60K miles...Need new front rotors already?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
60K miles...Need new front rotors already?

My front brakes started to squeak so I took it to the Brakes Plus. I had then take a look at my brakes while doing a full alignment and they said it is time to replace the rotors as they are below minimum.

My question is should I have them replace the rotors already? Seems like it is kind of soon (60,000). Also, should I go to the stealership or have them replaced by local shop? I don't mind taking it to the dealership as long as it is work the quality.

Generally, I don't mind working on stuff myself, but I hate doing brakes. Always have. So I'm not going to do it. Not an option!

All opinions are appreciated.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:44 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

sounds right, hit up our vendor excelerate and get some stoptech slotted rotors with pads, which provide better braking and more life and are a better bang for the buk and have a local shop do it, since acura will tear you a new one with their crappy rotors and prices.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:47 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

here is a pic of what the rotors look like

Old 03-02-2009, 07:34 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by OmegaTL
My front brakes started to squeak so I took it to the Brakes Plus. I had then take a look at my brakes while doing a full alignment and they said it is time to replace the rotors as they are below minimum.

My question is should I have them replace the rotors already? Seems like it is kind of soon (60,000). Also, should I go to the stealership or have them replaced by local shop? I don't mind taking it to the dealership as long as it is work the quality.

Generally, I don't mind working on stuff myself, but I hate doing brakes. Always have. So I'm not going to do it. Not an option!

All opinions are appreciated.
yeah it's about time for new rotors with that many miles....also, when you get new rotors, make sure that the shop (if it's not an acura dealer) tightens your lug nugs to 80lb of torque.....over-tightened lug nuts is the main cause of early rotor warp....fyi
Old 03-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
whats the actual measurement of thickness on the rotors?
Without that measure on a smooth looking rotor, or an explanation that the rotors are heavily grooved and wont be thick enough after resurfacing--
Did you wear out the pads down to the metal backing plate?

Get a 2nd opinion from another shop- not a brake shop-who is in the biz of replacing brakes....
a place that services hondas and acuras every day
Look in the phone book under automobile repairing for a small ad with pic of our car or name on it.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
^+1

I've never seen a brake shop accurately measure the rotor on the hub, but if the rotors are warped then I would replace them instead of turning / resurfacing them. Send some pics!

I would stay away from the dealership b/c they'll try to get almost a $1.5k out of you for a $300 job (assuming you replace all 4 rotors). A good independent shop specialized in Honda / Acura should be able to do it in couple hours ~$200. Make sure you buy the parts first (~$300)! so all you pay for is labor.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:31 AM
Intermediate

wow you were lucky to get 60k out of them, mine were toast at 26k
Old 03-03-2009, 02:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
LOL... yeah, mine were resurfaced at 10k, then again at 35k, then replaced at 60k....

you're complaining about 60k, first time rotors???
Old 03-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im only at 40k and ive done my front and rear pads and rotors!!!! But i know its because im always WOT..BREAK..WOT..BREAK!!! LOL
Old 03-07-2009, 12:17 AM
boost 3G

i had to resurface at 15 again at 25 and new ones at 50
Old 03-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ssmtl2nv
here is a pic of what the rotors look like

Question for you.......

I'm going to get some cross-drilled rotors soon and always wondered exactly how the pattern is supposed to go. For instance, in your picture you installed your rotors the opposite way I would have done mine. Does it matter how they are installed or do they have to go a certain way to dissipate heat?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Pro

yea im at 64k and i swapped mine out like 3 times already..i dont trust resurfacing lol just replace! with powerslot hehe from tirerack.com best prices!
Old 03-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
LOL... i was wot-->brake--->wot--->brake when I first got my 2002 TL Type S ... i went through rotors on that like oil ... I've babied my '04 TL in the last 30k miles and so far so good...

I apply a few principles that I learned on this forum:
1) after heavy braking, I make sure I don't let the brake sit one spot for more than a second or two... i.e. if I slammed on the brake cuz the light turned yellow (and i saw a cop in my peripheral vision), I'll just let the car slowly transfer that heat to the entire rotor by allowing about 3 feet of slow travel.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RC51Ryder
Question for you.......

I'm going to get some cross-drilled rotors soon and always wondered exactly how the pattern is supposed to go. For instance, in your picture you installed your rotors the opposite way I would have done mine. Does it matter how they are installed or do they have to go a certain way to dissipate heat?
his are correct...they are more then likely going to come side specific ie one is going to say left and the other is going to say right....
Old 03-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by COEHSP
wow you were lucky to get 60k out of them, mine were toast at 26k
I think mine last about 28K. The OP didn't specify whether he has the 6MT or the 5AT, though, and that seems to make a difference.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
how long your brakes and rotors last is directly perportional to how you drive your car.....

constant hard stopping = much faster wear on your brakes
letting off of the gas and coasting down speed = brakes last a lot longer

3rd gen Type S cars have brembos and those wear incredibly fast

I drive an 02 CLS and fronts are still going strong at 80K (yes they are original)

since the rear claipers are a type that do not retract like the fronts do, they wear pretty fast......
Old 03-15-2009, 01:21 AM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
I drive my car pretty dam hard, lol. I've gone to the 1/4 mile track a couple times before and has done some pretty hard braking on the mountains as well and my brake pads are still OK! Rotors are warpped for sure, but I have not changed them yet. Still got about probably 10k on my brake-pads.

I still don't understand how some of you guys change your pads/rotors so often!
Old 03-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Instructor

Thanks all for the opinions. Sorry for delay, work has crazy.

Sounds like I got more life than I should have gotten. I should have specified that I have the 6MT. I certainly don't mind sourcing for rotors, but I only want to change the brake pads and rotors (i.e. I really don't want to replace the calipers). Also, the rears are fine so I am not going to change those out.

