2008 tl peace of s h * t

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Lazy Idiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by TL2498
Not sure when/if the Black boxes went into mandate, but I would think so.
These Black Boxes that you talk about are the Airbag Modules in the Car. They record the throttle and brake positions when the car has an accident. They can be
retrieved, plugged in and you can actually find out driver reactions BEFORE the
crash.

Almost every vehicle has a "Black Box" and importantly, i recently read that the data retrieved from such a Module were used in (Successfully) Prosecuting a drunk man who hit a minivan and killed an entire family (Mother, Children and all) :angryfire .It wouldnt be of much help in this case but there are other ways of ascertaining mechanical failure from abuse

Old 05-30-2008, 04:48 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

no paragon is not doing the work....
Old 05-30-2008, 04:50 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

after all i guess im going to let them put the new motor and just take it from there...
Old 05-30-2008, 04:52 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

now im just asking for help. when i get this motor what should i do and not do?
Old 05-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You should sacrifice a chicken monthly by cutting off its head and offering it to the Acura Gods. Then drain the blood into a cup and add it in with your next oil change. Voodoo for the win!!!!!

D
Old 05-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ac08odl
now im just asking for help. when i get this motor what should i do and not do?
Break it in properly for the first 1000 miles.

Use the correct gas.

When you hear strange noises stop driving immediately and have it looked it.

Read up on how an engine works so if someone tells you that you "Blew your VTEC" you can realize they're lying to you.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i filled up my car with bp 93.. i never been over 100mph in that car i have big rims on it.. i waited 800 miles to brake in the car...
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181166

Didn't you create this thread??
Old 05-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by bhelsdon
wow, that just shows how much the OP tells the truth....
Old 05-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Old 05-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,148 Likes on 775 Posts
OP, unless it's another "ac08odl" w/the same avatar.
"i ran my car at 120mph about 3 months ago and it cut out and slowed down by it self . my check engine light came on along with the vsa... i ran 120 again yesterday and the same thing."

Sounds like OP encountered a bunch of codes we won't be told about.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Instructor

This almost reminds me of that story about the kids in the BMW M5 who posted 1 day on a forum about "Why does my M5 shake above 130" and the next day drove off a runway killing 5 friends.

Be glad you killed your engine first.

Sorry if that comes off as "holier then thou" - everyone has their dumb moments in a car, but its highly advisable to learn quickly things that are bad ideas rather than end up dead.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:22 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
OP, unless it's another "ac08odl" w/the same avatar.
"i ran my car at 120mph about 3 months ago and it cut out and slowed down by it self . my check engine light came on along with the vsa... i ran 120 again yesterday and the same thing."

Sounds like OP encountered a bunch of codes we won't be told about.

He said a few posts back that was his "freind's" TL and he posted on his behalf.

Anyhow calling is one thing, but you guys gotta remember: For some people here, English is NOT their native language. I suspect that's the case here, so I'd cut the guy some slack on his grammer and spelling.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ggesq
Everyone needs to tone it down.

I heard Paragon sucks in general. Are they doing your warranty work?
Paragon is the worse dealership. When I had my rsx I blew my engine from downshifting 5th to 2nd and it over revved. This was my first stick car and I didn't know that i was suppose to step on the clutch to bring the revs down. After 2 weeks of driving the car my cel comes on, so I took it to my boy and he pulled the codes for me. The codes were all misfires so i changed all my plugs and reset the ecu. About a week later the cel comes on again and I had my boy who works in acura test drive the car. He drove it and he got on it and said nothing is wrong the car so i took his word for it (this was on a tues). Friday night im driving around with my boy and I decide to gun it and all of a sudden my motor starts to knock so i pull over and shut the car off. I tried to start the car but it wouldnt start and smoke was coming out of the exhaust. So I called roadside assistance and they took my car to Paragon. So I waited until Monday to call them and I spoke with the service manager and he tells me that the tech looked at the car and my cai caused my engine to blow. As soon as he told me this I knew that I was going to have a problem after 2 weeks of going back and forth I got my car towed back to my house and ordered the type r motor which I had my boy install. They gave me some story that they were going to take my engine apart and it was a 10 hour job at $90 and hour and that wasnt going to guarantee if the motor would be replaced under warranty being the car had a cai.

Sorry for the long post but I had to share how bad paragon acura is. I would never go back to them for any type of service.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:33 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,148 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
He said a few posts back that was his "freind's" TL and he posted on his behalf.

