ACC 15 Amp Fuse Repeatedly Blowing

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACC 15 Amp Fuse Repeatedly Blowing

After about a month of owning my TL Type S and regularly and simultaneously using both ACC outlets to power an Ipod charger and a Sirius receiver, I suddenly have an issue with blowing the 15 amp fuse. The fuse will blow immediately when the units are plugged-in so there is no indication that power is flowing to the devices.

This started last week after a visit to a tint shop so I don't know if there is a connection.

Any ideas?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:28 PM
'07 NBP TL

I suppose if you just have the ipod or the sirius in, they work? But it goes out when they are both in?
Old 07-12-2007, 05:10 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My guess is that it they both are overloading the circuit. Some cell phone chargers do the same. Try plugging in one at a time, then go from there.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:55 AM
Intermediate

Porkipine and Xx06SickspdTlxx:

Thanks for replying! Unfortunately I've gone through another couple of fuses and still have the problem. They are blowing even with one of the devices plugged in. I normally plug the Sirius into the dash ACC and the Ipod into the armrest ACC.

This is confusing because I went for about a month operating both at the same time with no issue.

I did find a "glass and metal cap" small fuse in the ashtray - I don't know how it got there and if the TL even uses those types of fuses - but I wonder if the tint guys somehow jacked something up.

Any additional help is appreciated!
Old 07-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Swobro
Porkipine and Xx06SickspdTlxx:

Thanks for replying! Unfortunately I've gone through another couple of fuses and still have the problem. They are blowing even with one of the devices plugged in. I normally plug the Sirius into the dash ACC and the Ipod into the armrest ACC.

This is confusing because I went for about a month operating both at the same time with no issue.

I did find a "glass and metal cap" small fuse in the ashtray - I don't know how it got there and if the TL even uses those types of fuses - but I wonder if the tint guys somehow jacked something up.

Any additional help is appreciated!
With nothing plugged into the sockets, does the fuse still blow?

Get a flashlight and look into the sockets, maybe there is something metal that is shorting it out immediately once the circuit is energized.

My friend has this happen monthly on his IS350, usually a penny slides in an shorts it out. bad location of socket i guess.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wid-TL
With nothing plugged into the sockets, does the fuse still blow?

Get a flashlight and look into the sockets, maybe there is something metal that is shorting it out immediately once the circuit is energized.

My friend has this happen monthly on his IS350, usually a penny slides in an shorts it out. bad location of socket i guess.

OK.....I replaced the fuse with nothing plugged in and the key removed from the ignition. As soon as I turned the key (to ACC position), the fuse blew.

Additionally, there is nothing in the sockets.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:43 PM
'07 NBP TL

OK.....I replaced the fuse with nothing plugged in and the key removed from the ignition. As soon as I turned the key (to ACC position), the fuse blew.

That shouldn't happen? I don't know how the tint shop could've screwed around with it. All they do is apply the tint and maybe remove the panel to install moleskin. I'm out of ideas, hopefully someone can help you out. If I get a chance, I'll take a look at the manual.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Warranty.
Take it in and tell us what they fix.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:13 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Sounds like you have a short somewhere, just check the accessory sockets and make sure that there are no objects stuck in there, that can cause it to short out and blow a fuse if not, take it to the dealer and it will then have to be diaged.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Intermediate

Red face

Originally Posted by Xx06SickspdTlxX
Sounds like you have a short somewhere, just check the accessory sockets and make sure that there are no objects stuck in there, that can cause it to short out and blow a fuse if not, take it to the dealer and it will then have to be diaged.

OK! I didn't knowingly lie, but I re-verified that the sockets were free and clear and lo and behold I noticed that a small metal nubbin from one of my plugs had fallen in. Somehow the plug had come apart (maybe the tint guys) and I searched around the car to find the other 2 pieces (spring and end cap) to go along with that fuse I had mentioned earlier.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP! Problem solved, although I'm a bit sheepish about the whole episode. Lesson learned.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:39 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Haha thats what i thought i have seen this before on a car that i was working on with the same problem! Thats good that it fixed your problem!
Old 07-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you shouldnt have more than one thing with high amperage running on one line dude and upgrading the fuse wont do any good..... itll burn the line out.... honda tied both the lines to one circuit