2004 Acura TL DIY 06 Honda Accord Transmission Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 06:33 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 Acura TL DIY 06 Honda Accord Transmission Replacement

Hi, every just to start off my first post here my name is Taylor im 19 and enrolled at a Community Technical College for my associate degree in Automotive. My school has provided me with Shopkey so I do have the removal and installation instructions on the transmission on my 04 Acura TL. Like in my title I first came about to changing my transmission because I purchased the car with no issues. No blinking D light, bad shifting, nothing. Now that was at 139K roughly one year ago. Now im at roughy 176k and im having issues with my Acura TL shifting roughly plus about 30 seconds delay to shift from drive to reverse. I think I should also add its sometimes like a bang...like boom...the only way it doesn't happen is if I stuff the brake to the floor while in park then shift into reverse. So, having these issues I admittedly ran to these forums. I ran into ALOT saying try to replace the shift sensors for 3rd and 4th. Well I did it. I seen alot also say change the fluid. Did that too. Now it being my daily I have noticed a reduce in pick up and to sum it up its like driving a manual which instead of you controlling the shifts the car controls them. When it comes to slowing down its sometimes likes to down shift and up shifting it shifts good for short rides but leads to delay in shifts and so on. After seeing these issues come about after trying to fix the issue im gonna say its safe to say its the transmission. I mean I even asked my instructor he owns a Acura and said he ran into the same issue. I ran to these forums once again trying to solve my issue. Found the 06 Honda Accord transmission was a cheaper alternative that SHOULD fit right in with the replacement of the range sensor or the gear positioning sensor if im not mistaken. I have ordered the trans of the 2006 Honda Accord 3.0L nonhyird. Should be here within a couple days. My question to everyone is whats your guys opinion? Am I doing the right thing for swapping the trans knowing the issues at hand? Is the 06 accord trans gonna fit for sure? Shopkey calls for me to disassemble the drive shaft assembly and I dont think I have the tools to take the boot off so do I have to actually take that off? Shopkey also calls for a "special tool" for the sub frame but doesn't include the use or function of the tool. Is it needed? Shopkey also calls for the removal of the shifting joint inside the car. Needed? Any comments or anything is appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...n-swap-905115/

You'll be fine.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:45 PM
10th Gear

I had a similar problem. When I shifted from park to reverse, it would make a loud obnoxious "bang" that obviously did not sound good. Checked up my motor mounts and sure enough, they were busted. Got them swapped out and now it runs brand new. Take a look around there before you invest in the transmission.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:53 AM
7th Gear

Which motor mount went bad for you exactly? Theres about 7 different ones from what I see including the trans mounts
Old 11-24-2018, 02:05 PM
10th Gear

The engine mount on the passenger side went bad. But it's good to have em all checked out.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:19 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm getting quotes right now for an 06-07 Accord transmission to replace the dead one in my son's 2006 TL.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:09 PM
7th Gear

Headache 🤕🤕

So I got the trans and subframe partially to the floor but the engine wants to stay up right also same with the rest of the subframe underneath the engine. All mounts are unscrewed. Disconnected. All bolts holding the trans and motor together. The wiring harnes on top of the trans near the intake. I didn’t take any off the motor thinking my jack under the oil pan would hold it but it didn’t do the best job and resulted in breaking off a couple sensors on the back end of the motor. I’ve currently had to resort to a engine hoist. Now I gotta figure out how to lift the engine with it🙄

The hoist I went with. 50$ pump works. Has chain with the hook at the end I just don’t know where to hook it to bring the engine up right...🙃 figured there were hooks on the motor but I can’t find any🤔
Old 12-05-2018, 09:12 PM
7th Gear

Headache 🤕

Any ideas on the engine removal? Should I resort to bringing it completely out of the car and fix the sensors then install back in or should I attach this hoist somehow bring it back to where it’s placed normally in the engine bay and work on it there? Will the engine separate from the subframe and allow the subframe to come down with the trans?
Old 12-06-2018, 08:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
Youre best and easiest solution is to drop the engine on the subframe.
IF youre determined to take it out from the top, ( its a pain but do-able ) remove the oil filter housing, AC compressor ( just disconnect it from the motor and swing out to the side ) Pull the radiator so you dont accidentally hit it and the power steering pump.

There's a video on youtube by ERICTHECARGUY who actually removes a 3rd gen TL engine from the top.
Thats what I followed when I helped a friend swap his motor.

I have youtube blocked at work ( but not Acurazine lol ) so I cant post the link to it right now.

Theres a hook right around the power steering pump. You can use a heavy duty strap instead and wrap one around that hook and the other right below the throttle body area where the coolant temperature sensor is.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:47 AM
7th Gear

headache 🤕

i had some time to look at the Eric the car guy YouTube video on how to remove the engine. I think to save me some time removing it completely would be vary time consuming. I didn’t know there was bolts that were from the cradle into the engine and trans. I seen Eric the car guy remove 4 of them I believe between little circles in the candle. Will I be able to drop the candle by it’s self? Then be able to wiggle the trans free while holding the motor at the normal height or higher with the engine hoist does anyone know? 🤔
Old 12-09-2018, 11:50 AM
7th Gear

Headache 🤕

I seen you can remove it by taking out the engine and trans below the car but unfortunately I don’t have a lift and I don’t think I’ll be able to bring the car high enough to bring the trans and motor out for swapping. I might be able to do repairs on the sensors that I broke off behind the motor if I drop it below the car but I’m not to sure about removing the trans below...