100k Recommended Service - Definitive List

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 01:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
100k Recommended Service - Definitive List

Good day all!

I have an 08 TL Base AT and have been saving up my pennies to get some work done. I have over-saturated myself with all of the wonderful info contained in the 3G forums, but I am still at a loss as to the actual list of things to be done at 100k/10 years. I know it's not the official Acura list, but I would take the advice from here over the official company line any day. I'm 42 miles away from 100k, so I thought it would be a good time to start going through the list of items.
I bought the car last year with around 92k on it already, and no paperwork showing what, if anything, had been done.

I've already replaced the spark plugs with the NGK Iridium's.
The components of AISIN TKH002 need to be replaced AISIN Water Pump, Hydraulic Tensioner, Koyo Idler Bearing, Koyo Tensioner Bearing, Mitsuboshi Timing Belt, Water Pump Gaskets & O-Rings).
What else do you normally have done? I believe all of the fluids were replaced as they all looked new, but there's no guarantee of that.

Would you trust this type of work to a local, reputable mechanic? I'm sure it's nothing exotic as far as services go, but I'm hoping to keep the car for several years, and want to have things done right.

Thank you all for your input, and if there is already a definitive list out there, please feel free to admonish me and point me in the right direction.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:19 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,410 Posts
Quick answer, there are exactly zero recommended services due at the 100,000 ,mile mark.

The above said, at the 105,000 mile mark your car will be due for the following:
  • Spark Plugs
  • Oil Change
  • Oil Filter Change
  • Timing Belt and Tensioner
  • New Coolant
  • Water Pump (optional but recommended)
  • Cam Seals (optional but recommended)
  • Front Crank Seal (optional but recommended)
  • Serpentine Belt and Tensioner (optional but recommended)

Other maintenance items I'd seriously consider:
  • Automatic Transmission Fluid 3x3 change (Honda DW-1)
  • Manual Transmission Fluid change (2.3 quarts of ACDelco Synchromesh Friction Modified)
  • Brake Fluid Flush
  • Air Filters (both engine and cabin)
The following users liked this post:
Buggernuts (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 04:19 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Nothing is due at 105K either. It's all MID based....
Old 01-13-2019, 04:53 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Nothing is due at 105K either. It's all MID based....
Technically true and false at the same time. The MID is miles based, so the 105,000 mile limit still applies.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent information. Thank you! I know it's not Acura-recommended, but since the people here are currently driving them, their the best source for information in my opinion. Since I don't have any previous owner records, I just want to guard against something preventable from going bad. I don't think the MID can tell me when the timing belt is going to go, unless I'm underestimating the capabilities of the TL.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:02 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Buggernuts
Excellent information. Thank you! I know it's not Acura-recommended, but since the people here are currently driving them, their the best source for information in my opinion. Since I don't have any previous owner records, I just want to guard against something preventable from going bad. I don't think the MID can tell me when the timing belt is going to go, unless I'm underestimating the capabilities of the TL.
Don't over think it; the timing belt and associated parts are good for a bare minimum of 105,000 miles. Just follow the recommendations in the Owner's Manual and you'll be good to go.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:03 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Quick story,

Bought mine at 103K. Waited until MID to throw service due soon for oil change at 105K. Watched it throw code A, I expected B4, but it threw A.

B4 means you had money B4 this service was due.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:42 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by Buggernuts
The tensioner will likely go long before the belt wears out, or put in another way, the belt will go when the tensioner does