3G Tranny Failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010 | 11:53 AM
Pro

Unhappy 3G Tranny Failure

So after going through my concerns about messing up my car trying to change my knock sensor:

Heres the thread

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/engine-tranny-problem-778049/

The tech changed the sensor and the knock sensor harness he also suggested that I flush the coolant, brake fluid and do and do a fuel injection cleaning or something like that. I didnt know how well the previous owner took care of the car so I said ok. the total was 1100. But like I'm a regular and I always go to the same service agent she was able to bring it down to 800 and she also said that after the service was done she might even bring it lower.

So the agent calls me back today and says that the tech did everything.The car drove well and then when he got back to the shop the car started to act up again (explained in previous thread) and that it has internal tranny failure. They also said like I'm a good customer they will pay 85% of the tranny and all I have to come out is $600. I havent got the entire total with discount for everything but I will in a bit.

What I'm concerened about it me doing a tranny flush with Acura three months ago had anything to do with it. A local mechanic always told me never flush the tranny, NEVER! so Im wondering was that the reason. Anyone here had any failure after a flush?
Old 06-02-2010 | 12:12 PM
-------Tim-------

Well, That 15% shouldn't be to bad. Obviously it would be nice to not pay a dime! At least the "flush" was done at the dealer, and you have something to go back on. BTW-How many miles? Year? And when did you have the flush done?
Old 06-02-2010 | 12:38 PM
Pro

just got the total for everything $1700. I did the flush around February. Yes that 85% discount is great, and its a new tranny 3 year 32k warranty. I always go to the same agent and always give her great reviews when they call me for the survey.So I guess one good deed deserves another. My car has 52,000 miles its an 05. I bought it last year with 38,000
Old 06-02-2010 | 12:42 PM
Race Director

Let me guess, Auto Plaza Mall?

The worst dealership ever.... I'm not allowed there no more I cursed them all to hell, unknowledgeable greedy bastards.
Old 06-02-2010 | 12:51 PM
Pro

haha.. nope. Acura of Manhattan, they are good to me. Paragon Acura was the worst. So compared to them any dealer is better.

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
Let me guess, Auto Plaza Mall?

The worst dealership ever.... I'm not allowed there no more I cursed them all to hell, unknowledgeable greedy bastards.
Old 06-02-2010 | 07:15 PM
Chapter Leader (New England)

IMO Acura should be paying for 100% of the tranny. These transmissions aren't supposed to fail after 52k/mi. I'd call Acura.
Old 06-03-2010 | 09:47 AM
Banned

Crazy, my TL transmission had an internal failure on Monday with 110,000 KMs. I had the transmission fluid changed as it was required with the A3 service just a couple weeks ago at an Acura dealer. In those couple weeks I hardly drove the car, where as I usually drive daily.

I was told the same thing by older experienced people, "you should have never had to change the tranny fluid".

In the end I got hooked up and got a $5,600 + HST transmission for free, but had to pay the 10 hours labor. Car should be done today or tomorrow. Can't complain too much considering the money I saved with no warranty, but this kind of thing should never happen at such low mileage.
Old 06-03-2010 | 11:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

^...couldnt come up with a better user name?
Old 06-03-2010 | 11:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by el.profe
haha.. nope. Acura of Manhattan, they are good to me. Paragon Acura was the worst. So compared to them any dealer is better.

+1 on Paragon sucking. Their customer service is excellent when your considering purchasing a car from them.

once you bought it, its like they dont give a crap about your issues.
for sure im never going to them for my next car. However, Curry Acura is one of the better dealerships i've dealt with. they're located in westchester county so its not to close to queens but, i'll take the drive just because they show appreciation after the fact and dont slack off.
Old 06-03-2010 | 11:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
^...couldnt come up with a better user name?
Long story. This is my new (original) user name.
Old 06-03-2010 | 11:54 AM
Racer

Threads like this make me paranoid about my 04 with 70K miles. I bought car with 48K and I did a 3x3 flush at 50K and a 1x1 at 60K and 70K. I plan on doing a 1x1 every 10K and 3x3 every 30K. 90% of my driving is on highway.

