Bad bulb(s), ballast(s), and/or other electrical problem?

Old 09-25-2017, 03:19 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad bulb(s), ballast(s), and/or other electrical problem?

Hello fellow Acura TL owners. I currently own a 2004 Acura TL which has accrued some electrical issues. I do not really care about the other electrical issues, but maybe some context will allow you to diagnose the issue. First off, my car has had electrical issues for many years. It started with the headlights where one bulb would turn on and the other one would not and sometimes both of them would turn on. This would happen on either side. Over the years, there have been variations of this where they would not turn on at all, that they would flicker, that they would turn off when I am driving, that the light would look purple (this was only for a few days), etc. Currently, the driver's side will flicker rapidly and turn off. It never stays on. On the passenger's side, the light will turn on occasionally after many attempts. The brights do not work. The fog light works only on the driver's side. And I believe that all of the lights on the side do not either which are located near the doors. I believe that this is only the case on the driver's side. On the inside of the car, the lights do not work for the gear shifter, only one mirror works electronically, etc. I attempted to fix the issue with no success yesterday. I initially switched the bulbs and it did not fix the issue. I switched the ballasts and it did not fix the issue either. After switching the ballasts, I switched the bulbs with the same response. I did not put any new bulbs or ballasts in. I switched the ones that are already installed in my car. I checked the fuses for the low beam lights and they all look fine. Does anyone have any idea(s) what the issue(s) can/could be? Also, does anyone know where I can buy inexpensive bulbs and/or ballasts in the store?
Old 09-25-2017, 04:32 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
The brights won't work if the low beams don't work...it is the same bulb for both...it is a mechanical flap that moves to switch between low and high.

The side markers tend to get weak or fail over time as well. My '05 has a failed passenger marker and a very dim driver's side marker. Generally just need to replace them.

As for the fog light...have you replaced the bulb yet? Nothing fancy about the fogs really. Standard halogen bulbs.

As for in the store for bulbs and/or ballasts....dealer is about it usually. Your best best is to order decent replacements online and start your swapping around and replacing with new parts.

Search this Thread