I am finding it nearly impossible to source locally for rotors for the manual trans (OEM brembos). Only the Acura dealership has them and they are $137 per rotor. I would pay that IF they were quality, but sounds like they are not that great. For that much money, I might as well go with a higher end performance rotor that will last longer.

I checked excelerate for stoptech slotted rotors with pads, but they seem to only sell with the whole kit including calipers. What rotors and brake pads are people running with OEM calipers? I really have to get this corrected. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
the oem rotors and pads for the brembos are good stuff, but they are expensive and you can get better for the same money the dealer charges...so if you like the oem then replace with the oem if you dont mind paying the money....
Old 03-24-2009, 08:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vinnier6
the oem rotors and pads for the brembos are good stuff, but they are expensive and you can get better for the same money the dealer charges...so if you like the oem then replace with the oem if you dont mind paying the money....
That is really the question. I have been happy with the OEM rotors; for the most part. However, $137 a rotor seems a bit overpriced. I don't mind paying that IF the performance or longivity justified that. Perhaps the OEMs are worth it, but just want to see what else is out there before I drop $137 (times 2) plus brake pads.

I have only seen one aftermarket rotor in this post and that has a whole kit associated with it. All I want are rotors and pads. In the end, I might end up just getting the OEM rotors from Acura and make this headache go away.

They are squeeking now and it is getting annoying.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by OmegaTL
That is really the question. I have been happy with the OEM rotors; for the most part. However, $137 a rotor seems a bit overpriced. I don't mind paying that IF the performance or longivity justified that. Perhaps the OEMs are worth it, but just want to see what else is out there before I drop $137 (times 2) plus brake pads.

I have only seen one aftermarket rotor in this post and that has a whole kit associated with it. All I want are rotors and pads. In the end, I might end up just getting the OEM rotors from Acura and make this headache go away.

They are squeeking now and it is getting annoying.
Something tells me that you are looking in the wrong places to purchase your OEM Acura parts. I have a Mercedes-Benz S-class and my rotors aren't that much...check this site out...www.autohausaz.com. They have great prices on OEM parts and free shipping for order over $75, which is especially important considering that rotors are heavy. They have Brembo rotors for $83.64 or PBR for $31.75....
Old 03-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JR_Rider
Something tells me that you are looking in the wrong places to purchase your OEM Acura parts. I have a Mercedes-Benz S-class and my rotors aren't that much...check this site out...www.autohausaz.com. They have great prices on OEM parts and free shipping for order over $75, which is especially important considering that rotors are heavy. They have Brembo rotors for $83.64 or PBR for $31.75....
Thanks for the information, i'm in the same situation.
I'm at 60K, had new rotors and brake pads installed at 35K, and now i need new rotiors, pads, ELK GROVE acura says that I have "warpped" them badly. so i need to cough up $750 to have them install. i said, i can get some REALLY nice after market ones for cheaper installed!!!!! FTW!

Any recommendations on slotted rotors? and brembo caliper pads? HAWK and all those other brands fit OEM BREMBOS right? I have a 06 6SPEED TL.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Cruisin'

Interesting thread...my wifes 2005 TL has 76K on it and still running original pads and rotors, front and rear. Just rotated the wheels tonight. Still have good pad in the back, front pads will need replacing soon. Is rotor min thickness stamped or casted anywhere on the front rotors?
Old 03-31-2010, 02:14 PM
Racer

I'll be interested to see what happens here. I'm currently fighting with the dealership over my front brakes. They resurfaced the warped rotors when I bought it, and now 5,000 miles later, have already warped again. The dealership claims they're not warped, and that the tires are flatspotted.

Yeah. Right. I bet a caliper is sticking or a pad isn't floating right. They're now telling me if I want them to do anything about the brakes I'd have to get Acura Care involved - as though that's a frightening prospect.

Coincidentally I'm getting new tires anyway in a couple weeks, so I'll wait till then, and then prove to them that flatspotted tires weren't it.

Honda/Acura really does need to police it's stealerships better - bad warranty experiences tends to make us eye other brands when it's time to buy again.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:47 PM
7th Gear

Always buy good quality rotors! Trust me I work for a auto parts store and you get what you pay for. Budget rotors from over seas are made of a much lesser quality steel than from name brand products. The cheap ones rust up much quicker and will warp quicker than a oem or equalivent brand.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is there a way you can tell if your rotors are warped or just plain bad? I'm at 72k 5AT 06TL and I haven't replaced my rotors yet... I think Pepboys resurfaced them when they changed brake pads once...
Old 04-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Racer

if your car shakes when you brake, your rotors are probably warped. Otherwise, as long as they aren't too thin, or cracked, they're fine.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks! Last question: How can you tell if your rotors are too thin?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by dajonx
Thanks! Last question: How can you tell if your rotors are too thin?
1) Brake shop measures the rotors and tells you one or more are too thin to cut/machine, or
2) You can use a micrometer to measure the rotor thickness (which the brake place should do before telling you per #1)

Otherwise, there is no way to tell that a rotor is "too thin."

Rule of thumb: If the discs/rotors were machined/cut/resurfaced once before, chances are that new discs/rotors will be necessary on the next brake pad change.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by RC51Ryder
Question for you.......

Those are actually installed wrong. They should always be angled away from the front of the car and not towards to dissipate heat.

I currently have 36k on my TL-S with original pads and rotors. The Pads only have around 5k left in them and I plan to replace those in the next 2 months. The rotors are solid, no vibes, or groves, so I will just continue to use them.

Look at TireRack.com for replacement rotors for your car that are OEM style Brembos. Same rotors but cheaper.