6MT shift boot help - OEM fix needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
6MT shift boot help - OEM fix needed

I haven't been successful with a search so far so hopefully someone can share a solution. I have a OEM shift knob and the boot is sagging below the metal ring. The audio installer apparently broke it when taking the center console out and tried to secure it back with another zip tie. I really didn't notice it sagging at first but now it's annoying.

Any tips on getting the boot secure again?
Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
i got mine back on with a small zip tie. It's tricky, since you need to invert the zip tie so the excess comes out the inside so you can pull it tight. There's a hole in the ring for the zip tie head to sit. It took some fiddling but I got mine back to normal that way without having to remove the boot. There's also a small hole in the boot for that excess to stick through. GL.

I initially took it off for an aftermarket knob. I ended up disliking the feel so I put the OEM back on.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:47 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
my shifter boot was like that when i bought mine new. kept popping down. dealer fixed it by replacing the boot on the third try. this was YEARS ago...still going ok right now.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 PM
the overexplainer

crap, no more editing..

if i remember correctly i think i made a ring first with the zip tie inverted, folded the top of the boot around it and made sure the excess zip tie stuck through the hole in the boot on the inside.

then I slipped the boot/zip tie over the metal looking piece with the excess zip tie also going through the hole in the ring. Then pulled it tight to fit from the inside of the ring.

It's kind of hard to explain, and it took a few tries because the boot kept unfolding from within the zip tie.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
i think a new boot runs about $60 bucks, if zip tie dont work. PM acktl05 i think he has one
Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 PM
SSM FTW

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
i used electrical tape which worked great. just push the ring all the way down and put some electrical tape where the thread ends. put just enough so that you can get the ring to barely go through. pull the ring up pass the electrical tape then push it back down but make sure when you push down on the ring, you are squishing the tape down a little. finally screw the shift knob back on and you can feel the knob squishing the tape some more. the tape will keep it nice and tight up against the knob. hopefully thats not too confusing LOL.

let me know if you need pictures. i just changed to an AWOC shifter and its sagging a bit so i need to do this. BTW i have a maven shift knob, thats why its not staying up.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by luder917
i used electrical tape which worked great. just push the ring all the way down and put some electrical tape where the thread ends. put just enough so that you can get the ring to barely go through. pull the ring up pass the electrical tape then push it back down but make sure when you push down on the ring, you are squishing the tape down a little. finally screw the shift knob back on and you can feel the knob squishing the tape some more. the tape will keep it nice and tight up against the knob. hopefully thats not too confusing LOL.

let me know if you need pictures. i just changed to an AWOC shifter and its sagging a bit so i need to do this. BTW i have a maven shift knob, thats why its not staying up.
That's what I do with my skunk shift knob. Works great.

If you're interested in new, it can be had here:

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no
Old 03-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by luder917

Pics would be great. By "ring" what do you mean? My boot material doesn't have a ring that it's stitched to, it's just the material and there's a small loop that a zip tie can go through. The tie is hooked through one of the rectangle openings that are cut in the metal piece that is joined with the shift knob.

Thanks, James.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tomlinsonj
Pics would be great. By "ring" what do you mean? My boot material doesn't have a ring that it's stitched to, it's just the material and there's a small loop that a zip tie can go through. The tie is hooked through one of the rectangle openings that are cut in the metal piece that is joined with the shift knob.

Thanks, James.
Then they really screwed it up. Usually the clips break off and it doesn't stay up. If the silver ring is gone, you'll have to find something to replace it.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:47 PM
the overexplainer

i think we need pics because people are thinking different things.

From the OP it sounds like the leather part of the boot is not attached to the metal ring that attaches to the knob.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ez12a
i think we need pics because people are thinking different things.

From the OP it sounds like the leather part of the boot is not attached to the metal ring that attaches to the knob.
I think you've got it. I snapped a few pics with the boot pushed up and then pulled it down away from the base of the knob. Take a look... The zip tie is in the front.

Suggestions for a fix?

James
Old 03-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Safety Car

I just happened to have my interior taken apart. Here is how it goes together.

The tie wrap in pulled from inside the silver piece but the fix looks like it needs to happen with the center console pulled out.

Last edited by KN_TL; 03-15-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:56 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Happy to write-no problems with the shifter boot on my tsx.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:29 AM
the overexplainer

if the OP were to try my method it would work without having to take the console apart.

it may take a few tries and a few small zip ties from failed attempts. I broke the same thing on mine trying to pull the ring off my OEM knob. It can be done with the interior and boot in place.

took a look at the pics, inverting the zip tie would help. Meaning, make a zip tie ring by folding the zip tie back and then through the zip tie head so the excess zip tie sticks into the middle. Make it just small enough to wrap the top of the boot over it, stick the excess through the little hole in the boot and push the boot and zip tie ring onto the metal ring and pull the excess through the metal ring so it comes out to where the shifter rod is. Pull the rest of the excess to lock it in that groove. Done.

might need a smaller zip tie too. the of the zip tie head should fit through one of the open gaps in the groove on the metal ring. See KN_TL's picture: zip tie, it's inverted.