OP: Did your car have any symptoms before the tranny went.
Old 06-03-2010 | 12:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by d-j-m
Long story. This is my new (original) user name.

lol...
Old 06-03-2010 | 12:54 PM
Pro

yes it did. After reading 2G tranny failure I saw that my car had a lag when taking the car off from P to D. It would take a few seconds before it actually moved. There were a few ocassions where I pressed the gas and it did not move, I was scared to shit when that happend. I then put the car on Park and tried it again. I figured it was due to cold starts in the morning. Well I get my car next week. Lets hope everything is good.

BTW did Acura recommend you to do the flush?

Originally Posted by cherplex
Threads like this make me paranoid about my 04 with 70K miles. I bought car with 48K and I did a 3x3 flush at 50K and a 1x1 at 60K and 70K. I plan on doing a 1x1 every 10K and 3x3 every 30K. 90% of my driving is on highway.

OP: Did your car have any symptoms before the tranny went.
Old 06-04-2010 | 08:55 AM
ScoobyZINE

My 05 has 98k and IDK if it has ever been flushed. I've been wanting to do the 3x3 flush for some time now but after reading this thread, I'm kind of skeptical. I do not get that long pause from P to D though, and my tranny shifts perfectly. I'm like the others and unsure of how the previous owner took care of the car.
Old 06-04-2010 | 10:24 AM
Racer

yes it did. After reading 2G tranny failure I saw that my car had a lag when taking the car off from P to D. It would take a few seconds before it actually moved. There were a few ocassions where I pressed the gas and it did not move, I was scared to shit when that happend. I then put the car on Park and tried it again. I figured it was due to cold starts in the morning. Well I get my car next week. Lets hope everything is good.

BTW did Acura recommend you to do the flush?
Oh ok my car doesn't have any symptoms and shifts perfectly. I don't deal with Acura. I service my car at Accurate which is a well known Honda/Acura shop here locally. I voiced my concerns with them and told them that a 3x3 was done and I wanted to do a 1x1 every 10K and the guy said that's fine and he didn't see any issues with doing that.
Old 06-14-2010 | 08:52 PM
6spd FTW

My friend's 06 has been slipping a little and whining for a while. Acura kept telling him that "it's fine". Today on his way back to work from lunch it died on him on the highway. He restarted the car and was able to limp back to work where we were checking it out. At that point it started slipping REAL bad and within 2 minutes of easy slow driving (5-10mph) back and forth it lost all gears and started smoking near the trans... At least it still has the parking pin. He's right around 90k miles.
Old 06-14-2010 | 09:04 PM
Pro

Sucks. I feel his pain. Although, I love how my car is driving. No lag no anything. As soon as he gets his new tranny his going to love his car. Make sure that he mentions to Acura the goodwill 85/15 coverage. Which is what they gave me and my tranny only came out to 600

Originally Posted by Tehvine
My friend's 06 has been slipping a little and whining for a while. Acura kept telling him that "it's fine". Today on his way back to work from lunch it died on him on the highway. He restarted the car and was able to limp back to work where we were checking it out. At that point it started slipping REAL bad and within 2 minutes of easy slow driving (5-10mph) back and forth it lost all gears and started smoking near the trans... At least it still has the parking pin. He's right around 90k miles.
Old 06-14-2010 | 10:15 PM
6spd FTW

Luckily he has an extended warranty through Acura so he is mint, they towed it away today.
Old 06-16-2010 | 10:01 PM
Team Owner

This is why the search feature is so good.

You would know that the 3rd and 4th gear solenoids need to be replaced as a normal part of PM because they cause mechanical failures via slipping clutches. Honda Z1 is the worst fluid out there and should be replaced with Amsoil, Mobil One, or Redline. A flush is never to be done, just a drain and refill or if equipped, pull a cooler line while filling it at the same time. Now if you have the flush documented and you bring the part of the manual that says to never have it flushed you may have a 100% way out.

