5at to 6mt swap help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 05:13 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
5at to 6mt swap help

I have read some threads from a while back in regards to the 5at to 6mt swap, which I am performing on my 05 TL. I have an 05 TL 6mt donor car I will be taking all of my parts off of. I however have a few questions for those who have done the swap:

-how did you mount the clutch pedal? What did you do with the wiring harness that goes through the firewall where the clutch pedal mounts?

-how did you wire up both switches on the clutch pedal?

-how did you wire the reverse lights to work?

Thanks for the help in advance.
The following users liked this post:
characura (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 07:46 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude sorry i cant help you but i just want to tell you that i will be following this thread as i am interested in doing the same on my 04 tl.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:33 PM
Instructor

Bump anyone have any insight?
Old 04-25-2017, 05:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
Does the clutch pedal area not have mounting holes? I recently had to remove mine to reweld.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:43 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Canadian3GTL, it seems you love unexpected never ending problems, cost overruns, and assorted issues going bump in the night. There's a lot more things you haven't even begun to discover yet in your quest to turn a 5AT into a 6MT. Though I commend your wanting to go to a 6MT, those rare few here who accomplished this endeavor wound up spending $1000's more than they originally anticipated. In the end, you'll probably wish you went out shopping for a 6MT instead. Good luck though .........
Acura TL Builder (01-11-2018)
Old 04-30-2017, 09:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DMZ
Canadian3GTL, it seems you love unexpected never ending problems, cost overruns, and assorted issues going bump in the night. There's a lot more things you haven't even begun to discover yet in your quest to turn a 5AT into a 6MT. Though I commend your wanting to go to a 6MT, those rare few here who accomplished this endeavor wound up spending $1000's more than they originally anticipated. In the end, you'll probably wish you went out shopping for a 6MT instead. Good luck though .........

care to to elaborate on the other things I haven't begun to discover? I have an entire car to take parts from so I think I should be good. Have you done the swap yourself and know what other types of concerns I will run into?
Old 05-01-2017, 06:57 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadian3GTL
care to to elaborate on the other things I haven't begun to discover? I have an entire car to take parts from so I think I should be good. Have you done the swap yourself and know what other types of concerns I will run into?
he's saying...."in theory, you have the parts car...except you dont know what the fuck you're doing. Good luck, as it would have been easier just buying a 6MT to start with"
Old 05-01-2017, 08:21 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
What's preventing you from using the current 6MT car that you have? I would imagine it was totaled in an accident?

Honestly the easiest path would probably be to swap the ENTIRE wiring harness over to your 5AT and go from there. Not sure of the finite differences between the 5AT and 6MT, but I have read that you will need to swap the ECU. The amount of technology in these cars is not friendly to swapping transmissions, but it certainly can be done and has been done, it's just going to be hard to get everything working perfectly. Read through this thread: I paid $6,000 for a Transmission Swap from Paul. Here’s my story (NOT a happy ending) - Drive Accord Honda Forums. While it provides no instructions on how to perform the swap, it may help you identify some issues that you may run into while performing the swap. For instance, he had issues with the memory seats because they would only work in Park, but the 6MT doesn't have a "Park" gear. His reverse lights also did not work when he got the car back. The mirror tilt in reverse didn't work, etc., etc.

Swapping the transmission on will be the easy part, it's the little electrical things that will cause you the most trouble.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
he's saying...."in theory, you have the parts car...except you dont know what the fuck you're doing. Good luck, as it would have been easier just buying a 6MT to start with"
I have read all the swap threads and not to mention I am a licensed technician for BMW so I don't think it can be that bad. The only reason I am asking about the wiring concerns is due to I don't have access to wiring diagrams at BMW

Originally Posted by NoTLoud
What's preventing you from using the current 6MT car that you have? I would imagine it was totaled in an accident?

Honestly the easiest path would probably be to swap the ENTIRE wiring harness over to your 5AT and go from there. Not sure of the finite differences between the 5AT and 6MT, but I have read that you will need to swap the ECU. The amount of technology in these cars is not friendly to swapping transmissions, but it certainly can be done and has been done, it's just going to be hard to get everything working perfectly. Read through this thread: I paid $6,000 for a Transmission Swap from Paul. Here’s my story (NOT a happy ending) - Drive Accord Honda Forums. While it provides no instructions on how to perform the swap, it may help you identify some issues that you may run into while performing the swap. For instance, he had issues with the memory seats because they would only work in Park, but the 6MT doesn't have a "Park" gear. His reverse lights also did not work when he got the car back. The mirror tilt in reverse didn't work, etc., etc.

Swapping the transmission on will be the easy part, it's the little electrical things that will cause you the most trouble.
I have read through that thread and understand the minor things I will have to deal with but I think most of that is easily solvable with wiring diagrams, I was simply asking because if someone has already done this swap, maybe they would care to shed some light on some concerns they ran into and how they solved those problems.

I cant ant use the donor car because it is just in poor shape. I have had my car painted, interior redone, and have my current engine supercharged, I don't want to have to paint another car and swap all my parts over.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:53 AM
Instructor

Also I will be swapping the ecu from the m/t car. Including the engine wiring harness and the engine to ecu wiring harness. The only thing I won't swap is the under dash harness because my car has nav and the donor car doesn't. Even though I have replaced my nav with a nexus 7 I don't want to mess up any climate control functions
Old 05-01-2017, 11:03 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
well, i'm in for results!
Old 05-01-2017, 11:03 AM
Racer

Yeah, I wish I could provide more help, but I am definitely curious to follow your progress. I have interest in doing this myself at some point, but I do realize cost wise it does make more sense to find a 6MT, but they are quite hard to find with reasonable miles.

One thing you may have to do is get your key re-programmed. I am not exactly sure how that will all play in, but I imagine that you will have to unless you swap all the components from the other vehicle and can use the 6MT key.

Having the wiring diagrams will be essential for sure. Best of luck!
Old 05-01-2017, 12:32 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadian3GTL
Have you done the swap yourself and know what other types of concerns I will run into?
I was smart enough to order a 6MT having bought my car brand new.

I don't remember specifics, but I do remember those who did attempt this literally pulling hair out of their head!
justnspace (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 03:16 PM
Racer

This list for the 2G 6MT swap may point you in the right direction as to what parts you can expect to replace: https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ersion-591872/

It seems many people on the forums did swaps on their 2G's.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Yeah there's a good 3G swap part list too. Looks like I will have to program the ecu, I will update when I have had that done. But will have to figure out the wiring before that happens
Old 05-05-2017, 01:18 PM
Racer

Look forward to some updates. The wiring will certainly be the most daunting task, along with getting the ECU to play along nicely with everything.

If you can document the entire process, you could be the pioneer of the 5AT to 6MT swap.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:02 PM
Instructor

I will try to update with progress once I have made some. Currently the weather is not so good here and I am doing this in my driveway so I can't do much at the moment. I will try and come up with a total list of parts I used and the wiring changes i make, once I get that all figured out
Old 05-21-2017, 04:04 PM
Instructor

Bump anyone have any insight how to mount the clutch pedal? Anyone who has done this swap before?