2007 TL - Rattles and Mileage Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009 | 09:17 PM
Cruisin'

2007 TL - Rattles and Mileage Issues

I've had my 2007 TL in the shop numerous times trying to get rid of all the rattles and stabilize the gas mileage. By driving the car extremely conservatively and resetting the ECU every few fillups I'm finally able to get at or slightly above the rated city mileage, before it was varying to as low as 20% below rated mileage even when driving similar routes, styles, and driving conditions. I've had numerous dash and driver door rattles that keep coming back even though the car is driven conservatively and on fairly smooth concrete roads.

I talked to mechanics at two Acura dealerships in the Dallas area who said the 2007 TL was the hardest of any Acura cars to permanently eliminate rattles. They couldn't explain it just that most of their normal tricks didn't work long term.

Today I talked to one of the sales managers at Goodson Acura and he claimed no other Acura customer has ever complained to Goodson Acura that their 2007 TL had issues with rattles or mileage not being fixed correctly.

If anyone on this forum has talked to any of the sales people at Goodson Acura regarding their 2007 TL having issues with rattles or mileage please post a response with any information you would like to share.
Old 03-18-2009 | 06:57 AM
Senior Moderator

what kind of rattles do you have? have you looked at the DIY fixes on this forum?
Old 03-18-2009 | 08:27 AM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

You should see if you can take one of their loaner base TLs out and see if you get the same gas mileage as your TL. And like ggesq said, theres plenty of fixes in the 3G garage for rattle fixes. I would tell you to search, but the search sucks these days on AZ, idk what they changed.
Old 03-18-2009 | 10:24 AM
G Force

I have my 07 TL-S rattle fixed, not all of them, but most of them.

You have to identify the source of the rattle and bring your TL to the dealers and narrow and show them where it is, then they'll fix it for you.

It takes lots of time, after adding K&P module, I've notice that the biggest reason is the plastic parts or whatever you call them, everywhere where it make contact to the metal, chassis, frame, however you wanna call it. they lack of some source of foam, to absord the rattle between metal and non-metal.

So, if you really wanna fix all rattle, you'll probably have to investigate the source.

For me, the most annoying was the COVER ASSY., INSTRUMENT DRIVER(LOWER) shown on the item #7 http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

there is a metal right behind it, and it wasn't click and secure, so, it was rattling then I've shown that to the dealer and they put a special fuzzy tape, I think somebody mentioned before about those that you can get it at Walmart. So, now the lower plastic doesn't rattle anymore.

Still, there are some others like the driver side door and driver side B pillar. I'll have them fix in time.
Old 03-18-2009 | 02:13 PM
Drifting

TL-S? Heavy foot? City or hwy driving?
Old 03-18-2009 | 02:29 PM
Intermediate

I'm with you man. I've had my 07 TLS back in for service 3 times for rattles in the last month. It's there as I type this! As someone said earlier, it's just a matter of trying to narrow down the source and the service dept. is quite willing to attempt the fix.
Old 03-18-2009 | 10:17 PM
Cruisin'

Go Gators! BSE in CS 78.

Numerous rattles in center console around nav unit and radio (most sound like plastic on plastic), a few from instrument cluster (one metallic, the other plastic on plastic), screen on top of center speaker. Driver's door near top from of window track (more of a squeaking sound), driver's side front pillar (metallic). Rear package shelf (sometimes due to road conditions, mostly when music has any bass), third brake light cover (also leaks light onto inside of rear glass).

One of the strangest rattles occurred last Christmas on the way to Florida. We were on one of the smoothest asphalt roads I've ever been on driving at 75 with the cruise on and without hitting or running over anything a rattle started near the top of the nav unit and a little behind it. Pressing down on the dash top in front of the speaker cover stopped it as long as we pressed but started again as soon as we stopped pressing. The rattle continued for almost 2 hours then went away and has never returned. While it was rattling we couldn't hear or feel anything different, nor when it stopped.

They have put a lot of foam around and between various things and sprayed their special anti-squeak spray but either the same rattles/squeaks are coming back or new ones in similar locations are appearing.

Gave them a CD to play and a volume setting that clearly demonstrated the rear package shelf and third brake light rattles even at fairly low volume settings. Went to pick up car and immediately duplicated in 5 seconds. Showed service manager and they immediately ordered new light cover and package shelf. New package shelf fixed rattle but they had to add quite a bit of foam to the light cover to stop the rattle and light leak. Never figured out what happened to make it start leaking light - looked like a design flaw - straight edge on cover trying to mate to a curved window, rubber gasket was also straight, not curved to match glass. We looked at a few other TLs and still can't figure out what changed to make mine start rattling.

Due to work and travel schedules I rarely have time to work on it myself so I usually leave it with them when I'm out of town on business. But, I do give them some of the suggestions I've found on this and other forums although I never hear back whether it helped the mechanics or not.

The most disappointing thing about this car is it has more rattles/squeaks in 2 years than my previous 1997 CL had and my wife's 1999 TL had combined. I took my CL in a total of 3 times in its entire history for rattles/squeaks. I've taken my 2007 in over a dozen times (usually in conjunction for routine service, oil changes, other issues).