ABS activating at low speeds after service.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 06:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS activating at low speeds after service.

So....

I just got my 2004 TL (196k miles) back from the shop that replaced the right side wheel bearing, spindle, and speed sensor. Once i drove away from the shop i could feel something strange in the brake pedal. I drove around a bit and noticed that the ABS is intermittently kicking in at low speed braking. I also noticed that it was particularly bad when applying the brakes in reverse. I also noticed that there were some significant gouges in the new brake rotor. So i took the car back into the shop and explained what i was experiencing and they took a look at it. After about 3 hours they called me and said that i had "somehow gotten a rock stuck against one of the brake pads". They said they cleaned it all up and lightly resurfaced the rotor. As for the ABS problem, they said it was throwing a few codes related to the ABS. They were:

25-1 Yaw Rate Sensor
51-1 ABS Pump Motor Failure
61-1 Battery Volt Failure
68-1 Brake Switch Failure
112-1 Internal Power Surge Failure

They said without doing a full diagnostic on the ABS system that they could not help me, even though the problem was not there before they replaced the above mentioned parts. So, i left their shop pissed and come home to start doing my own research. From what i can find the only reason the ABS would be acting like that now is related to the speed sensor. So i went out and checked that the new speed sensor was installed correctly and it is. I also used the jumper method to clear the ABS codes, and that caused my /!\ light and the VSA light to come now after reaching 20-30mph, and its still trying to engage the ABS at low speed braking. Wth do i do next aside from throwing a bunch of parts at it?
Old 08-08-2016, 06:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Usually a sensor problem.
This might help:
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-f...g-stop-487184/
Old 08-08-2016, 06:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Usually a sensor problem.
This might help:
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-f...g-stop-487184/
Yeah, i toiled over that entire post already. He solved his by adjusting the speed sensor. I tried that. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:18 PM
Intermediate

I just thought of something....

is it possible that the shop installed the bearing facing the wrong way and the magnetic sensor ring is not in the right place?
Old 08-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Yes, that's a possibility or they damaged the ring when installing.
Never did one on the Acura, but the tone rings are usually magnetic, hence
magnetic sensor, so try a paper clip to see if magnet is in the correct position.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Yes, that's a possibility or they damaged the ring when installing.
Never did one on the Acura, but the tone rings are usually magnetic, hence
magnetic sensor, so try a paper clip to see if magnet is in the correct position.
ok, will do. I confronted them already and they swore they installed it correctly.

I'll pull the sensor and stick a paperclip in there tomorrow when its not 102 outside. I actually hope that its installed wrong so that they fix it and make my VSA light and ABS light go away. Besides, they charged me for a new knuckle because they said the speed sensor was stuck in it. Later i find out the speed sensor could have just been destroyed to get it out and the hole would have been cleared. So it seems they took me for a knuckle when i didn't need one. So a little extra work out of them for free would be nice.

Last edited by Aussum; 08-09-2016 at 07:14 PM.