Airbag light comes on

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 01:02 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag light comes on

airbag light comes on when passenger is in the car?
Old 08-15-2015, 08:30 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine does this too. Well, it happens if the passenger puts on the seatbelt after the car is turned on. If they put it on when the car is off, it doesn't turn on (airbag light) when i actually turn the car on. I was told this is a common problem with some Honda/acura and to have the dealer check it out. Last time someone scanned my car I was told it has something to do with the seat-belt buckle.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:48 PM
Make it so

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
I had this same problem happen recently- the airbag light would sometimes stay on while the car was driving, sometimes it would turn off, and it didn't matter if someone was in the passenger seat or not.

This problem cannot be diagnosed using an OBDII reader- SRS codes are pulled using HDS (Honda Diagnostic System), which is a dealer-specific computer program and system.

In my case, it was the seat belt buckle that was malfunctioning, and it is covered under a lifetime warranty through Acura.

Here's what I did to fix it:

1. Make an appointment at an Acura dealership. Unfortunately, you can't do it through a non-Acura shop (not even at Honda dealers) because it is an Acura-specific part and they can't order it easily. Tell them what the problem is and they will tell you that they need to run a diagnostic. They'll want to charge the diagnostic fee, and that's fine, but once they confirm it is the buckle, they won't actually charge you for it because it's a warranty issue.

2. Get it diagnosed. If it is your seat belt buckle, it will give them a code like "62-10". 62-10 is the code for the passenger side front buckle not working.

3. They'll order in the part. They call you when it gets in.

4. You get there and after about an hour, they have replaced it for free.

I was able to get it all for free by talking a Honda dealer into doing an HDS check on my car as a way to make up for something they screwed up during a service appointment. Acura wouldn't take their result so they did their own diagnosis, but again they didn't charge me since it was what I told them it was.

Of course, your mileage may vary if it ends up not being the buckle. But if it is, my steps above should work for you (but again, I'm not liable in case they don't. It's worth a try though).

Good luck!
Old 08-15-2015, 11:24 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
my airbag light was for my passenger seat buckle. And DuoDSG is correct. Many posts here about the seat belt buckle malfunctioning. Acura took care of it, and didn't charge me the diagnostic.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:02 AM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
If you guys have Navigation, you should be able to find the code in the messages without needing to get it scanned with HDS. Mine showed up in there indicating a problem with my front right impact sensor. I replaced the cheap sensor and all is good now. No more intermittent airbag lights! I have a write up on here with the sensor replacement.

Seat belts are a common source of an airbag light too. Some people have been successful getting the dealer to replace it at no cost since the seat belts have lifetime warranty. Other's haven't been successful with that. Depends on your dealer.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by DuoDSG
I had this same problem happen recently- the airbag light would sometimes stay on while the car was driving, sometimes it would turn off, and it didn't matter if someone was in the passenger seat or not.

This problem cannot be diagnosed using an OBDII reader- SRS codes are pulled using HDS (Honda Diagnostic System), which is a dealer-specific computer program and system.

In my case, it was the seat belt buckle that was malfunctioning, and it is covered under a lifetime warranty through Acura.

Here's what I did to fix it:

1. Make an appointment at an Acura dealership. Unfortunately, you can't do it through a non-Acura shop (not even at Honda dealers) because it is an Acura-specific part and they can't order it easily. Tell them what the problem is and they will tell you that they need to run a diagnostic. They'll want to charge the diagnostic fee, and that's fine, but once they confirm it is the buckle, they won't actually charge you for it because it's a warranty issue.

2. Get it diagnosed. If it is your seat belt buckle, it will give them a code like "62-10". 62-10 is the code for the passenger side front buckle not working.

3. They'll order in the part. They call you when it gets in.

4. You get there and after about an hour, they have replaced it for free.

I was able to get it all for free by talking a Honda dealer into doing an HDS check on my car as a way to make up for something they screwed up during a service appointment. Acura wouldn't take their result so they did their own diagnosis, but again they didn't charge me since it was what I told them it was.

Of course, your mileage may vary if it ends up not being the buckle. But if it is, my steps above should work for you (but again, I'm not liable in case they don't. It's worth a try though).

Good luck!
exactly what he said. should apply to both driver and passenger side
Old 11-16-2015, 08:02 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
I have these codes show up, through a local mechanic shop.

The following codes are showing

62-10 - Open in right front seat buckle switch

81-61 - No signal from the front passengers weight sensor

is the 81-61 code caused by the 62-10 code?