2007 Acura TL Type S Battery Draining problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 12:37 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Acura TL Type S Battery Draining problem

Moved Post
Hi Everyone,

I bought my 2007 TL Type S used about 2 months ago now, after about 2 weeks I noticed the battery would be dead or almost dead after not driving for 2-3 days. I'm pretty good with cars and Acura's in general so I checked the little things out like this:

Battery holds a charge fine
Alternator seems to be fine
No lights on in the car that I've seen

After reading a few forms on here I also saw something about he bluetooth not working and I actually did notice that mine always said " booting up " so I disconnected the unit last Monday and my car still kinda struggles to start when I turn the key.

This happened yesterday, I drove about 20KM and stopped for gas you would figure the car battery would be fully charged but it still kinda struggled to start which I found kinda odd.

I can't seem to pinpoint what the problem and I 'm reaching out to my fellow TL owners for help on this matter.

Thanks everyone Daniel
Old 10-13-2015, 01:03 PM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
The battery will never fully charge with a 20km ride, not even close, unless you raced your car the entire way. To charge a battery from almost empty to full, it would take a good 12 hours at 2a 12v. Using a slow charging makes sure you don't overwork the cells or create gas bubbles in the battery. When driving normally, the alternator produces enough power to supply the car and depending on time of day and accessories used (headlights on, music playing, defrost on) it might charge the battery, or not at all. Generally speaking, it would take a 30-40 minute drive at between 3500-4500rpm to fully charge the battery (if nothing else is on). So your 20K drive at between 1500 and 2000 rpm gave the battery just enough juice to start up the car 2 or 3 times. I strongly suggest you to buy a charger, they run for about 30$ and can be life saving. Plus, the proper way to charge is always slow and steady
Old 10-13-2015, 01:03 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
you didnt like the answers in the other thread?
Old 10-13-2015, 01:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,710 Likes on 6,717 Posts
You can't just 'move' a post like that OP.. You effectively just made two posts in two different places

Refer to your Original post for advice.

/thread
Old 10-13-2015, 01:06 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
1st reply was made at 12:15pm

Originally Posted by SgtSir440
Alternators are not really designed to fully charge a dead or very low battery. Their whole purpose is really to just maintain the battery while the car is running. They are capable of fulling charging the battery, but it takes a lot longer than a 20km trip.

It sounds like the bluetooth was the issue, so try giving the battery a good charge with a real battery charger and go from there.

Edit: If you have already tried the battery charger, then see if you can get advance auto or autozone, etc. to load test your battery for free, or throw in a new battery to test. Sometimes a battery will appear to hold voltage fine, but as soon as a load is applied (the starter) it drops too far down to start the car.
Originally Posted by justnspace
recheck battery.
the HFL might have drained the battery so low that it might not be able to hold a charge.

or what he said above me! ^
Originally Posted by Daniel Fisher
I mean * draining not drying haha

anyways, thanks for the quick replays

Would anyone have any other ideas on what this might be or have heard of battery draining problems before
Originally Posted by thoiboi
battery drained from HFL. you said you had HFL problems.

Did you check your battery like every suggested..??? Seems pretty correlated to me
Originally Posted by Daniel Fisher
Battery was the first thing I checked then I moved down the list..

I haven't had it checked after I removed the HFL but days before I did remove it the cells were fine.
Originally Posted by SgtSir440
A lot can happen in days, so check it again.
Originally Posted by thoiboi
How did you "check" your battery?

you said the cells were fine.. you mean you checked the water levels...?
you created this thread at 12:37pm
Old 10-13-2015, 01:12 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only moved the post because I thought it should be posted here.. anyways thats not the point.

thanks I'll try slow charging it now