Another way to fix your headliner

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 07:02 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another way to fix your headliner

Got no response at all when I first posted - maybe lost in the thread I used...

After my epoxy design failed to last more than two weeks and the dealer epoxy failed to last more than 2 minutes I went out on a limb with a new approach - and it is working great so far. Read on if you are having epoxy troubles....

Attached are pics of what I did to fix my headliner. Magnets. Yep, you read it right - M-A-G-N-E-T-S!! The first pic shows the metal snips I bought and a piece of metal stripping. I cut out three pieces the same exact size as the velcro so I could slip the metal into the clip-like holders on the headliner side. Could not find the exact thickness of metal so I went for a thinner one and shoved some thin cardboard under it (like a matchbook thickness) I had some thicker metal, but it was stressing the clips too much I was afraid they would snap, so I went thinner.

Scraped off all the failed glue attempts - both my own and the dealer's. Went to a website called www.kjmagnetics.com where they sell all kinds of super powerful magnets - all shapes and sizes. Guys, these things will pinch your fingers - unbelivable strength. The magnets in the picture were not actually used - while they would not let go of the metal strip above, they were 3/8 thick and you need to use 1/4 " thick magnet - otherwise you give yourself a permanant gap of about an 1/8" and that is what we are trying to avoid. So I used 1/2 diameter x 1/4 thick disc magnets. Three of #D84B Grade N45 Disc, 1/2 x 1/4".

Stuck one to each of my 3 square metal plates I cut from the metal and then pushed them up to the piece of flexible steel that the old velcros were glued to. Bingo! Headliner is up there and is not coming down. If it does come down - like I said the 3/8" magnets were 3/4 " x 3/8" too thick, I will go and order some 3/4" x 1/4" and use them, but I think these I am using are good enough. Check out the
pics.

Snips bought at Home Depot and some metal stripping too :

If they had only used these wonderful clips on the top side of this we would not be having this conversation! Clips holding metal where it used to hold velcro.

Gap before:

Magnet stuck to metal (not the magnet actually used.) More strength than needed, but just 1/8 inch too thick. Did this on all three clips.

After: No gap! Holding strong.

Old 07-20-2004, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
What kind of response were you looking for?

We appreciate the info, and so far it looks like a good method, but let's not beat this into the ground. This is the third submission in as many days. There is no practical way to keep this at the top of the forum, especially considering the length of the thread and the data space required for the pictures.

Maybe rets can put this in the 3G Garage? Putting the link there will not take up any additional space but will still provide a reference.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:36 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Nothing I guess Ron. People were practically having orgasms over the glue fix, I thought this was an equally effective fix - IMO currently working better. Just surprised that for all the crying on this forum about headliners falling (and the sky too for some people) even I complained of the headliner issue, that there were no praises or critism to be had...or even these reputation points (whatever they are).

I was just trying to help any of the many complainers out there with an alternative to the glue as some had complained the glue was not holding. So much forum space is wasted on "What is the hole in my bumper for" that I figured this would have been of more interest to some.

Please feel free to delete all 3 posts. I have my fix so I am happy.

Peace.

Originally Posted by Ron A
What kind of response were you looking for?

We appreciate the info, and so far it looks like a good method, but let's not beat this into the ground. This is the third submission in as many days. There is no practical way to keep this at the top of the forum, especially considering the length of the thread and the data space required for the pictures.

Maybe rets can put this in the 3G Garage? Putting the link there will not take up any additional space but will still provide a reference.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:52 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Your epoxy fix failed? That's very interesting. What sort of epoxy did you use, and did it fail suddenly or did it fail gradually over time?
Old 07-20-2004, 10:39 AM
Team Anthracite Member

First time I did it - when I first suggested it as a fix to the Forum, it held for 2 weeks - no problems, then it came apart at the white tape (because I was afraid to take off the white sticky tape before gluing for fear of making the liner fit too tight, so I put the glue on the white tape and that is what failed) The white tape ripped apart. The glue never gave way - it is the best stuff I have ever used - your typical epoxy - 2 tubes, push down on plunger, get equal amounts and mix. I had dealer fix the next time as they said they were using epoxy now as the fix. But that failed same day I suspect because they attached the liner without letting it cure.

I thought no problem I will redo using my glue, but just gluing the black velcro piece, not the white tape and for some reason it failed a day or two after I let it cure for a full 2 days without attaching. Proper prep etc. Scored the back side of the velcro too. Guess I messed something up - so I went another route.

Originally Posted by Lore
Your epoxy fix failed? That's very interesting. What sort of epoxy did you use, and did it fail suddenly or did it fail gradually over time?
Old 07-21-2004, 07:15 AM
Intermediate

This looks like a great idea. Mine just started to fall a little.

Quick question.....You only need to cut 3 metal pieces for the clips on the bottom of the headliner? The magnet will attach to the top metal frame of the roof ok?

What type (gage) metal did you use? Standard galvanized sheet metal? And did you have to use any adhesive to hold the metal in the clips or did stuffing it with cardboard work?

How strong are the magnets? Do you ever see it falling in the future or would you say you permanently fixed it?

Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:02 AM
Banned

TBone,

Thanks for taking the time to do this! The pictures were great! You rock man!
Old 07-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Administrator

I know what you were trying to do, and you did a great job of getting the info in. The pictures are great, too. I didn't know what the lower clip looked like. I should have looked when I fixed my headliner but I forgot, and now I don't want to disturb it, so the pictures helped me understand how it works.

I have copied the shortcut for this thread to my info files, and will use it for reference when the need arises. Most of the older TL's with headliner problems have been repaired, and the newer TL's don't have the problem (I think), so new owner's don't know what we are talking about, but there will probably still be questions about this for a while.

I am patiently waiting until you have had the magnets installed long enough to be sure this works, but it looks like it will. Have they withstood the 100mph moonroof open test yet? As you have said, if Acura had spent a few cents more to put the clips that hold the velcro on both the headliner AND the metal bar, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Keep up the good work. I have no intention of ever deleting this thread with all of its good info.

Just to sum up the info, here is the pricing info and link for the magnets www.kjmagnetics.com

$5.40 Three D84B N45 Disc magnets 1/2X1/4”
$4.50 Standard mail shipping
$6.00 Priority mail shipping
Old 07-21-2004, 10:07 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Uh oh, I used epoxy on the tape side of the velcro strip too... I wonder if that's going to come apart for me too.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lore
Uh oh, I used epoxy on the tape side of the velcro strip too... I wonder if that's going to come apart for me too.
So far, tbone2004 is the only one I know of to report the white (sticky) part separating from the black (velcro) part. Everyone else who used epoxy on the tape side is still holding (so far).

But now we have an alternate method, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:07 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Thanks - I was so excited about this fix - that's how I got anxious about posting it - I am glad Ron is gonna leave it - it was one of those pump the fist in the air fixes...yes, my wife REALLY thinks I am nuts now...anyway, back to your question, yes I cut 3 square pieces of the metal - left, center and right side (assuming all three have come undone). The magnets have poles on both sides so they can be sandwiched in between two pieces of metal. It stuck no problem - even through the glue scrapings.

I guess it was standard sheet metal. It is stiffer than duct work metal - it was at Home Depot in the hardware section, by hinges etc and angle brackets. If you make a good fit when cutting, very minimal stuffing is required. With the force of the magnet pulling on it, the piece probably will not shift, I just wanted it tighter with the cardboard - cause who needs a self created rattle!

These magnets are stronger than anything I have ever seen. I wrote several emails to Kevin (I am guessing the K of K&J) questioning the strength...they are REAL strong. I first put in the bigger magnets 3/4 x 3/4 x 3/8 - it left a gap of 1/8 inch cause the magnet is too thick - when I went to separate the headliner from roof, to put in smaller magnets, the flexible sheet metal of our roof, came with the headliner as I pulled it down - ain't coming apart. Certainly, I was able to separate them, but it was very strong. The smaller ones that I currently have in there - I wish were a bit stronger - as I can separate them easier - if it does fail during Ron's open roof test, I will opt for the 3/4 x 3/4 X 1/4 size if I can find it.

I do not see it coming down - cause according to my new friends at K&J, the magnet is good until temps of like 170 degrees or something, and if I hit a bump hard enough to jar it loose - I got bigger problems to deal with.

I will let you know how it does at 80 mph with the roof open tonight and report back.

I feel very confident that the idea of magnet will be a permananet fix - I may have to use a bigger size if it does not hold, cause like I said the bigger ones would not come off almost. It took me longer that night to separate the magnets from each other than it did to do the entire fix. VERY strong.

Lets see if they pass the 80 test tonight.

Originally Posted by STaylorgr8
This looks like a great idea. Mine just started to fall a little.

Quick question.....You only need to cut 3 metal pieces for the clips on the bottom of the headliner? The magnet will attach to the top metal frame of the roof ok?

What type (gage) metal did you use? Standard galvanized sheet metal? And did you have to use any adhesive to hold the metal in the clips or did stuffing it with cardboard work?

How strong are the magnets? Do you ever see it falling in the future or would you say you permanently fixed it?

Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Yep - i think I got the weak white tape

If people have made it passed 2 weeks, then you are probably OK (that's when my tape cried Uncle)- a lot of folks are in CA or FL - so you have much more heat than I had at the time.

If not, we now have a work around - and if this does not work either - we all go in on some sawzall's (sp?) and make 'em convertibles!!!!

Originally Posted by Ron A
So far, tbone2004 is the only one I know of to report the white (sticky) part separating from the black (velcro) part. Everyone else who used epoxy on the tape side is still holding (so far).

But now we have an alternate method, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:25 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by TBone2004
If not, we now have a work around - and if this does not work either - we all go in on some sawzall's (sp?) and make 'em convertibles!!!!

Hey, now that's an idea.

Mine's been holding strong for about a week now. But then again, I'm not parking in direct sunlight very much. Most of the facilities I've been working at have covered parking, so that's kind of nice.

I'll keep an eye out.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

make sure you dont hold your hd-based mp3 player to the roof! :p
Old 07-21-2004, 02:42 PM