2008 TL Type S 111k miles strange noise...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 06:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2008 TL Type S 111k miles strange noise...

So I got my tl type s around 2 months ago... it came already with a K&N intake so the only thing I have done to it so far is a muffler delete, but I am starting to hear this strange noise on the right side of the engine...
Here is a video...
As for the noise on the left side, I am really hoping it has nothing to do with the timing belt, although I am pretty sure it has been serviced based off of the paint marks and the belt itself...

if I could get some insight as to what it could be and if I should be worried or not that would be great... I plan on getting it inspected next weekend.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:17 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Maybe a valve adjustment? Not sure. But what I do know is that the belt in your pictures isn't the timing belt, but the serpentine belt. Has that been serviced? You can do that one relatively easy through the wheel well. Parts are around maybe $120 for the belt itself and some pulleys/tensioners.
The following users liked this post:
soital (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 08:11 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
You sure you got oil in that, your valves are loud? LOL. But it dose sound you like you need a valve adjust. Now is this noise coming from the driver side or the passenger? If you got a noise coming from the passenger, could be one of your pulleys, most likely the belt tensioner, bearing could be going out.
The following users liked this post:
soital (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:10 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jimmyfu
Maybe a valve adjustment? Not sure. But what I do know is that the belt in your pictures isn't the timing belt, but the serpentine belt. Has that been serviced? You can do that one relatively easy through the wheel well. Parts are around maybe $120 for the belt itself and some pulleys/tensioners.
Well that is embarrassing... do you know where the timing belt is so I can check? I know its been serviced frequently from 2008-2014 but I couldn't get specifics... came from a reputable dealership
Old 03-28-2017, 10:13 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Duronn
You sure you got oil in that, your valves are loud? LOL. But it dose sound you like you need a valve adjust. Now is this noise coming from the driver side or the passenger? If you got a noise coming from the passenger, could be one of your pulleys, most likely the belt tensioner, bearing could be going out.
It has oil, LOL. But yeah there is a bit of noise from the passenger side and a really obnoxious noise from the drivers side....
Old 03-28-2017, 10:13 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
In your last picture, in the middle, right above the serpentine/drive belt is the front timing belt cover. You'd need to take that off I think to inspect, but the bottom bolts are hard to get to without removing the serpentine belt. The serpentine belt itself looks pretty new tbh, are you sure that someone didn't mistaken the timing belt service for the drive belt service?
Old 03-28-2017, 10:25 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

See if this is the culprit