Axle replacement causing tranny leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axle replacement causing tranny leak

Why would the replacement of my axle cause me to see some what I think it transmission fluid leak.

Photos/explanations please.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:33 AM
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Cheap replacement axles with a slighter longer shaft so the axle won't seat properly. My friend just had this same problem on his 07, had trans fluid all over his driveway the next morning. Got an oem one and it's fine now.
The following users liked this post:
ROSSARONIE (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 11:35 AM
Intermediate

I have a 2007 as well. It actually popped out this morning I took it back and was re-seated.

I am trying to determine if what Im currently seeing is left over, or a newer leak.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:36 AM
TL-S

Received 413 Likes on 366 Posts
when you remove the axle, some fluid comes out (at least it did with my 6MT, im pretty sure it would be the same with an Auto tranny, just not sure about the amount of fluid that would come out) As the poster above me mentioned if the new axle doesnt seat properly it could cause a leak.

My question is do you see a spot or area where it leaked on the ground, or do you see some residual trans fluid on the bottom of the car (Which could just be from the replacement process)

To answer your question, its definitely possible for it to leak after replacement if something wasn't done properly or quality parts were not used. I didnt have a leak with aftermarket axles, but got really bad vibration after about 5k miles on them. Switched to OEMs and never had an issue after that. Felt like a different car.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,737 Likes on 6,740 Posts
Originally Posted by ROSSARONIE

I am trying to determine if what Im currently seeing is left over, or a newer leak.
Clean it properly and wait.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:03 PM
Intermediate

There is fluid under/on the car, and on the ground. I will be monitoring the situation. Its hard to tell, but I know I have plenty of fluid in there currently.

I may be revisting the shop it was done at.

Thanks

Originally Posted by quanaman
when you remove the axle, some fluid comes out (at least it did with my 6MT, im pretty sure it would be the same with an Auto tranny, just not sure about the amount of fluid that would come out) As the poster above me mentioned if the new axle doesnt seat properly it could cause a leak.

My question is do you see a spot or area where it leaked on the ground, or do you see some residual trans fluid on the bottom of the car (Which could just be from the replacement process)

To answer your question, its definitely possible for it to leak after replacement if something wasn't done properly or quality parts were not used. I didnt have a leak with aftermarket axles, but got really bad vibration after about 5k miles on them. Switched to OEMs and never had an issue after that. Felt like a different car.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 97 Posts
They may have damaged the seal
Old 03-01-2016, 03:10 PM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
It's leaking because there is a rubber seal that needs to be replaced on the driver's side axle. I had the same issue when I switched from OEM to aftermarket GSP axles. I replaced the axle seal with a new one and the leak stopped immediately.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Intermediate

I returned to the shop yesterday morning, because of a consistent puddle I saw under my car. This was not a large puddle, but I saw it after several stops.

After getting the car on the lift, I was told that the axle wasn't completely set again, and was popping out, causing the leak. He put in a different axle. After driving about 40 miles yesterday, a check engineer light came on with the code, P0741. I added some transmission fluid.

THis morning I find another puddle under my car.

Any recommendations? could the Axle not seating properly cause this transmission error?

I'm going to call the mechanic back, but looking for some info first.

THanks
Old 03-03-2016, 11:09 AM
TL-S

Received 413 Likes on 366 Posts
I'd look into the above mentioned rubber seal.