2006 Acura 6sp Pulls to right

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:35 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 Acura 6sp Pulls to right

My new TL 6sp with 3750 miles pulls to the right on acceleration - the faster you go the more it pulls even with mild acceleration it will pull into the adjacent lane in a couple of seconds.

It has been to 2 two different dealers in the Boston area the first Acura of Boston said everything is within specification and swapped the front tires left to right. The behavior remained unchanged

The second dealer Acura of Peabody adjusted the alignment and set the toe in to 0 it seemed to help some but it still pulls to the right on acceleration. According to both dealers torque steer even at mild acceleration is normal - is it ?

I am dissapointed that I am having these issues - does any one have any ideas ?
Old 01-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Car shouldn't pull or wander, period...

Originally Posted by NX64000
My new TL 6sp with 3750 miles pulls to the right on acceleration - the faster you go the more it pulls even with mild acceleration it will pull into the adjacent lane in a couple of seconds...
According to both dealers torque steer even at mild acceleration is normal - is it ?
Some torque steer may be "normal" under hard acceleration, but pulling to any side consistently is NOT normal.
Pulling could be caused by anything tire or suspension related; analysis starts with proper cold tire pressures, then visual inspection of tires and rims, check of alignment and inspection of suspension and steering components to determine if they are damaged. There are some other threads here in the Tires section for the myriad of problems which cause pulling.
Regardless, the car should track straight under mild acceleration or coasting with your hands off the wheel for at least 100 meters or 300 feet or so. Otherwise, bring the car back to the dealer and don't take it back until it is fixed properly.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:55 PM
7th Gear

2006 Acura 6sp Pulls to right

Well I had the car aligned again - this time they pulled the toe in on both sides to be at 0 it seemed to help

I also swapped tires around - it is definately a tire problem - the turenza 42EL is not a great tire -
The other attribute that bugs me is the squirrely behavior (torque steer) under acceleration - does anyone understand why 6sp TL's are so bad in this regard --the automatics seem to be better-- I dont expect the dealer or Acura to fix it but I would like to understand the design tradeoffs that were made
Old 04-15-2007, 10:17 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

260 hp + FWD = Torque steer.
It's more noticable in the mt because the gears are lower than the AT, so there's more torque at the wheels. That's the tradeoff for better mt acceleration. The mts have a limited slip differential to help with torque steer when exiting a corner under power, too.
For FWD vs RWD, all else being the same, RWD cars generally handle better, but are heavier, with less room in the cabin and worse snow and ice performance.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by NX64000
I also swapped tires around - it is definately a tire problem - the turenza 42EL is not a great tire -
The other attribute that bugs me is the squirrely behavior (torque steer) under acceleration - does anyone understand why 6sp TL's are so bad in this regard --the automatics seem to be better...
If it's a tire causing a pull, the dealer should replace the offending tire. A defective tire pulls to one side when a bubble forms or the internals start separating. The Turanza EL-42s have a horrible reputation; a search here will disclose lots of complaints (noise and traction issues, flat spotting, excessive wear, etc.) In late 2004 or 2005, Acura had a TSB which permitted dealers to replace the original EL-42s with supposedly reformulated EL-42s. The TSB can be found in the 3G garage.
The 2006 6M supposedly has less torque steer than all the '04-'05 TLs due to adjustment of ECU parameters and the limited slip. See if you can wangle a drive in a '04 or '05 6M TL to compare to yours; it's probably slipping EL-42s contributing to the torque steer. Michelin MXMs came on the Navi cars; there are comparatively few complaints about those tires.
G/L!
Old 04-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
the EL-42s are horrible...
Old 04-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Advanced

I have an 07 TL-S and mine is pulling to the right. I've got 5500 miles now but I took it in at 3000 or so miles to have them correct the problem. The first time I took it to a dealer near my house and spend my entire day and it wasn't fixed. Then, I decided to take it back to the dealer where I purchased my car from and it wasn't fix on the first visit. The worst part is that they damage my front left wheel. Then I took it back and drop it off and took a loaner car for 4days and they finally fixed it and gave me a brand new wheel. So it made me feel a little better driving the car but nevertheless, the car doesn't feel like perfect for some reason.

So this weekend I took my car in for an oil change and got my tires rotated at Goodyear and guess what, my car pulls to the right again!!! Man, thats not good.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:04 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Originally Posted by InfernoAffairs
I have an 07 TL-S and mine is pulling to the right. I've got 5500 miles now but I took it in at 3000 or so miles to have them correct the problem. The first time I took it to a dealer near my house and spend my entire day and it wasn't fixed. Then, I decided to take it back to the dealer where I purchased my car from and it wasn't fix on the first visit. The worst part is that they damage my front left wheel. Then I took it back and drop it off and took a loaner car for 4days and they finally fixed it and gave me a brand new wheel. So it made me feel a little better driving the car but nevertheless, the car doesn't feel like perfect for some reason.

So this weekend I took my car in for an oil change and got my tires rotated at Goodyear and guess what, my car pulls to the right again!!! Man, thats not good.
So it must be a bad tire. Have the dealer replace the offending doughnut.