Granted the first part is not totally aimed at the OP because he had such low mileage. Even I don't suggest doing the solenoids at that low of a mileage. But if this car had 50K miles on the crappy Z1 and then it was force fed new fluid with new detergents, more than likely something got plugged causing a pressure loss and slippage.
Old 06-16-2010 | 10:26 PM
Pro

So correct me if I'm wrong, your saying that flushing the tranny could be the cause of the tranny failure. I also have to mention that I did change the 3 gear switch with Acura as well, two months before the failure and two months after the flush. One more thing that caught my attention with your statement. The manual acutally says never to flush the tranny?

Originally Posted by I hate cars
This is why the search feature is so good.

You would know that the 3rd and 4th gear solenoids need to be replaced as a normal part of PM because they cause mechanical failures via slipping clutches. Honda Z1 is the worst fluid out there and should be replaced with Amsoil, Mobil One, or Redline. A flush is never to be done, just a drain and refill or if equipped, pull a cooler line while filling it at the same time. Now if you have the flush documented and you bring the part of the manual that says to never have it flushed you may have a 100% way out.

Granted the first part is not totally aimed at the OP because he had such low mileage. Even I don't suggest doing the solenoids at that low of a mileage. But if this car had 50K miles on the crappy Z1 and then it was force fed new fluid with new detergents, more than likely something got plugged causing a pressure loss and slippage.
Old 06-16-2010 | 10:33 PM
05' AT SSM

Don't get flush and drain and refill confused, Flushing is totally different that draining and refilling
Old 06-28-2010 | 08:41 PM
Instructor

Oh my god I'm buggin' out now because of this thread. Can someone please give their opinion about the following?

Just picked up an '05 w/ 91,000. It has never had a flush or drain. The tranny feels good. No noticeable symptoms.

Should I do ANYTHING re: tranny now? Flush or drain?
Or should I do anything re: tranny during my 100k t-belt/water pump job?

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2010 | 08:46 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by terryt5231
Oh my god I'm buggin' out now because of this thread. Can someone please give their opinion about the following?

Just picked up an '05 w/ 91,000. It has never had a flush or drain. The tranny feels good. No noticeable symptoms.

Should I do ANYTHING re: tranny now? Flush or drain?
Or should I do anything re: tranny during my 100k t-belt/water pump job?

Thanks!
I would get some new fluid in there fairly soon. Try some Redline D4 or their Racing fluid.

Since it's been so long, I would do a single drain and fill and drive it for a good week before doing the second and third drain and fills. This way, the new detergents will be more gentle and diluted so they won't break away large particles and plug things up.

Absolutely do not flush.

After you've done your 3rd drain and fill, shifts should be quick and crisp. If not, do the 3rd and 4th gear solenoids.
Old 06-28-2010 | 09:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I would get some new fluid in there fairly soon. Try some Redline D4 or their Racing fluid.

Since it's been so long, I would do a single drain and fill and drive it for a good week before doing the second and third drain and fills. This way, the new detergents will be more gentle and diluted so they won't break away large particles and plug things up.

Absolutely do not flush.

After you've done your 3rd drain and fill, shifts should be quick and crisp. If not, do the 3rd and 4th gear solenoids.
Thanks 'hate cars'. Assuming I'm not ready to DIY tranny "issues", should I go to Acura for the single drain and fill, or a trusted independent shop? If I bring it to Acura, do you think they'll try to sell me on the 3x3 drain and fill?

Also, 3rd and 4th gear solenoids...a.k.a this, right? ---- https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...smission+fluid
Old 06-28-2010 | 09:37 PM
2004 Acura TL

Thanks 'hate cars'. Assuming I'm not ready to DIY tranny "issues", should I go to Acura for the single drain and fill, or a trusted independent shop? If I bring it to Acura, do you think they'll try to sell me on the 3x3 drain and fill?

Also, 3rd and 4th gear solenoids...a.k.a this, right? ---- https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...smission+fluid
You can do it yourself and save you some money. Search for the thread in the 3G TL garage. I've done it, its as easy as pumping gas.

