3G TL - front passenger door won't lock/unlock via remote nor manually

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015 | 12:06 PM
Advanced

3G TL - front passenger door won't lock/unlock via remote nor manually

My remote works, it locks/unlocks all doors and trunk. The button inside the car works in the same manner. However, the front passenger door won't lock/unlock. Even if you try to manually pull up the locking slide on the door, it won't move. Anyone know what would cause this? Kind of annoying now being able to use your front passenger door at all.
Thanks!
Old 02-15-2015 | 12:17 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Welcome to Acurazine.

Need a little clarification on your post. When you say your key fob operates all doors and trunk, this is inclusive of the front passenger door? And the "button inside the car" - this is the power door lock switch? And it also works the front passenger door? Or are you saying the front passenger door lock doesn't work at all?

Last edited by NBP04TL4ME; 02-15-2015 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-16-2015 | 02:28 PM
Advanced

Correct, the front passenger door lock will not work at all. However, as of this morning it now works again.... For how long though, idk. Regardless, if/when it happens again, I'd like to atleast have other ideas as to what could be causing it to be entirely inoperable. As I said in my original post, it cannot even be manually pulled up to the unlock position.
Old 02-16-2015 | 02:49 PM

It's odd that you can't even operate the lock manually. I was thinking the power lock actuator may not be working because it isn't getting power (maybe a pinched wire in the conduit near where the door hinge is) or perhaps it had died completely. However the fact that it won't let you operate it manually and is now working again, may mean that something was binding it up. When you try to unlock or lock this particular door with the fob or door lock switch, does it make any noise at all. I know this may be hard to notice now that it is working again. Does the power window work? Puddle lights? Just trying to figure out if there is power going to the other items in the door.
If it continues to be a problem, your only option is going to be to take the door panel off and inspect the lock acuator both for power and to see if there is anything that could possibly be impeding operation.
I can't say it's common for the lock acuator to fail, but I know they can and do complain (whining sound) and others here on AZ have had some replaced. I have an 08 TL Type S and mine complain from time to time but still continue to work. We also had one replaced under warranty on our MDX.
Old 02-16-2015 | 03:07 PM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
It's odd that you can't even operate the lock manually. I was thinking the power lock actuator may not be working because it isn't getting power (maybe a pinched wire in the conduit near where the door hinge is) or perhaps it had died completely. However the fact that it won't let you operate it manually and is now working again, may mean that something was binding it up. When you try to unlock or lock this particular door with the fob or door lock switch, does it make any noise at all. I know this may be hard to notice now that it is working again. Does the power window work? Puddle lights? Just trying to figure out if there is power going to the other items in the door.
If it continues to be a problem, your only option is going to be to take the door panel off and inspect the lock acuator both for power and to see if there is anything that could possibly be impeding operation.
I can't say it's common for the lock acuator to fail, but I know they can and do complain (whining sound) and others here on AZ have had some replaced. I have an 08 TL Type S and mine complain from time to time but still continue to work. We also had one replaced under warranty on our MDX.
Before buying my 04 TL I've seen a 05 and 06 with a driver side lock actuator failure.
I would definitely not say it's rare for the actuators to fail.
Old 02-16-2015 | 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by polobunny
Before buying my 04 TL I've seen a 05 and 06 with a driver side lock actuator failure.
I would definitely not say it's rare for the actuators to fail.
- I didn't say rare, I said not common
Old 02-16-2015 | 05:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Water got in and froze the components? It has happened to me on my driver door.
Old 02-16-2015 | 05:49 PM

Possible although we don't know where the OP lives and/or what climate he is subjected to.
Old 02-27-2015 | 11:53 AM
Advanced

Climate- MN. It's been off an on frigid. I had just washed my car, it was around 30 degrees when I washed it. That evening it was near 0 degrees. It didn't work for a day or two, but now it works. So hopefully it just froze up due to the water? Seems odd, but possible? Idk. It's working now.
Old 02-27-2015 | 12:37 PM

Well congrats on it working again -

Guess Yvuru was correct!