Anyhow calling is one thing, but you guys gotta remember: For some people here, English is NOT their native language. I suspect that's the case here, so I'd cut the guy some slack on his grammer and spelling.
OP has a couple of different threads here- his TL is throwing codes and not going much above 120 MPH; his "friend's TL" in this thread was never driven over 100 MPH, but is knocking and has issues with VTEC-- sounds like to me.

Also, OP's horrendous (lack of) capitalization, punctuation and spelling are probably due to posting while using a cell phone rather than a computer keyboard- check some of the typos: "studd" instead of "stuff" = number keypad type mistake.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:09 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gen8888
Isn't the knocking you described some of the issues that '07-08 TL and TLS owners are facing with their cars? I know there is a huge thread in the Problems and Fixes section on this site. Is that just an isolated problem or widespread?

I'm worried on purchasing a '08 TL-S because of this problem and the rear clunking sound in the suspension. There is no fix for the engine knocking sound and from what I've read this occurs either new or a few thousand miles down the road. I'm afraid the knocking will eventually lead to engine failure but Acura denies nothing is wrong?

This is a widespread problem. I took my car to the shop for this shit. They said it was the drivebelt tensioner and replaced it, same thing. Went to pick it up, started the car and handed the keys back. Returned a second time and they stated it was carbon from the valve train. They ran more tests for 4 days and ran some cleaner through the engine for a day. Got it back and it silenced at idle but when I reved it to about 2.5k u could still hear it. After having my car 3 weeks its going back. This is ruining my Acura experience because I love my car to death. I do not love this sound from a vehicle I paid hefty cash for. Its bad enough our rear bumpers are not matched right.

p.s. While having my car in the shop a total of like 6 days the 2 loaner cars I had made a similar noise but it could only be heard from the cabin and not outside. I'm wondering if this is yet another fuckup from Acura.

*sigh* too be continued.....
Old 05-31-2008, 10:10 AM
Advanced

pellepelle_10 is getting close to the Lemon Law kicking in.

I love all the youngsters on here screaming "Lemon Law!!!" What a bunch of barracks lawyers. If you've never gone through the process of getting a car replaced under the Lemon Law, you should pipe down. I actually did have a car replaced under the Lemon Law back in 1995.

Dealer has to be given an honest chance at repairing the problem and the car must spend at least a certain number of days at the dealer without resolution before you can even start the process. If Acura replaces the engine and that solves the problem, you cannot invoke the Lemon Law.

Sorry to rain on your parades.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:16 AM
Instructor

I believe in NY State a car must have the same problem happen 3 times - plus repairs before a Lemon law will be considered. My friends Pontiac had the power steering pump fail twice in the first year he owned it and they wouldn't replace the car under the Lemon law unless it happened again.

But heres the full text if anyone cares: http://dealerselect.com/lemon/bystate/NY_lemonlaw2.html
Old 05-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes the lemon law will vary state to state.

D
Old 05-31-2008, 02:56 PM
Race Director

Sounds like a lemon.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:28 PM
Elegance

Sometimes I wonder how people get through life...maybe they don't.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:23 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
paragon acura queens, ny.........................
No wonder. Paragon and Brooklyn Acura have 2 of the worst reputations of ALL Acura dealers nationwide, that is, out of ALL 260 of them.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2008, 10:58 PM
Type- (S)low

Call Acura Corp, explain the situation and let them talk to the shop guy. If you know for sure that you didn't do anything to hurt the car, then you would have absolutely no problem with them taking it part and determine the issue.
They should
1. Give you a loner car (new tsx ,mdx, or maybe RL)
2. Kiss your ass
3. Give you a new engine (or necessary parts all together)
4. sell your car asap , buy BMW
5. Good Luck
Old 06-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Intermediate

I will tell you from first hand experience usually if something doesnt sound right or look right or smell right i usually isnt. This story is fishy, if in fact the car was making this horrible knocking noise when brought to the dealer any dealer worth a dman would have addressed it. Acura dealers are independent organizations they are paid by Acura to fix warranty defects. If a tech ignores a problem he DOES NOT get paid hardly anything for looking at it. There is no incentive for Acura dealers not to find problems, they are not kicked back for ignoring problems. Dealers get a bad rep on this one, well atleast the ones i have worked for, im sure others are worse
Old 06-01-2008, 01:19 AM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
what a great thread. 1) OP with no credibility lying and saying that the car just got messed up by itself 2) he is dealing with one of the worst stealerships in the country and 3) all of the azine posters telling him that the car is a lemon and that he should be given a new car. what a winning combination.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:03 AM
3rd Gear

