Any other 6MT'ers with clutch pedal click?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 03:29 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Question Any other 6MT'ers with clutch pedal click?

If I don't have the audio system on, I've noticed that every time I push in the clutch pedal that there is a slight audible click. Anybody else have this sound? I can live with it...it's really the only flaw I've found in my otherwise perfect TL.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea I discussed this before, and you can feel the click on your foot as well. WD-40 takes it right away. Spray it up under your dash where the ball bearing joints are which connect the pedal to the clutch hydralic.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SBTL
If I don't have the audio system on, I've noticed that every time I push in the clutch pedal that there is a slight audible click. Anybody else have this sound? I can live with it...it's really the only flaw I've found in my otherwise perfect TL.
nope. havent seen that problem on my 6MT (yet).
Old 04-28-2004, 03:51 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by coop1018
Yea I discussed this before, and you can feel the click on your foot as well. WD-40 takes it right away. Spray it up under your dash where the ball bearing joints are which connect the pedal to the clutch hydralic.
Thanks for the input. I'll try it!
Old 04-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Let me know if it works for yoU!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:37 AM
10th Gear

Yep - I have the same problem. The Service 'Mgr' for my area brought over some parts that he thinks will correct my problem - I just haven't had time to go drop off my car at the shop. I am now starting to notice once in a while my clutch does not feel 'smooth' when shifting - feels like the gears are slightly grinding. I don't know if one has to do with the other - but I hope it does not continue.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:46 AM
User Registered

Yes.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
it looks like i have the same problem - did you guys find any pernament solution to this problem?
Old 10-06-2005, 02:59 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Manufacturers need to start working away from mechanical switches and move to non-contact optical. We would benefit from a quieter cabin and a couple less complaints if they had thought this one through a bit more thoroughly. We've had complaints about both the brake switch as well as the clutch switch plungers which are both noisy, especially if pressed off axis. I am certain in time optical switches will replace the mechanical switches as costs of the mechanical parts goes up, and the opticals switch costs go down.

I guess this one rates pretty low on the cost benefit scale but they could have eliminated all these complaints with a few dollars worth of components.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:54 AM
Racer

nope
Old 10-06-2005, 04:58 AM
Intermediate

I have been having this similiar prob off and on....To describe how it feels....I would say it is like pulling a frayed cable thru a sleeve
Old 10-06-2005, 06:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Is it even worth the hassle to talk to a dealer about this problem? I do not want to sound or look stupid when I request a fix for this and they say that nothing is wrong with it
Old 10-06-2005, 10:39 AM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mlody
Is it even worth the hassle to talk to a dealer about this problem? I do not want to sound or look stupid when I request a fix for this and they say that nothing is wrong with it
Not worth it. They take lower dash apart to work on clutch. I got this done and then sound went away just for couple of weeks.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:54 AM
SSM 6MT

I had this problem too when my car was a little over one year old. For my one year service, I mentioned and they fixed it although I'm not sure what they did. I think they just lubed it. The problem did not come back to date but we'll see if it does another year from now.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:57 PM
04 Anthracite,6spd,No Nav

I had a clicking noice coming from the pedal when releasing the clutch around 4k miles (letting off). Right about the last quarter of release a click could be heard. Only difference with mine is you could actually feel the click on your foot as well. I took the car to the dealer and they replaced my entire master cylinder along with some other stuff like springs or something. I know, its seems crazy for that to be needed on a brand new car. Anyway, problem solved and have not had an issue since (now at 23k).
Old 10-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Advanced

No "click" here on my manual...
Old 10-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

yep, yep, I got the click too. particularily loud, and I feel it in my foot. I called Acura dealers on this, and they keep insisting that its normal and just something engaging. But I highly doubt thats it, because it feels like its coming from the pedal and not from inside the car.

If I press the clutch down fast, I don't hear/feel it as much, but if I press it down slowly, I feel/hear it everytime.

very hard to describe, but speedracer's analogy is pretty much how it feels.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:16 PM
Advanced

COUNT ME IN WITH THE CLICKITY CLUTCH PEDAL CREW
Old 10-14-2005, 12:21 AM
never stops!

