2004 Acura 3.2TL won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:59 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Acura 3.2TL won't start

Does anyone know what EXACTLY I would need to replace for the 105K mile service? I am at 110K. I turned it of last Tuesday and didn't use it on Wednesday. Thursday afternoon i went to turn it on and it sort of turned on but within seconds it turned off. Now it won't turn on at all. When i tried to turn it on again it made a noise. Sort of when the car is already on and you think its off and you "try" to turn it on again, that noise it makes, well it's making that noise. I've had two people tell me it might be the timing belt BUT they are not positive. So i would like to do the whole service and take it from there.

Any input would be appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by jenze
Does anyone know what EXACTLY I would need to replace for the 105K mile service? I am at 110K. I turned it of last Tuesday and didn't use it on Wednesday. Thursday afternoon i went to turn it on and it sort of turned on but within seconds it turned off. Now it won't turn on at all. When i tried to turn it on again it made a noise. Sort of when the car is already on and you think its off and you "try" to turn it on again, that noise it makes, well it's making that noise. I've had two people tell me it might be the timing belt BUT they are not positive. So i would like to do the whole service and take it from there.

Thanks!!
What exactly does "sort of turned on" mean? Can you be more descriptive?

It's hard to know based on that paragraph, but I really doubt it's the TB. Probably a bad starter, bad starter solenoid or bad/low battery.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:06 PM
9th Gear

It turned on but turned off within seconds. By "sort of turned on" i meant it seemed like it didn't want to start.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
It turned on but turned off within seconds. By "sort of turned on" i meant it seemed like it didn't want to start.
Put the car in Neutral (key already in ignition) and try to start the car. Do you get a clicking noise? Grinding noise? No noise?

If clicking, your battery is dead.
If grinding, probably your starter teeth are ground down and can't turn the engine.
If no noise, starter failure

If the car tries to start again but can't, then you have an issue with either fuel or the spark plugs.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts

Thanks!!

You know this noise by experience? More than likely your starter or battery. Get both checked out. Timing belt would be on the bottom of the list for reasonable culprits.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:48 AM
9th Gear

I got the car started. I changed the spark plugs but it wouldn't turn on. I had to leave the gas pedal all the way down while turning the engine. that was this morning. Turns on normal now.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Pushing in the gas pedal doesn't do anything on the TL. The TL doesn't have a carburetor, it's FI.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Like Majofo said..unless the something wrong with the throttle body where it doesn't open at all...relay, app etc

Aside from that...your symptoms could be indicating the starter solenoid going bad..
Sometimes it won't completely go all at once...If that's the case, you will experience what you already did, again.

Included with your description, you should note whether the engine turns/cranks normally when it does, so we can determine whether it's your battery. How do the cluster lights behave when you turn the key, do they flicker, or just dim? It could be an simple oxidation terminals on the battery, oxidized ground.
"car doesn't start" could have a lot of reasons behind it.

Clicking sound when you turn the key could be the solenoid.
Not too long ago, my friend's car experienced this...sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldn't. It would either start, or click. It turned out the solenoid was going bad, until one day, it stopped altogether and it would only click.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
hey guys, i had the same problem for a while where after a few tries then the car would turn over and start. but today it never started, so I'm guessing its gone for good now. if the solenoid is bad do i buy a new starter or is the solenoid something separate. i have to take the car to the dealer, but i figure its best for me to buy the starter online and then just have the dealer replace because i know for sure they will rape me for a new starter. so should i go a head and buy a new starter?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
took the car to the dealer today and they said my starter is shot. $400+ for RMD starter and labor......