6MT Synchros Replaced - 3rd Gear Problem is Back!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6MT Synchros Replaced - 3rd Gear Problem is Back!

The synchros were replaced on my '06 6MT with 12k miles in Feb '08. Two years and 16k miles later, the problem is back.
I'm bringing it in tomorrow but I'm concerned about getting another synchro replacement. After another two years and IF the problem recurs, I'll be paying for the fix out of my pocket.
Those that have had the 3rd Gear TSB performed, has anyone else experienced the problem come back?
Old 02-28-2010, 11:44 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,307 Posts
Seems to me if the TSB fails so fast it was not fixed. I'd be calling corp if the dealer can't offer a warranty solution.

Sorry you are going through this.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Whatever route you go, I suggest using Amsoil Syncromesh MTF or GM Syncromesh friction modified.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
20,000+ mostly city miles on the TSB so far its OK.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by powerflow
Whatever route you go, I suggest using Amsoil Syncromesh MTF or GM Syncromesh friction modified.
I did read about the GM Synchromesh when I first had the problem two years ago. However, I opted for the permanent fix.... at least I hoped replacing the synchros was the permanent fix. But it turned out it wasn't. I'll definitely consider the GM Synchromesh more seriously.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by G2Teg2TL
I did read about the GM Synchromesh when I first had the problem two years ago. However, I opted for the permanent fix.... at least I hoped replacing the synchros was the permanent fix. But it turned out it wasn't. I'll definitely consider the GM Synchromesh more seriously.
I can not stress enough how easily the problem is solved with the GM fluid. I put it in and drove away and it was gone. That was 5 years ago. Those of you who want to keep banging your heads against a wall, just keep taking it to Acura.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Middle Finger anyone?

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Sooo...I'm confused. You did have the TSB performed? I ask because the TSB replaces the whole 3rd gear gearset and respective syncros. Not just the syncros. If you only replaced the syncros the first time then the problem is bound to return. You need the new gearset.

BTW I had the TSB done and the car shifts beautifully. 20k miles and still going.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:12 PM
i am so smart S M R T

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i had the tsb preformed

about 1 month ago. The rest of my gears still kind of grind or are notchy. I am definlty thinking about getting the gm syncro shift fluid change during my next oil change. Is it just a drain and fill?
Old 03-01-2010, 02:21 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Here is the fix with a 100% success rate:

Old 03-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
GM fluid, worked like a charm on my 6MT. 79000miles on the car
Old 03-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by NCTL05
Sooo...I'm confused. You did have the TSB performed? I ask because the TSB replaces the whole 3rd gear gearset and respective syncros. Not just the syncros. If you only replaced the syncros the first time then the problem is bound to return. You need the new gearset.

BTW I had the TSB done and the car shifts beautifully. 20k miles and still going.
Sorry for the confusion. I used the terms synchros and gearset interchangeably. It was the gearset that was replaced. Not sure if the dealer knew about the TSB at that time so I don't know if that's what they performed.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by 01clsstock
about 1 month ago. The rest of my gears still kind of grind or are notchy. I am definlty thinking about getting the gm syncro shift fluid change during my next oil change. Is it just a drain and fill?
Yes, it's a drain and fill and it takes 2.3 U.S. quarts, which is 2 quarts 10 ounces rounded.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

Sorry for the confusion. I used the terms synchros and gearset interchangeably. It was the gearset that was replaced. Not sure if the dealer knew about the TSB at that time so I don't know if that's what they performed.
You wouldn't happen to have the paperwork still would you? It would be a page and a half of parts including a gearset.

How bad is it? Is it not going into 3rd gear like before? Is it grinding like before? If so I say take that bitch back to where the TSB was performed and get them to redo it. OK. Find your original paperwork then go back and get them to redo it.

If it is THAT bad then they messed up the first time and it should be a mechanical fix. If it is kinda clunky but still goes into gear, then put in the GM stuff.

