3rd brake light - Rear window - Assistance Needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 07:09 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
3rd brake light - Rear window - Assistance Needed

Hi Guys

Had to have my rear glass replaced the other day… it spidered as I was putting my bike rack on, harness got pinched between trunk lid and window. Not Good.

Anyway, had safelite install proper OEM glass but last night I noticed a shit ton of light coming from 3rd brake light. Turns out the housing that holds the light and directs it outward was not glued to the rear glass causing all of the light to just go basically down towards rear deck. Also it's a safety hazard because I can't see jack with this thing illuminated.

My question is what adhesive can you recommend that will glue the rubber to the glass for a seamless OEM appearance.

Oh and one other note, there is a rubber strip at the bottom of the glass that is decorative and keeps debris and dirt out of the trunk area, this was not included with the new glass and the tech said he couldn't reuse old one. Now I have this huge 2cm gap right into the surrounding trunk area. WTF. Looks like crap and it's driving me nuts.

Gonna have to get creative on that one.
I'll post pics later if I can.

THANK YOU!!!
Old 11-10-2013, 10:52 AM
Racer

bump…

Just tried double sided tape with no success, perhaps a better tape would be necessary.

I don't think a liquid/silicone adhesive would work either as constant pressure would need to be applied until the glue sets…

Or maybe there's something out there that will bond rubber and glass within minutes?

I have some headlight sealer kicking around… might try that.

Could someone be so kind as to look at their 3rd brake light and maybe guess as to how it is adhered to the glass?

I'd be ever grateful...
Old 11-12-2013, 10:31 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
for the 3rd brake light cover is not glued or adhered to the glass at all. There's foam there that tends to break down over time. I just used some insulation foam liner i found at home depot, works fine. Comes in a roll.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ez12a
for the 3rd brake light cover is not glued or adhered to the glass at all. There's foam there that tends to break down over time. I just used some insulation foam liner i found at home depot, works fine. Comes in a roll.
HMMMMMMMMMMM

Maybe the new piece of glass has a more outward arch than the OEM.
Although I looked at it that way and it doesn't seem to stick out any further.
Perhaps when the tech installed new glass he removed foam from the brake light cover...

Thank you ez12a
Would it be possible for you to post a pic from the inside of the car so I can see how it's mated to the glass?

I wish I knew more TL owners around where I live.