AC Compressor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 12:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question AC Compressor Replacement

Hi Everyone! Please Help!

First off I just want to say I've searched on this website, looked through the 3g Garage, and even google searched. Been a member here for a long time (haven't posted much) and just by searching this forum helped me with numerous things! (A Spec Kit install, oil change info, transmission change info, 3rd & 4th gear pressure switches, knock sensor replacement, ac magnet replacement, power steering whine, spark plugs, engine mounts, etc etc etc...)

BUT I'm having a hard time finding a DIY for replacing the AC Compressor and the AC Drier (aka receiver) Does anyone know of where to find a DIY? or can anyone give me some AcuraZine protips?

I have a new Denso AC Compressor, a OEM Drier (Receiver), new O rings set, AC gauges, Vacuum Pump, even have everything set up to properly extract the old R134a.

I think I need to just remove the fans to get the compressor out, any tips?
How about the drier? Do I need to remove front bumper for the drier?

Thank you everyone for the help, I'm going to start on this tomorrow morning!
Old 07-27-2017, 06:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Here's some help:
http://www.nnstudios.com/azine/Acura...e%20Manual.pdf
The following 2 users liked this post by Turbonut:
CzarV (07-27-2017), tweaker9 (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Turbonut
That's awesome, thank you!
Old 07-27-2017, 02:34 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CzarV
Thank you everyone for the help, I'm going to start on this tomorrow morning!
CzarV, could you please post pictures/tips of installing the new compressor and drier, once you complete the installation? Looks like I might need to do the same on my 06 TL. Where did you buy your compressor and drier?
Old 08-01-2017, 11:25 PM
Intermediate

Some Thoughts about this repair:

Option 1, Only changing the Compressor:
Follow the directions from the above service manual link, just remove pass side fan and everything will come out.
The 5.5mm sockets to remove the low pressure adaptor from the ac compressor stripped for me, so I hammered a 5mm socket on it and removed it. Definitely order these 2 bolts from the dealership, should be part number "90006-PDA-E01 Bolt, Socket (6X15)" I didn't want to wait so I went to Home Depot and purchased 6mm x 16mm philips head screws and used those.
To vacuum and recharge system, watch this youtube video, it's really step by step

Option 2, (What I did) Change Compressor and Drier (Acura calls it Receiver)
Again follow the directions from the above service manual link BUT you should remove the the Radiator, I repeat REMOVE THE RADIATOR! That thing was always, and I mean always, in the way and I beat the sh** out of the fins on the side trying to remove the driver side fan, which looking back on I probably didn't need to remove. If you remove the radiator, no need to remove either of the fans, just the lower radiator hose and the upper radiator hose and it all comes out in one piece. I didn't want to remove the radiator because just last week the dealership flushed the system and purged it, but because I didn't remove the radiator it ended up taking me a lot longer and I really beat up the fins and it frustrated the hell out of me. ALSO very important, remove the battery and it's plastic holder, gives a lot more room.

ALSO check the resistance on the compressor magnet before you put it in there. I didn't, put everything together, vacuumed the system like in the youtube video, pushed in approx 15/16oz of R134a, and the compressor never kicked in. So now tomorrow I will have to remove some parts and check the connections to the compressor magnet, but I think I will need a new compressor.

Denso is OEM ac compressor, I order it from RockAuto.com . I couldn't find out who makes the OEM drier (receiver) so I bought that at the dealership. Also buy the two bolts i listed above.

If you need to change your front engine mount, Now is the BEST time to do it with the radiator pulled out, you will never have more access than now.
The following users liked this post:
Legend2TL (05-31-2020)
Old 08-02-2017, 06:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Put oil in compressor if it came dry? Pag46
Also, check to see if any oil in dryer, if so, replace same amount.
R134a 19 oz capacity

Last edited by Turbonut; 08-02-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:38 AM
Intermediate

Denso AC Compressor comes pre filled with oil.

Another good tip, go to autozone and pick up new schrader valves, mine have been leaking very lightly for atleast 2 years, $10 for 4 valves, car uses 1 big and 1 small from the package...
Old 08-04-2017, 03:58 PM
Intermediate

If anyone is interested in an update:

Check your AC Clutch fuse (7.5) in the fuse box by the air filter under the hood.

I found mine was blown, probably not common for everyone but on mine the magnet itself was lose and the connector rubbed against the pulley, melted and shorted out. This was the reason my new compressor didn't kick in, I think the 95 degree heat and high humidity went to my head and i forgot to check it out. checked it and replaced it the next morning first thing and the ac is working perfectly.