2006 TL Transmission is dead, Towing Called to dealers for monday!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2006 TL Transmission is dead, Towing Called to dealers for monday!

I tried searching the forum for similar posts, but cannot find anything

The Car 2006 TL with 40000 miles on it.

Transmission is completely shut! Car inoperable, actually stopped in the middle of a street, and I had to push it off to a side road. Happen quite suddenly too - Over 2 days or less No warnings no lights. Transmision died completely withing 10 mile trip to grandparents. When we first sterted noticing, the problem is when wife noticed that the TL did not have the 'usuall' power to go forward. We though maybe it was the CostCo Gas (premium) because this was the first time we got gas there. so I said we will go to the regular Shell or evil BP.

At any rate did anybody had any trasmisson problems with the 3rd gen TL? I feel like i lost complete trust in the car... (and so did wife who drives the car with 1 year old baby) ... since the car stopped inthe middle of the road. Engine working, heat working and all but it would not move forth or back... very very eerie feeling!!!

Will be towing the car to the dealers on monday morning 7am. Its under warranty, but did anybody had such repairs done to their almost new 2006 cars??? is seems unreal that the transmission fails in a car of this 'class'.

Does the dealer replace the trannsmission? i sort of feel uneasy about this 'procedure' because i had Tramsisson problems in 1999 Acura CL and .. transmisson was NEVER the same as the original ... So trying to avoid the same problem ... not quite near the LEMON laws, since this is the first time it happened, but do they give money back or extend warranty?

Thanks for any tips on how to talk to the dealer / service manager. I would not want them to give me the "runaround". But bottom line we are still shook up by the events of last night.

Thanks!

Marek
Old 01-16-2011, 10:56 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Just be thankful you're under warranty. There's no good way to answer this, just take it in and it'll be fixed under warranty. I wouldn't worry about a replacement transmission, as long as it's on Acura's dime.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rodneyc77
damn kid...

When you first turn on the car... does the tranny have a whinning belt type noise?
I Just posted a thread about a bad trasmission on 2006 TL with 40K miles. Trasmission is completely screwed up.

My wife drives the car w a baby so there is no speeding or abusing or aything like that ... (other poster mentioned that the trasmission slips out when the gas pedal is pressed)

From the two short drives that I did... it seems that the transmission begins to have "real problems" once the car is warmed up... than you can drive 0.5 mile and its shut again.... I know this because we almost made it to my parents house... than we finished the trip 1.5 hr later.

but i did notice the whinning noise when the car is first started.... what is this Belt noise? Did I do anything wrong? ... there were no Warning light or any codes being displayed. and the noise souned a lot like any other "Fan" in a cold Chicago weather that we had recently.

THanks for any tips.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Cruisin'

Just have been told that the Car is "out of warranty" by the dealer, it was not what i wanted to hear with a dead transmission. Claiming that the Bumper to bumper expired after 4 years or 50K whichever comes first. (bought the car on 7/01/2006 and it has 40250 miles on it) He named couple of components that would not be covered under warranty some solenoid and sensors, because its not covered under the drivetrain warranty????

I told him how is it not part of the "drivetrain" if the car won't move forth or back? Sond like drivetrain to me! ... but he said they will see once they take a look at the car....

Also said that if its the transmission than it I will get a remanufactured transmission, as they don't have any new ones? does that sound right to you guys???? He said they don't make transmissions for 3rd gen TL. ? weird.

He also mentioned that they dont see many transmissions "GO" on 2004 and up TL's ... so i told them they should not see ANY! I mean the car has 40K ... additionaly this is not what the Tow Truck driver said... he said he sees a lot of the TL's being towed, but he may not know its the previous generation that had the real problems.

Thanks for any tips on taking to the dealer!

-Marek

Another thing he said, if its
Old 01-17-2011, 08:36 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
ouchies. sorry to hear.

hope whatever your problems are that they are resolved quickly and least costly.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:45 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
it is true-they use refurbished transmissions. This goes for most car brands.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smadny
Just have been told that the Car is "out of warranty" by the dealer, it was not what i wanted to hear with a dead transmission. Claiming that the Bumper to bumper expired after 4 years or 50K whichever comes first. (bought the car on 7/01/2006 and it has 40250 miles on it) He named couple of components that would not be covered under warranty some solenoid and sensors, because its not covered under the drivetrain warranty????

I told him how is it not part of the "drivetrain" if the car won't move forth or back? Sond like drivetrain to me! ... but he said they will see once they take a look at the car....

Also said that if its the transmission than it I will get a remanufactured transmission, as they don't have any new ones? does that sound right to you guys???? He said they don't make transmissions for 3rd gen TL. ? weird.

He also mentioned that they dont see many transmissions "GO" on 2004 and up TL's ... so i told them they should not see ANY! I mean the car has 40K ... additionaly this is not what the Tow Truck driver said... he said he sees a lot of the TL's being towed, but he may not know its the previous generation that had the real problems.

Thanks for any tips on taking to the dealer!

-Marek

Another thing he said, if its
One thing I've learned as far as Acura transmission go is to never listen to the dealer. Its very rare to find a tech at the dealer that knows how to do anything more than remove the defective trans and replace with a reman. unit. Yes that is normal to hear that from the dealer about replacing the trans with a reman one. First thing I'd recommend after the trans is replaced is to get rid of the honda Z1 fluid and switch to redline D4 or the redline racing fluid. Also verify that the replacement trans has new 3rd and 4th pressure switches and the small filter in the trans is new. I'd also look into an aftermarket trans cooler. These cars need a trans cooler and thats all there is to it.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Intermediate

Marek,
Sorry to hear about your tranny problem. I have also the identical event with my Accord. It failed @ 70K but I still had the warranty which was about to expire @ 75K, so I got lucky.
It is common for the dealer to replace the transmission with a remanufactured one. Make sure they will give you a warranty on it. My Honda dealer gave me a warranty for 36K miles or 3 years, whichever comes first.
I was really puzzled to hear that they said that the car is out of warranty. Drivetrain warranty expires at 7 years or 70K miles, so I wonder what's up with that. What dealer is it at? McGrath perhaps?

Best of luck to you and keep us posted.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Should be covered under warranty:
2006 6 yr 70,000 miles on the drivetrain
2004/2005 4 year 50,000 miles.

Check your owner's manual