Originally Posted by speedracerIII
I have been having this similiar prob off and on....To describe how it feels....I would say it is like pulling a frayed cable thru a sleeve

Could not have described it better. Exact sound.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

I picked up my car from the service and Acura also fixed my clutch problem. They replaced the clutch master cylinder and everything is much smoother without any hesitation in the pedal and noise. BTW my problem was exactly like Nello1’s – I could feel the click more often then actually hear it. Anyway the problem is solved, so I would advice people with a clutch problem to visit an Acura dealer and request the clutch master cylinder to be replaced
Old 10-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mlody
I picked up my car from the service and Acura also fixed my clutch problem. They replaced the clutch master cylinder and everything is much smoother without any hesitation in the pedal and noise. BTW my problem was exactly like Nello1’s – I could feel the click more often then actually hear it. Anyway the problem is solved, so I would advice people with a clutch problem to visit an Acura dealer and request the clutch master cylinder to be replaced
Strange, I looked up the part number that they used to replace the master clutch cylinder and the same part number is applicable to TSX and RSX – weird
Old 02-08-2006, 08:27 PM
'05 TL MT BLK NAV

Howdy,

I took my 05TL into the dealer today for the sticky/clicky clutch problem. At first, they could not replicate my problem. So I went and picked-up the car tonight, and BANG it started doing it again.

The tech took a look, and found it to be the master clutch cylinder. They took my car back into the shop...I get it back on Friday.

It's strange the problem was not there in the morning, when the car was cold. Only after baking a day in the sun was the problem revealed.

Hope this helps other people with the problem!

For those in the Bay Area looking to get this problem fixed, I took my car into Pleasanton Acura. PM me if you want the tech's ID or my invoice # to help solve your problem.

Mm
Old 02-08-2006, 09:19 PM
never stops!

Originally Posted by mmorgensen
Howdy,

I took my 05TL into the dealer today for the sticky/clicky clutch problem. At first, they could not replicate my problem. So I went and picked-up the car tonight, and BANG it started doing it again.

The tech took a look, and found it to be the master clutch cylinder. They took my car back into the shop...I get it back on Friday.

It's strange the problem was not there in the morning, when the car was cold. Only after baking a day in the sun was the problem revealed.

Hope this helps other people with the problem!

For those in the Bay Area looking to get this problem fixed, I took my car into Pleasanton Acura. PM me if you want the tech's ID or my invoice # to help solve your problem.

Mm
I'm due for service in another 40% and would like to get this done. Can you please PM me with the invoice # and service rep. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:12 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems like I am developing this problem, I have 13k miles on my 2004 TL, and it just started clicking, and I can feel it everytime, it click when its almost at the end.

I really rather avoid taking the car in for service, so I will try to see if I can lube everything I see down there, and hoping it will solve the problem.

Shifting is the same, clutch pedal feel is the same.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:40 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Been going on for a few months now and I am a lazy ass and havent lubed the pedal yet.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:54 AM
Forced Induction

Originally Posted by subinf
Been going on for a few months now and I am a lazy ass and havent lubed the pedal yet.
I dont know, its just a real tiny litte thing, but it gets to be so annoying
Old 05-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

Lubing it up will not do much good...The spring inside the master cylinder is defective and basically rubs inside the sleeve. Mine became more pronounced if the car was warm or if you let the car sit and idle...i.e....rush hour traffic. Acura replaced the master cylinder and all is good. There is a TSB on the RSX for the same exact thing...I used this to get negotiate what I needed.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:47 PM
7th Gear

Must be different causes. Master cylinder vs other. This has been driving me crazy and right before I was going to go through the dealer process I tried the WD40 and for 4 days now it is as smooth as it was when I got it. So much better.

We'll see if it lasts.... I already had it lubed recently at my last service visit which lasted all of a day or two.

