the body shop I chose.They have a lifetime warranty but hopefully I will not have to need it. I am also anal when it comes to my car. I wish you luck and hope your car is fixed correctly.
yea, you hope not to use it and when you do have to use the warranty, you hope the shop still exists.

still waiting to hear back from the manager on when the TL goes in for "surgery." lol.
Acura_Dude (09-19-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc

you can take it wherever and the insurance will pay for it since it aint your insurance.. but if you try to hold the insurance to any defects then they will get out their rule book.. be it your own insurance or the other driver's insurance

and trigirl... invest in a hd camera! this way you can always take great pictures of crap like that for evidence... as corny as it sounds a picture is worth a thousand words
Old 09-20-2011, 03:49 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by FCVadi
you can take it wherever and the insurance will pay for it since it aint your insurance.. but if you try to hold the insurance to any defects then they will get out their rule book.. be it your own insurance or the other driver's insurance

and trigirl... invest in a hd camera! this way you can always take great pictures of crap like that for evidence... as corny as it sounds a picture is worth a thousand words
geico will not cover anything if you take it to any non-approved shop (one not on their list). i already tried this. could be different with other insurances though.

about the camara...yeah i need to do that. any recommendations on a camara that won't break the bank...the holidays are coming up soon (donations and gifts are always welcome.)?? upside the manager did see the blemishes so...they are doing the right thing and honoring the work. gotta see how it turns out on the other end when all is said and done.

looks like "surgery" will be next week. ugh...i hate it when the car isn't at home or in the vicinity of where i know its safe. yeah its my kid....its great to know it doesn't talk back.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:55 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

ok...the car is at the shop...they know i have high expectations, so....we'll see. the actual shop manager said he was surprised i would even notice this issue with my bumper (i'm laughing inside when he said that). he said most people wouldn't think twice about it...i'm looking at him like...i'm not most people and i'm not your typical chick. i told him i wash the car weekly and i know practically every inch of the car. particularly anal? yes. i tell him i'm giving you the keys with great hesitation b/c of previous incidents the car has been through (which i told him about), so he understands my paranoia. so...we'll see, hopefully by wed. the outcome will knock my socks off.

on a side note, there was a black 4G TL sitting in their lot ready to get fixed...it hit a deer based on what i was told. the entire front drive side was f'd up pretty bad. damn...i deer did that?! he said they actually get about 10-15 deer accidents a week right now.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Burning Brakes

if you want to find a good camera for a good price take a look at this site

http://dpreview.com/

they changed up a little so I cant find the easy list of whats good and whats not but if you dig you can find something useful in a good price range.. if you aint a photo fanatic then just look for compact cameras .. that wya it is easy to carry around
Old 09-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

also hitting a deer at 10mph efs up your car... they aint no bambis, more like walking brick houses
Old 09-26-2011, 03:15 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
geico will not cover anything if you take it to any non-approved shop (one not on their list). i already tried this. could be different with other insurances though.
It's a shame you dont live in CA anymore!

According to the California Insurance Code Sec. 758.5 (link), it's unlawful to require using a specific body shop and the ins. company must pay a reasonable cost for the repair at a shop of the customer's choosing.

Last edited by ez12a; 09-26-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:21 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by FCVadi
if you want to find a good camera for a good price take a look at this site

http://dpreview.com/

they changed up a little so I cant find the easy list of whats good and whats not but if you dig you can find something useful in a good price range.. if you aint a photo fanatic then just look for compact cameras .. that wya it is easy to carry around
thanks. i'll take a little peak...might have to add this to my wish list of things...funny thing...all my wish list items cost more than $100.

Originally Posted by ez12a
It's a shame you dont live in CA anymore!

According to the California Insurance Code Sec. 758.5 (link), it's unlawful to require using a specific body shop and the ins. company must pay a reasonable cost for the repair at a shop of the customer's choosing.
^^does this also include warranty coverage for bad work? trust me...everytime i see snow flakes visiting me i ask myself WHY am i still out here?

to add to my adventure...my car was thinking twice about starting this AM to drive over to the shop (could this be a sign?). i had not driven the car in a week, and i did notice last week the car didn't turn over quite as quickly as it normally would when i drove it last. great...the battery is crapping out again (the 2nd honda battery in 6+ years...yes i know they suck, but the first one was replaced for free under warranty). i told the manager i thought the battery was going bad. he offered to have it replaced while the car was there to save myself a trip to the dealer. i asked him for an aftermarket battery that would last longer than the crappy honda one. he told me he'll look into it and give me prices before he replaces it for me. i thought that was a nice gesture. let's see if i have any weird dreams about the car tonight, since it's away from home.

Quick Reply: Blistered bumper paint...