Bad axle?

Syptoms
Slight click turning left
soft click when i take off , just one.
soft click into reverse, just one.
a little dirty up near the inner joint
hum from psngr frnt wheel on freeway.
slight steering vibe high speed

i dont recall the clicking sound until after the drilled n slotted brake set went on. But i might not have noticed before. Its only when the car changes thrust direction.

I read about the pads shifting in the caliper causing a click, but the fronts are stock pads rn, just to check. Same sound. Most tech articles describe a cluck in the same circumstances as my click, with the inner joint being the cause.

idk, money is tight and i wanna be decently sure im spending wisely. One thread said tighten or replace the axle nut...

thinking its gotta be axle.
ETA
car has no transmission issues, shifts smooth as silk, nice pink pretty fluid, never any blinky lights.

Last edited by SocomM4; 07-19-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Apply slight pressure to your brake pedal then turn left to see of if same noise.
If boot is wet, check to see if torn and when making tight turns, there is usually more than one click.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:41 AM
Cold Business

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Apply slight pressure to your brake pedal then turn left to see of if same noise.
If boot is wet, check to see if torn and when making tight turns, there is usually more than one click.
when i make a tight turn, there is clicking consistant with outter joint failure.

forgot to mention,
I grabbed the inner joint, and tried to check for play , it has some. I can move it 1/8th of an inch .
Old 07-21-2017, 08:30 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Sounds like a bad axle. Clicking is indicative of a bad outer joint, as you said. Symptoms of a bad inner joint are shuddering or shaking during acceleration. As Turbonut said, check for dampness and cracks in the boots.

The hum from your passenger front wheel at speeds may be the wheel bearing. See if the humming goes away when you are turning right and stays when you are turning left. Same deal with the axle, the symptoms should be more evident when you are turning the opposite direction of the side you think is bad. Reason being the weight of the car is going to shift to the opposite side of the direction you are turning.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:05 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
I've had a similar problem when I was lowered + camber kits up front.
Thought it was a bad axle but turns out the camber kit was giving me the click + clunk sounds on acceleration + deceleration.
I would also check the inner and outer tie rods as they can give out resulting in vibrations.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:14 PM
Cold Business

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by byomes
I've had a similar problem when I was lowered + camber kits up front.
Thought it was a bad axle but turns out the camber kit was giving me the click + clunk sounds on acceleration + deceleration.
I would also check the inner and outer tie rods as they can give out resulting in vibrations.

both of the boots are nice and thick rubbery new feeling fuckers.

the click is reeealy faint when i turn, its a very light "tink tink". Im pulling that direction in motion, and it was humming pretty cool. Maybe bearing?
Old 07-23-2017, 09:30 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Had the same symptoms a few years ago but would only show up in the winter. It ended up being the axle. Saved some money by buying on Ebay...OEM part. My local mom and pop shop who only does Honda's suggested to just get one from the local auto store...which is odd b/c they typically only use genuine Honda parts and it's the first time they told me they'd recommend a non Honda part.