My last car was a 2006 mazda speed6 the car had roughly 10,000 miles on it when one day I was sitting at a stop light and bang smoke and antifreeze everywhere. Long story short the piston came off the rod and crashed into the valves breaking them and sending the rod through the block. They finally replaced the engine and everything was fine but after that I didnt want the car anymore. Not sure about where you live but in most states to use the lemon law you have to bring the car in four times for the same problem or the car has to be down for 30 days. keep us posted.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:13 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by DC5 SLEEPER
Paragon is the worse dealership. When I had my rsx I blew my engine from downshifting 5th to 2nd and it over revved. This was my first stick car and I didn't know that i was suppose to step on the clutch to bring the revs down. After 2 weeks of driving the car my cel comes on, so I took it to my boy and he pulled the codes for me. The codes were all misfires so i changed all my plugs and reset the ecu. About a week later the cel comes on again and I had my boy who works in acura test drive the car. He drove it and he got on it and said nothing is wrong the car so i took his word for it (this was on a tues). Friday night im driving around with my boy and I decide to gun it and all of a sudden my motor starts to knock so i pull over and shut the car off. I tried to start the car but it wouldnt start and smoke was coming out of the exhaust. So I called roadside assistance and they took my car to Paragon. So I waited until Monday to call them and I spoke with the service manager and he tells me that the tech looked at the car and my cai caused my engine to blow. As soon as he told me this I knew that I was going to have a problem after 2 weeks of going back and forth I got my car towed back to my house and ordered the type r motor which I had my boy install. They gave me some story that they were going to take my engine apart and it was a 10 hour job at $90 and hour and that wasnt going to guarantee if the motor would be replaced under warranty being the car had a cai.

Sorry for the long post but I had to share how bad paragon acura is. I would never go back to them for any type of service.
Why are they the worst dealer because they didn't replace the engine you blew? CAI excuse was pretty weak but so was taking in the car and hiding the fact that you over reved it. When they don't know what happened but it looks funny, typical to put the tear down charge on customer. In this instance they would have been correct.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dumamei
take that shit back.. Acura has to fix it, or give you a new car.. Only two solutions.. Dont worry.. The law is on your side.
What do you mean by, "Acura has to fix it?"

Several members on this site are experiencing chronic engine knock - even with 93 octane - and Acura simply denies the problem.

Why fix when denial is cheaper?
Old 06-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 04TLinSYR
pellepelle_10 is getting close to the Lemon Law kicking in.

I love all the youngsters on here screaming "Lemon Law!!!" What a bunch of barracks lawyers. If you've never gone through the process of getting a car replaced under the Lemon Law, you should pipe down. I actually did have a car replaced under the Lemon Law back in 1995.

Dealer has to be given an honest chance at repairing the problem and the car must spend at least a certain number of days at the dealer without resolution before you can even start the process. If Acura replaces the engine and that solves the problem, you cannot invoke the Lemon Law.

Sorry to rain on your parades.
Honestly bro I could care less for getting another car. Again I love MY CAR. I just want my stuff fixed. I'm calling them this week to have them look at it again. I'm demanding I don't see this car until this sound is gone or else I'm raising hell for them to give me the same problem. Whats sad is some of the mechanics stated they removed belts and just ran the engine and they do hear the sound. (so why in the hell do I get it back?) I'll fill you guys in on the results. There's someone on this board that acually got this problem fixed so I'll see what comes out of this next experience.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Sandy Eggo

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
OP=FAIL

BTW.. You know when you post every thread has a spell check built in right? USE IT
It makes me wanna slap you, just reading your jibberish..

Old 06-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Instructor

I wonder who's gonna be the one to email the dealer and link them to these threads....

kidding..
Old 06-02-2008, 12:51 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

hey wussup fellas? hope every body had a a great weekend.. so back to braking in the motor. should i not use shift-tronics? what rpms should i stay below for the first 1000 miles? should i use cruise control? i drive 50 miles a day to work...
Old 06-02-2008, 12:52 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

also should i try to get something free from the dealer since the motor broke down on me?
Old 06-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Not just another newbie!