But if your not a DIY guy then take it to Acura, so just in case anything wrong happens to your TL in the future, you have proof that you at least did some primitive maintenance.
Old 07-11-2010 | 02:25 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Sucks. I feel his pain. Although, I love how my car is driving. No lag no anything. As soon as he gets his new tranny his going to love his car. Make sure that he mentions to Acura the goodwill 85/15 coverage. Which is what they gave me and my tranny only came out to 600
Does the 80/15 goodwill apply to all acuras? I bought my 04 TL from a private dealearship not from the Acura dealership, will it still applied? Thanks.
Old 07-11-2010 | 02:41 PM
Team Owner

If you're getting it done by Acura, chances are you're going to pay a lot more to do a 1x3 3 different times than a 3x3 once. I think your chances would be better from an independent. Acura will give you grief for not using an OEM fluid even if the car is out of warranty.

If you're not going to do it yourself you might as well do a 3x3. Doing it gradually like I said before is the safest way but it's very unlikely doing the 3x3 will hurt a thing.
Old 07-13-2010 | 08:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sondinh
Does the 80/15 goodwill apply to all acuras? I bought my 04 TL from a private dealearship not from the Acura dealership, will it still applied? Thanks.
Word. Is the goodwill on all Acura's? I will be getting my TL from a local toyota dealership. They give a 1yr/12k miles power train warranty on all used cars they sell, so most parts in the tranny will be covered but not all. Mostly internals. Tranny only has 29k on it anyway and it is smooth. I am still really worried.
Old 08-06-2010 | 10:27 PM
Intermediate

mm this has got me to thinking now.. I had did a tranny clean with Acura and now a couple of months later the freaking tranny is gone in it
Old 08-08-2010 | 12:07 PM
10th Gear

just got the total for everything $1700. I did the flush around February. Yes that 85% discount is great, and its a new tranny 3 year 32k warranty. I always go to the same agent and always give her great reviews when they call me for the survey.So I guess one good deed deserves another. My car has 52,000 miles its an 05. I bought it last year with 38,000

My tranny just went the other day and i only have 52k on it to and its a 05 i gotta call Acura tommorow and hopefully they will fix it for me too......i just bought car 4 months ago not even and now the trans goes.... thats not right... the only thing is my car has no warrenty do u think acura will cover it???
Old 08-08-2010 | 09:04 PM
Pro

They should. Tell them about the good will program most acuras offer. I think majority of the dealers do it. Also if you bought the car from a dealer, you should be able to return it. I think thats covered under the lemon law

Originally Posted by 05acwhite
my tranny just went the other day and i only have 52k on it to and its a 05 i gotta call acura tommorow and hopefully they will fix it for me too......i just bought car 4 months ago not even and now the trans goes.... Thats not right... The only thing is my car has no warrenty do u think acura will cover it???
Old 08-18-2010 | 05:23 AM
Burning Brakes

I bought an 05 TL 2 weeks ago with 92K on it, first the battery went bad, now the tranny is bad too. I was under the 1000 mile warranty when I got it towed to the shop the first time for the tranny, now Im over and its acting up again but I have all the documentation to prove it first happened while it was still under warranty. Im going to have a long drawn out battle with the dealership, I can already tell. Maybe Ill try acura for their goodwill warranty
Old 08-18-2010 | 09:40 AM
Suzuka Master

I would love to say it is a rare occurance for the 3rd gen to suffer a trans failure but unfortunately it is not.......nice car with lots of features but having trans issues really hurts the car's resale value
Old 09-15-2010 | 10:30 PM
Cruisin'

damn.. I wish I would have read this sooner... I'M A HERB !!
Old 09-16-2010 | 03:43 PM
Racer

Aren't the 05's transmissions covered under the 6 year 70Kmi powertrain warranty like my 06 is?
Old 09-20-2010 | 04:43 PM
Cruisin'

my wife just had her transmission fluid changed for first time with 150,000 miles on it at the dealership and 2 weeks later it just begun slipping badly at low speed when cold. We are not driving it till it gets back in to the dealer. I would check with transmission experts on what to do if the fluid has not been changed for awhile.