Acura tl 05 6sd. Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:45 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura tl 05 6sd. Problems

Just joined in.

My problems with Tl:

1. First abviously like eveyone else I have a problem with vibration when the car reaches 100km/h. It's very small vibration but it's there. I would like to find out if all the meembers who have this problem own a manual trans or automatic.

2. My engine only when cold has a small hickups for 2 min when warming up.. I asked the dealer they said these engines are rough when cold for few minutes. Please let me know if it's true.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
1. I don't have a vibration at those speeds so I can't speak on that.

2. I have heard that the engine will run a little rough for the first few minutes in cold weather due to the ULEV status but mine is fine.

I see you have the 6MT. How is your 3rd gear shifting? I had to switch to the GM tranny fluid for mine and it will still pop out of gear every now and then but I guess I can live with it. DO a search on here and you will get lots more info.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,414 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike1973
Just joined in.

My problems with Tl:

1. First abviously like eveyone else I have a problem with vibration when the car reaches 100km/h. It's very small vibration but it's there. I would like to find out if all the meembers who have this problem own a manual trans or automatic.

2. My engine only when cold has a small hickups for 2 min when warming up.. I asked the dealer they said these engines are rough when cold for few minutes. Please let me know if it's true.
Hi Mike and welcome to the forums

1. Is the vibration felt in the steering wheel or seat? If wheel, the tire's balance in the front are off and it needs to be rebalanced. If its the seat, its the rear tires that need to be balanced. Make sure that the shop you go to uses the HUNTER ROAD FORCE machine and takes the tire upto 120 Km/h to insure there is no vibration.

2. The ULEV system in the TL makes the car intentionally misfire to get the engine warmed up faster. These are the hickups you feel time to time. As well you will notice it reving near 1k RPM's.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:39 AM
7th Gear

Thanks for your response.

1. Vibration. It's in the steering. I went to deal 15times plus for balancing and they can't get rid of this problem. I think you are right about the fact that it is balancing since i found 20pages fix from acura buletin how to properly balance the tires. i think the problem is that the deler put all the weights on the rim where there is the valve for air and it makes it a heavy spot. I have to find high per. shop and take it there.

2. As to my engine thanks alot . I didn't know about the ULEV system. i hope that is all there is.

I have another question: in winter my car takes forever to warm up, I mean the heating ssystem inside. I have to put it on manual mode because on auto the air is mild when temp is set to high. ANy thoughts.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,414 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike1973
Thanks for your response.

1. Vibration. It's in the steering. I went to deal 15times plus for balancing and they can't get rid of this problem. I think you are right about the fact that it is balancing since i found 20pages fix from acura buletin how to properly balance the tires. i think the problem is that the deler put all the weights on the rim where there is the valve for air and it makes it a heavy spot. I have to find high per. shop and take it there.

2. As to my engine thanks alot . I didn't know about the ULEV system. i hope that is all there is.

I have another question: in winter my car takes forever to warm up, I mean the heating ssystem inside. I have to put it on manual mode because on auto the air is mild when temp is set to high. ANy thoughts.
To my knowlege, the TL's heating system uses the engine heat to heat the incoming air for the car. If the car is cold, theres not much heat to make it to heat the air. Also when the TL for some reason blows slowly and at the feet for heating. My guess is that it does it to keep condensation from forming to fast on the inside.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Drifting

Received 595 Likes on 444 Posts
Also may want to have them verify the rim isn't bent. I hit a pothole, broke belts in my tire, but the rim showed no damage. They put a new tire on, balanced it and gave the car back to me. Everything was fine until about 55mph when the car would shake. Took it back the rim was bent even with no visible damage.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:25 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for all your help. As to the heating, my car is warm when cold air comes out of the heater. After 30min of driving, I swithed to HI/Auto and literly there was cold air coming from the vents. If I switch to HI/ manual then the air is barlly warm.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:38 PM
7th Gear

I have 2 sets of rims winter and summer tires on each set, and the car does it no matter whicjh set i put on. I've read the Acura bulletin posted here and I think the problem is that the dealer balnces the tires when they are cold instead when they are warmup.