Do what you want. Apparently you are able to get a new engine every 7000 miles.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Laker fan

hey wussup fellas? hope every body had a a great weekend.. so back to braking in the motor. should i not use shift-tronics? what rpms should i stay below for the first 1000 miles? should i use cruise control? i drive 50 miles a day to work...
check your owners manual. it should you give some recommendations on what you are looking for.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by acuraservice
I will tell you from first hand experience usually if something doesnt sound right or look right or smell right i usually isnt. This story is fishy, if in fact the car was making this horrible knocking noise when brought to the dealer any dealer worth a dman would have addressed it. Acura dealers are independent organizations they are paid by Acura to fix warranty defects. If a tech ignores a problem he DOES NOT get paid hardly anything for looking at it. There is no incentive for Acura dealers not to find problems, they are not kicked back for ignoring problems. Dealers get a bad rep on this one, well atleast the ones i have worked for, im sure others are worse
I can't speak on your behalf but for my issue they sat in my car. Heard the issue. Stated it was fixed. I returned and started up the car to hear the exact same sound. Handed them the keys back to return 5 days later and hear, yes, the same sound only a tad quieter. I spoke to the mechanic while they ahd my car decabin for a couple days and he even said after the 2nd go that he could still hear the sound. They asked me to drive it for 2 weeks to see if the sound would elimitate and we're at try #3 to get this eliminated. I'm hoping your right about getting a bad rep because I'm sure they should be sick and tired of my car returning because they fail to diagnose the problem. I'm grateful A-Train posted a similar thread with all the parts they fixed to resolve his sound issues so I'll take this thread to the service manager and see what he can do. At this point I don't intend to see my car until this sound is entirely eliminated. I'm going to keep m y fingers crossed on this. I hope everyone else is getting better luck than I am.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MR1
Why are they the worst dealer because they didn't replace the engine you blew? CAI excuse was pretty weak but so was taking in the car and hiding the fact that you over reved it. When they don't know what happened but it looks funny, typical to put the tear down charge on customer. In this instance they would have been correct.
paragon isnt a mod friendly dealership at all and the customer service is just bad.
there's was another dealership in long island that was a "mod friendly" and they would actually help, but the time i found this info out it was to late. The dealership in long island has replaced the motors under warranty due to the over revvinng issue. the gears on those cars were so close so when you think you shift down to 4th you end up in 2nd. after i installed my k20a i installed a short shifter which made a difference.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DC5 SLEEPER
paragon isnt a mod friendly dealership at all and the customer service is just bad.
there's was another dealership in long island that was a "mod friendly" and they would actually help, but the time i found this info out it was to late. The dealership in long island has replaced the motors under warranty due to the over revvinng issue. the gears on those cars were so close so when you think you shift down to 4th you end up in 2nd. after i installed my k20a i installed a short shifter which made a difference.
Here is my problem with that scenario......if the dealer is willing to be fraudulent with Acura and ignore knowledge of over-revving, who is to say that they are not willing to be fraudulent with you Mr. Joe Consumer. Mod friendly is one thing, if you are familiar with the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975 a manufacturer cannot deny a warranty based on aftermarket components unless the failure of a component can be directly tied to that aftermarket component. Granted this is an area with a lot of grays but to make it more black and white if you install an aftermarket alarm that affects the integrity of an ignition switch and that ignition switch fails.......guess what....no warranty. What I'm getting at is it is irresponsible and fraudulent of a dealer to cover up a known user error problem and mask it as a defect in parts or workmanship. Keep this in mind people warranties are meant for exactly that to protect the end user from defects in parts or workmanship, they are not meant as a big warm fuzzy blanket to wrap around you that says that if anything goes wrong no matter what in the first 4 years or 50,000 miles you will no be responsible. Ok I will step off my soap box now.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Advanced

dont deserve to be a TL owner

uh.. ac08odl.

you're a douche. you don't even know what you're writing. first you said they gave you a 08 TSX.. then you said they didn't make up your mind with your lies so they will sound true.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
did you read the last few posts? no offense but no one is taking your questions seriously anymore.

ugh. ok. your questions.

1. shift tronics? um... manual mode you mean? i wouldnt advise it cuz it condones sporty driving... no need to use it really.

2. just use common sense really. what is heavy acceleration to you? id say keep under 3k revs.

3. cruise is fine. in fact with your 120 mph driving its probably better that you stick that sucker at the speed limit.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
did you read the last few posts? no offense but no one is taking your questions seriously anymore.

... its probably better that you stick that sucker at the speed limit.
+1 and +1
oh gosh LOL ... i'm sorry ... I'm not the type to post useless comments in threads like these, but this one is just too good hahahha

ac08odl, I think you might want to read up on the replies in your thread before posting, and please do drive safely

Quick Reply: 2008 tl peace of s h * t