Last edited by ez12a; 03-15-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Safety Car

yeah, I suppose you could feed it through the hold and tuck it in. Taking that part of the console out isn't that hard though.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:48 AM
the overexplainer

true.

I forgot to add, separate the metal ring from the knob, and take the knob off. It'll make the job easier and you'll be able to pull to tighten the zip tie from the inside.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Racer

inverting the zip tie would help. Meaning, make a zip tie ring by folding the zip tie back and then through the zip tie head so the excess zip tie sticks into the middle.
With this initial step what is the zip tie threaded through - the hole in the boot? the rectangular metal collar opening? or nothing at all (make a zip tie 'lasso')?

Make it just small enough to wrap the top of the boot over it, stick the excess through the little hole in the boot and push the boot and zip tie ring onto the metal ring and pull the excess through the metal ring so it comes out to where the shifter rod is. Pull the rest of the excess to lock it in that groove. Done.
Thanks for your continued help. I remember when the console was apart during the installer's progress and there was a remnant of a small white zip tie sticking up through the hole in the boot that apparently was broken. Is there a zip tie in the OEM part??

James
Old 03-15-2012, 10:17 AM
the overexplainer

Originally Posted by tomlinsonj
With this initial step what is the zip tie threaded through - the hole in the boot? the rectangular metal collar opening? or nothing at all (make a zip tie 'lasso')?

Thanks for your continued help. I remember when the console was apart during the installer's progress and there was a remnant of a small white zip tie sticking up through the hole in the boot that apparently was broken. Is there a zip tie in the OEM part??

James
exactly. Simply make an inverted zip tie ring first, we're not touching the metal ring at this point. With the zip tie ring made, fold the boot over the zip tie and note where the small hole is in the boot. Put the head of the zip tie and excess zip tie through that hole. The zip tie ring needs to be large enough to fit over the metal ring, so dont make it too small. Remove the metal ring from the knob and take both off so you're just working with the boot and zip tie.

THEN we grab the metal ring, put the excess zip tie in through the hole in the metal ring first (dont cut the excess off yet), then slowly and carefully wiggle the zip tie and boot over into the groove in the ring. Now that the boot and zip tie are in position, pull the excess from within the ring to tighten in place. Ensure the boot and zip tie are still folded together and in the zip tie groove on the ring.

There is a white zip tie from the factory as shown in KN_TL's photos. i broke mine pulling my boot/metal ring down.

I'd take my knob off to show you but as we all know it's a beezy to put back together if i pulled my boot off again.

Last edited by ez12a; 03-15-2012 at 10:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tomlinsonj (03-15-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Racer

Sounds like a plan. I'll give that approach a shot on Saturday and post pics if successful.

James
Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 AM
the overexplainer

I work in IT so i have a bunch of zip ties lying around:

here's what i mean by inverted zip tie. You fold the boot around this, and stick the middle excess into the hole in the boot so now you have a boot with a zip tie ring folded inside at the top:
'

Cool. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
tomlinsonj (08-18-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Racer

So *finally* I took the time to fix my shift boot using the "inverted zip tie" method as indicated by ez12a. I'd love to show a pic of the repair, but the Acurazine page goes blank after briefly displaying the image, so I can't grab the imbed url.

Anyhow, for someone who has a shift boot issue but does not want to take the console apart to repair, here's what I did-

- Buy a pack of 8" zip ties (small head)
- Make an inverted lasso as pictured above
- Pull the metal shifter ring straight down to disengage it from the shift knob
- Unscrew the shift knob from the shifter stalk and place both the knob and ring aside
- Pull the zip tie lasso closed until it is just a bit larger in diameter than the shifter ring
- Fold a small top layer of the shift boot material (the neck) over the inverted zip tie
- Thread the end of the zip tie through the small hole in the shift boot material
- Also thread the zip tie head *just* through the small hole in the shift boot material
- Take the shifter ring, place it over the shifter stalk and slide the shift boot material up to the recessed area of the shifter ring. Take care to keep the covered "lasso" in place as you do this.
- When you get the shift boot material close to the recessed part of the shifter ring, thread the end of the zip tie through the square opening in the shifter ring and let it stick out of the top of the shifter ring
- Also feed the head of the zip tie just through the square opening (see pic above)
- With one hand holding the boot material, pull the zip tie slowly, tightening the lasso covered with shift boot material to the recessed portion of the shifter ring, making sure that the material still covers the zip tie.
- When the shift boot is secure against the shifter ring, cut the excess zip tie from the center of the shifter ring.
- Screw the shift knob in place
- Snap the shifter ring up into the base of the shift knob.

Done!

Thanks to the previous posts for helping me understand the process. Hopefully this will be of help for other sagging shift boot issues for 6MT owners.

James