Battery dies when sittingfor a few days

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 02:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battery dies when sittingfor a few days

I let my car sit for a few 3 or 4 days and the battery had died. I have noticed that the side markers do turn on ever so slightly after i shut the car off. They arent on right away but i will go inside and come out awhile later and they are dimmly on all of a suddon. Not as bright as if i turn the lights on but still on. The car has all led lights put in previous to me purchasing. Anyone have an idea as to why this happens?
Old 08-15-2018, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
search for HFL on the forums
Old 08-15-2018, 02:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will the hfl stay on while my car is off or does it some how turn on my side marker lights?
Old 08-15-2018, 03:13 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Yes a failed HFL can stay on even with the car off. No a failed HFL should have nothing to do with your side marker lights being on. If the side markers are actually on, you have something else going on.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Led's have a lower amp draw requiring less power. If the led's didn't have additional resistors built in, they will stay dimly lit.
This isn't going to cause the battery go dead though.

I'm going through a similar problem with the battery going dead.
OEM battery replaced in 2009, so being it was 9 years old, assumed battery needed replacement again. Installed new battery and it went dead after a period of time. Thought HFL, so when charging the battery, checked and found the HFL warm, so removed the unit. Battery went dead once again. Did some draw tests, under hood backup/acc fuse (15) showed parasitic draw, then checked the fuses powered by the under hood fuse, and found the backup fuse (7) still drawing current. This is as far as I've gotten as the backup fuse is the culprit, but as it powers numerous units, haven't dug into the car to find the problem. Don't use the car much, so keep a charger running as I don't want to remove the fuse as it requires the nav/radio to be reset every time. Might try my saver that plugs into the OBDII unit, then remove the fuse, but just not certain as to how long the saver will last.
Hope yours isn't much of a problem.

Last edited by Turbonut; 08-15-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:42 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
My battery was replaced a month before the car went to auction, and the dealer I bought it from said it may be getting weak, but I never noticed... Well, a few months later, I had a weak crank once or twice, keep in mind, I drive this car every day... Anyway, it was completely dead one day, I had been out lisining to the radio for a couple hours the night before... So, I had it jumped, and put a battery in it that night... This was in November 2017... The "old" battery I had removed was from April 2017, that's when I knew I had a problem... My HFL would not work, and would only message "Booting Up..." Don't know if that was the problem or not... But I had several other electrical problems too, intermitant of course... The altinator was replaced when the car was under a year old...

I never figured out out what was wrong, I traded the car for a Kia Optima and never looked back...

The stupid clock would only light up with the ignition and not accessory as every other car on earth does including my RDX... So I'd have to quickly flip the ignition on and off the see what time it is... Do that 3 or 4 times and the battery would be very weak, and it would click and crank and usually I would get it to start under its own power by some miracle... I only had to use my jump box twice...

This is what went on for six months^^^^

Either way, flip your ignition on and off a few times and see what happens... Don't think it's the battery... Check to see if all the accessories work like windows, memory seats, ect... Try the HFL (Bluetooth)... Just see if everything works...

But something is definitely going on if your side markets are on... Are your lights in the Auto or Off position... Just thought of that, but I don't know if that will mean anything...

I just shared my story, sorry for the long post...

Either way, hope you get to the bottom of it!!!

Old 08-15-2018, 10:52 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mwichael
Will the hfl stay on while my car is off or does it some how turn on my side marker lights?
HFL is the most common source of a battery that goes dead regularly on this gen Acura TL. Worth at least investigating first since it's so easy to unplug and rule out as a cause.

If it's something else related to your side marker light issue, then it could be something more difficult to diagnose. There have been a few secondary items posted on the forums that have resulted in a dead battery too. A search on the forums will turn up a few threads.