AC Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
AC Questions

I have an '04 and '08 TL. I took them both in to my mechanic today and he refilled the refrigerant. My AC doesn't even feel that much colder in either car. The '08 feels like it may have even gotten warmer, which leads me to believe that it was overfilled. I'll have a temperature gauge on Monday so I can check the temp of the air. From what I've read, the temp should be about 30-40F, correct? Is there anything else I should be checking? I paid $200 to have them both refilled, but the AC is far from ice cold like it should be.
The following users liked this post:
cdub_1 (11-10-2023)
Old 06-03-2017, 04:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Why have refrigerant added if not needed? If needed, there is a leak as the system is sealed and refrigerant shouldn't "leak" out.
The proper way is to discharge, vacuum, then fill by weight, but having gauges on the system when charging, one could get fairly accurate by adding refrigerant until gauges indicate system is filled, or at least in the proper psi readings. If overcharged you'll have the same results as undercharged, warm air.
Stick a temp. gauge in the center outlet, max, recirculate and see reading. The outlet temp would be dependent upon ambient temp.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:10 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Why have refrigerant added if not needed? If needed, there is a leak as the system is sealed and refrigerant shouldn't "leak" out.
The proper way is to discharge, vacuum, then fill by weight, but having gauges on the system when charging, one could get fairly accurate by adding refrigerant until gauges indicate system is filled, or at least in the proper psi readings. If overcharged you'll have the same results as undercharged, warm air.
Stick a temp. gauge in the center outlet, max, recirculate and see reading. The outlet temp would be dependent upon ambient temp.
I've owned my 04 for 6+ years and in that time refrigerant has never been added. I can't go another Arizona summer of 110 everyday without decent air conditioning, so I'm almost certain refrigerant needed to be added since the air blowing out wasn't super cold. Anytime it's 90+ here and I have the AC on my car is just barely tolerable enough to drive in. The 08 is what my wife drives our baby in and there have been too many times when the baby is sweating all over. The mechanic told me he would use a UV dye to check for leaks and apparently there were none. Like I said, I'll have a temperature gauge on Monday to check how cold the air is that's blowing out, but I wanted to get an idea if there are other things which may be causing the air to not be as cold as I expected. I do appreciate the reply!
Old 06-03-2017, 09:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
There are other items that could cause poor a/c performance, heater control valve, HVAC door problems, but let's see what the thermometer reads during the test.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:38 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just replacedmy Schrader valves, pulled a vacuum for 20 min. then filled with approx 22 oz of freon. My center vent temp on recirc was 32 degrees. I have an 04 tl and it was 78 degrees and humid outside. My local dealer wanted 400.00 to do this, it cost me about 35.00.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,747 Likes on 6,748 Posts
Originally Posted by cust0mx
I've owned my 04 for 6+ years and in that time refrigerant has never been added. I can't go another Arizona summer of 110 everyday without decent air conditioning, so I'm almost certain refrigerant needed to be added since the air blowing out wasn't super cold. Anytime it's 90+ here and I have the AC on my car is just barely tolerable enough to drive in. The 08 is what my wife drives our baby in and there have been too many times when the baby is sweating all over. The mechanic told me he would use a UV dye to check for leaks and apparently there were none. Like I said, I'll have a temperature gauge on Monday to check how cold the air is that's blowing out, but I wanted to get an idea if there are other things which may be causing the air to not be as cold as I expected. I do appreciate the reply!
You're going on this whole red herring chase if there's no leak..

Originally Posted by Turbonut
There are other items that could cause poor a/c performance, heater control valve, HVAC door problems, but let's see what the thermometer reads during the test.

^^This

So many people feel like (If A/C =/= Cold, Add refrigerant), when that isn't always the solution and can cause more harm than good..
Old 06-08-2017, 03:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
you need to put some gauges on it and get pressure readings and then if those check out verify that your FANS are working, your cabin air filter is clean and IMHO tint your windows. the heat rejection provided will definitely make a difference.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fulla
I just replacedmy Schrader valves, pulled a vacuum for 20 min. then filled with approx 22 oz of freon. My center vent temp on recirc was 32 degrees. I have an 04 tl and it was 78 degrees and humid outside. My local dealer wanted 400.00 to do this, it cost me about 35.00.
just got same thing done on my car - $120 at my mechanic