I guess I'd recommend trying the WD40 first since it is so easy to do and if that doesn't work getting the dealer to replace the master cylinder.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:09 PM
04 Anthracite,6spd,No Nav

Master Cylinder

ITs like speedracerIII said, replace the master cylinder and you should be good to go. I had the same problem and that is exactly how they fixed it. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:46 AM
never stops!

Originally Posted by Nello1
ITs like speedracerIII said, replace the master cylinder and you should be good to go. I had the same problem and that is exactly how they fixed it. Good luck.
I got this done at my last service and it's smooth like butter without any noise.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Forced Induction

The thing is, trying to convince some of these asshole Acura service dept. to replace something. They are content on trying to prove its supposed to be that way.

I feel like everytime the car is in for repair, there is a greater chance of it coming back needing more work.........

I would recommend lethium grease instead of anything else........last a long ass time, might be a bit messy......I havent tried it yet, my problem seems to have vanished......for now
Old 05-18-2006, 01:38 PM
never stops!

Originally Posted by DeadLock
The thing is, trying to convince some of these asshole Acura service dept. to replace something. They are content on trying to prove its supposed to be that way.

I feel like everytime the car is in for repair, there is a greater chance of it coming back needing more work.........

I would recommend lethium grease instead of anything else........last a long ass time, might be a bit messy......I havent tried it yet, my problem seems to have vanished......for now

Deadlock, ask them to go thru the TSX TSBs. There is one with this problem and says you've to replace master cylinder. That is what I did with my service technician and he agreed. I do not have the TSB no. handy though.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:29 PM
Need More HP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a 2004 6MT and had this clicking when depressing the clutch in and then I stepped off the clutch. I brought it to the dealer back in 2004 and they mentioned a technical service bulletin about this. They replaced something (spring?) and it has not come back since.
If it is in the clutch pedal assembly you hear the clicking, tell your dealer to check back on 2004 TSB's for this issue. Mine was resolved under warranty and has not come back. Good Luck!
Old 05-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Intermediate

My 2004 6MT had the clicking sound and a binding/pop feedback you could feel in the pedal. Seemed to be worse when it was warmer (> 40 deg F). Dealer replaced the master cylinder under warranty. I think the Accord Coupe 6spd had a TSB on this as well. At the time I wasn't able to find a TSB for the TL.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Cruisin'

I got the clicking sound too. i took my 6MT into the dealer twice and they could not fix it. saying i was the first and only person to complain about the issue. so the tech went ahead and ordered a new clutch assembly for me. will be getting it fixed soon.

i really think we all should get together and write a formal complaint to corporate headquarters. and maybe they'll get a bulletine out.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:28 AM
Intermediate

2004 6MT.. i got the pedal click.. when the radio is on im not bothered by it... but sometimes i like to turn it down and thats when it bothers me. not only can i hear the slight click ( i hear a couple ), but i can feel it as well. can the rest of you feel when it clicks?
Old 05-19-2006, 06:18 AM
Forced Induction

yea I can deff feel it..........very very annoying, but it hasnt come back yet, I am covered till 62k miles (only have 13k miles on the car) so I am not worried, I will get it replaced soon.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:12 PM
Cruisin'

after two attempts at fixing the problem, i told to dealer to just replace the clutch assembly itself. this solved the clicking problem, and i don't know exactly what it is but my car feels more powerful and shifts alot smoother. it was all covered under warrenty so i didn't have to pay out of pocket. you guys should consider replaceing the clutch assembly.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Instructor

I have the squeek, but not sure about the click. Is this the same master cylinder problem?
Old 09-21-2006, 10:21 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jmichaelp
I have the squeek, but not sure about the click. Is this the same master cylinder problem?
Based on my limited experience, I'd sa it is not the same. With my master cylinder problem I had the click and you could definitely feel it in your foot as you pressed and released the clutch. There would be a popping sensation as the force feedback on your foot changed, kinda like it was binding and then releasing.

Quick Reply: Any other 6MT'ers with clutch pedal click?