After my TSB was done I rode with the Honda Fluid for 1000 miles, to break everything in, then I changed to GM fluid. Never a problem since.

It kinda bugs me when people suggest the GM fluid to "fix" a transmission. It should be used as a preventative measure and not as a solution to syncros that have gone bad or a transmission that won't go into gear. To me it's the equivalent of someone saying their engine constantly runs low on oil and everyone tells him to just keep putting the oil back in. Or better oil. Whereas that person should check for leaks and fix the problem instead of avoiding it. Ok. My rant is over.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Pro

You wouldn't happen to have the paperwork still would you? It would be a page and a half of parts including a gearset.

How bad is it? Is it not going into 3rd gear like before? Is it grinding like before? If so I say take that bitch back to where the TSB was performed and get them to redo it. OK. Find your original paperwork then go back and get them to redo it.

If it is THAT bad then they messed up the first time and it should be a mechanical fix. If it is kinda clunky but still goes into gear, then put in the GM stuff.

After my TSB was done I rode with the Honda Fluid for 1000 miles, to break everything in, then I changed to GM fluid. Never a problem since.

It kinda bugs me when people suggest the GM fluid to "fix" a transmission. It should be used as a preventative measure and not as a solution to syncros that have gone bad or a transmission that won't go into gear. To me it's the equivalent of someone saying their engine constantly runs low on oil and everyone tells him to just keep putting the oil back in. Or better oil. Whereas that person should check for leaks and fix the problem instead of avoiding it. Ok. My rant is over.
I think it is the honda fluid. My trans is not broken it shifts fine, that's how the car came from the factory.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Cruisin'

I had the TSB done last year as well on my '06. About 10K since then, and it's starting to get notchy. I'm wondering if it's just that the Honda MTF2 shears quickly. It hasn't rejected a 2-3 upshift, but it seems like it's getting harder to shift it into 3rd, especially at lower revs, regardless of temperature, and sometimes there's some crunchiness with 4th as well (also a common complaint after the TSB).

I don't see any reason to do another tear-down...probably going to try the GM fluid next since the problem is not as severe as before the TSB was performed.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Middle Finger anyone?

The honda fluid seems to break down quickly. That's why I changed to GM. Because the honda fluid only lasted ~1000miles before it started to feel rough and notchy. Now it is as slick as a whistle! This was after the TSB.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TSB not done by prior owner

So I made a few phone calls to the last dealer where the car was purchased by 1st owner. They told me the 3rd gear fix was not done and it would now cost me around 2 grand to get it fixed (67k miles at the moment). I am sometimes having a hard time engaging 2nd to 3rd gear. Will the GM fluid help? Can't spend 2Gs right now.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:14 PM
i am so smart S M R T

Question stealership

well i called my dealer to have some recalls done an asked if they could do a drain and fill on the tranny fluid. $50 if i supply my own fluid, but they said that if they put in any fluid that isnt honda fluid they will not cover any part of future transmission issues. I am out of warranty but i just had the 3rd gear tsb done. Should i change my fluid somewhere else so there is no record of it being changed to the gm fluid?
Old 03-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Advanced

^^
Forget about my question about the GM MTF-FM, got the answers at:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...rd+gear&page=9

I have stopped getting stuff done at the dealer, got some basic done on my own and some done by a local fellow Aziner.
Was your TSB done before or after your warranty expired?
Old 03-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Cruisin'

I tried to look for the paperwork the other night but couldn't find it. I remember seeing a gearset in the parts they replaced and I also remember that the part number listed in my paperwork was different than what was posted by someone here who had the TSB done. But the problem went away at that time.

