ABS, VSA and Trainagle On dash !!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:36 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ABS, VSA and Trainagle On dash !!!

I have 2006 TL with 76K. Purchased used about six months ago. About a month ago While driving to work, car went into limp Mode, and was unable to accelerate above 3K Rpm. At was at this point the the trio of lights "ABS, VSA and Triangle initially came on. On leaving work in the evening the lights went away. Went back into Limp mode to take me home. No Cel codes were received.

Going forward a couple days. Dealer conformed it was my transmission, but I was out of Warranty. Thus had it rebuilt at a local ASE certified shop. My two front axles needed to be replaced, thus I had the work done at the same time. I however used two aftermarket axles from Bennett Auto Supplies here in Florida.

Transmission rebuild went well. Car now shifts smoothly. However my Trio of lights have remained. Brought it back to a Friend of mine at the dealership who tried to clear the codes with the HDS. No transmission issues were found, but i got code "21-1 -Right Front Pulsar failure".

Brought it back to the repair shop. It was found that the right axle did not possess a ABS ring. Axle was returned and changed. Code was again cleared with the HDS, "ABS and VSA disappeared, but the triangle remained. All light came back after drive about 50ft. HDS again only gives code 21-1.

I dont know what to do know. Im thinking that if it was the axle, then i would get the same code for both right and left front wheels. Also ODB2 does not give any Cel Codes. Willing to try anything at this point.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
It's most likely a simple wheel speed sensor on one of the wheels.

Basically the dealer screwed you for a new trans because of a $50 sensor. I would get a refund for their incompetence and lack of diagnostic skills.

Hell, they can get covered in crap and stop working and all you need to do is wipe them off.

This happens so much it pisses me off. The dealer constantly screws people because they don't know how to diagnose problems. Once you confirm it's a speed sensor and the problem is solved I would press the issue. You WILL get your money back if you push it.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:04 PM
7th Gear

I will work on that. Will keep you posted.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:21 PM
4th Gear

APP sensor

Just changed out mine after two limp mode episodes in two months. it's now smoother than ever Great forum, will check back in a month for followup

Easy to do yourself based on the instructions in the forum, don't go to the dealership if you experience the symptoms. Car accelerates smoothly.

We need to keep these types of forum going, thanks to everyone who contributes.