2005 Acura TL Won't Start ... Rapid Clicking ... Viper Alarm???

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Acura TL Won't Start ... Rapid Clicking ... Viper Alarm???

Last night I tried to remote start my car with the Viper remote (5902 I believe) and the car just made a rapid clicking noise. It's almost the same sound as when you have a loose battery cable but unfortunately thats not the case (I cleaned the terminals and still the same). I got into the car and used the key and it started up; however, I noticed a lot of lights were staying lit on the dash that normally dont.

The ABS, Brake, VSA, and a triangle. I shut the car off, restarted it, and the lights went out.

This morning I experienced the same issue. The car wouldn't remote start. I get into the car but the key doesn't work either. I arm the alarm, disarm it, try it again and it starts. I'm wondering what's going on so I shut it off and try again. The same thing happens except this time it takes a few more alarm cycles before it starts. This get's me thinking it might be alarm related.

Later this evening, I cannot get the car to start no matter how many times I cycle the alarm. I think perhaps it's the starter so I tap on it with a hammer while my brother turns it over and after a minute it starts. I drive home from Thanksgiving dinner and shut it off. I immediately try to start it back up and more clicking.

The hammer doesn't seem to work again so I investigate under the dash. I hear a relay activate when I turn the key to ON and it also makes rapid clicking noises when trying to turn it over and it doesn't start. I'm wondering if perhaps this relay is bad but unfortunately I can't seem to locate it. It seems that it's on the backside of the fuse panel. I tap on the viper brain lightly, wiggle wires, move the steering column, etc. all while turning the key to start and all I get is the clicking (from the relay inside and outside at the starter).

Eventually I get it to start and the lights are on the dash again. I shut it off and without re-arming the alarm, I continue to try to start the car. The car keeps starting over and over and over again without problem. I notice that when I turn the key to ON and leave it, after 10 seconds or so, the engine light flashes 5 times and then goes out. I'll have to check to see what that means. Also, after I pulled the battery cables to clean them, I lost the auto window roll down/up but after the car finally started again that came back (not sure if that's important so giving all the details possible).

I can't imagine this is a starter issue. It sure seems more electrical to me. I'm not sure if the relay by the fusel panel is messed up, one under the hood, a relay in the Viper brain box, perhaps the 2 wires that connect it to the (CAN) computer are having issues (perhaps why the lights are staying on the dash when it initially starts after not starting?), etc.

I'm surely confused by all this but need to figure this one out so I'm not stranded somewhere.

Any ideas?

Mods ... feel free to move if this is better suited in a different part of the forums.

Last edited by bugsysiegals; 11-22-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
If you're sure the battery terminals are clean and secure, I'd get the battery tested.

Will it start normally if you jump it?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The battery was replaced last year. The lights do not go dim even with headlights on. It also does the same thing with jumper cables connected so it's definitely not the battery.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Race Director

Sounding like the starter then.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:17 AM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
sounds like a starter or one of the cables.

Someone here on the forum said they could be corroded inside, so a visual inspection or clean terminals doesn't necessarily rule that out.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had the same issue with my Altima last week. It was the alternator and it took out the brand new 84 month battery I had put in a year ago. All four struts were gone as well. I traded it in for a 2012 Acura TL. Now, if this happened to my Acura, it would be worth getting fixed. The alternator alone was priced at $670. All repairs were $1700. Have someone try to jump start it, if it starts, it's the alternator not the starter. Your car is too new for the starter to go out. Let us know the verdict.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by bugsysiegals
The battery was replaced last year. The lights do not go dim even with headlights on. It also does the same thing with jumper cables connected so it's definitely not the battery.
Originally Posted by AnyaBoo
.... Have someone try to jump start it, if it starts, it's the alternator not the starter. Your car is too new for the starter to go out. Let us know the verdict.
He's already tried that. And we've seen plenty of failed starters on 04-05 TLs, unfortunately....
Old 11-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
He's already tried that. And we've seen plenty of failed starters on 04-05 TLs, unfortunately....
Bummer! That sucks! What is the price to get a new starter in?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yo Bugs the same situation happen to me today. I have a Viper 5901 remote starter. It worked perfectly fine this morning, but when I shut it off at the bank, it wouldn't crank over. I disconnected the battery terminals and let it sit for 5 min or so, then reconnected them and it started right up. It happen to me again on my other errand, and same process worked. But on my last errand, that method didnt work. I had to get a pole and bang on the starter and then she started. I believe the remote starters are a quicker way of killing the starter. I only had my Viper 2 years now, then again it's a 7 y.o. Car.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:39 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hondapartsunlimited.com has it for $200
Old 11-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Race Director

We've been seeing a fair amount of 2004/2005 starters failing. I have a 2004 (9 years, 130K miles) and my Viper has been installed for 3 years now. No starter issues and the Viper has been used extensively during the long winters. It's not the remote starter, the starters are just getting old....