Now it's back to the original problem - occassional popping out of third gear, some resistance when shifting into 3rd coming from 2nd. The only difference is that this time, it seems to happen when the car is cold - during the first couple of miles of driving after the car has been sitting for a few hours. Before, it just pops out of third any time with no pattern.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:40 PM
i am so smart S M R T

Originally Posted by Silent_TL
^^
Forget about my question about the GM MTF-FM, got the answers at:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...rd+gear&page=9

I have stopped getting stuff done at the dealer, got some basic done on my own and some done by a local fellow Aziner.
Was your TSB done before or after your warranty expired?
after but i had a warranty because i just bought the car at a dealership
Old 03-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Pro

Damn it to hell! The gear box is not broken it is the fluid! Change the fluid!!!!!!! There is no fix because it is not broken! Just get the gm fluid and stop talking about it!
Old 03-02-2010, 03:47 PM
10th Gear

From day one i noticed problems with third gear in my '06. Mentioned it to the dealer back when the car was new, and they claimed they "adjusted the linkage for me". I figured they were full of it as i noticed the problem driving off the lot, so that was the last time my car was at the dealer until i needed the power steering hose TSB done. I tend to shift pretty hard and throughout 96,000 miles had third either grind, felt like it was half way in, or refuse to enter only a handful of times, so it never really bothered me. My wife, on the other hand, who shifts with a much more gentle touch had a more consistant issue the few times she drove the car. I recently overhauled many of the consumable parts of the car and decided to give the GMSMFM fluid a try. As a joke, i told my wife that i took apart the tranny and "made some adjustments". She has since driven the car several times and is convinced that I am a mechanical guru, as the problem with third is now gone.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Advanced

I called a few GM dealers and they don't carry it anymore. Going to make a few more calls.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Silent_TL
I called a few GM dealers and they don't carry it anymore. Going to make a few more calls.
Try Cadillac dealers.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Cruisin'

S2K folks sometimes buy it from:
http://www.hardtopguy.com/store/prod...0&bestseller=Y

I can't vouch for this vendor since I have not purchased it from them (yet). I am not affiliated with them either.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

I tried to look for the paperwork the other night but couldn't find it. I remember seeing a gearset in the parts they replaced and I also remember that the part number listed in my paperwork was different than what was posted by someone here who had the TSB done. But the problem went away at that time.

Now it's back to the original problem - occassional popping out of third gear, some resistance when shifting into 3rd coming from 2nd. The only difference is that this time, it seems to happen when the car is cold - during the first couple of miles of driving after the car has been sitting for a few hours. Before, it just pops out of third any time with no pattern.
You know what. I just thought about it. The TSB would have only been done at an acura dealership. They would have record that it was performed. Call them and give them your VIN and see if they have the record of it being done. If they do then let them know that it wasn't done properly and that it is doing the same thing and that it evidentally wasn't fixed. Then schedule a time early in the morning for them to look at it. Drop it off the night before after the service center has closed. That way when they go to test it the car will be crispy cold and be most likely to display the symptoms easier. Being a TSB they won't do it for free unless you're under warranty. If you complain hard enough you might get the parts for free and pay for the labor or vise versa. Or they'll take half of the cost off.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Cruisin'

NCTL05: Thanks for the follow up.

Here's an update. So I took my car to the dealership on 3/1/10 with two problems - 3rd Gear popping out and grinding noise when steering wheel fully turned coming from a full stop (coming out of parking lot). It sounded like the tire was rubbing. They ended up replacing the steering gearbox but that's another thread.

With the third gear problem, they were not able to recreate it - as expected. They had it for 5 days. I told them the conditions when it would occur - usually within the first mile of driving in the morning and within the first mile when coming home in the afternoon after the car's been sitting for a few hours. I went to pick it up first thing in the morning and test drove it with their tech hoping to recreate the problem. But even I wasn't successful. Then the tech told me that they replaced the trans fluid.

My car drives so much better than when I took it in. I've had it for a few days now yet still no issues. It seems that there is indeed a problem with the Honda trans fluid breaking down prematurely. I'll give it more time but for now, it seems like my problem is fixed.

I managed to get a reprint of the paperwork when they replaced the gearset two years ago.

Thanks for all the input.