'08 Type-S (Timing belt and whitish oil cap)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 08:09 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 Type-S (Timing belt and whitish oil cap)

Hi everyone,

Just bought an 08 Manual Type-S from a dealer, it was a trade in. I have another thread up regarding the manual trans. This thread is in regards to two questions I had about the engine.

Question 1:

The car has 104K on it, I know the timing belt needs to be replaced at 105K. The dealer mechanic thinks it was replaced, he determined this by looking at the outer belt and pulleys which were new and seemed like they were recently replaced. He never took everything apart to look at the actual timing belt as its a pain in the ass.

Do you all think new pulleys and belts is sufficient enough to deem the timing belt replaced? Or should I not risk it and still get it replaced?

Question 2:

So this freaked me out. When I opened the oil cap and looked underneath there was a little layer of milky build up which is from condensation. Dealer mechanic said its normal. The engine had older regular oil (Not synthetic) in it since it was just traded in. I drove the car for a bit checked again and the milky build up was gone. So I haven't thought to much about it.

I heard that this is normal and that condensation can build up in the Cams causing this. Also could be from the old regular oil, or the fact that the day before was 10 degrees and the day I saw it rose to 45 degrees. Should I still be concerned or is it normal?

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this. I would appreciate any advise or thoughts.

Here are two pics of the Type-S I bought:

Old 02-20-2016, 09:26 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Check here for the inspection procedure (which looks pretty easy):

https://acurazine.com/forums/attachm...t-inspectl.pdf

If the belt looks as new (meaning you can see the writing on the belt from the factory and it appears and feels as new), then I wouldn't worry. The only way to know for sure if the belt was changed would be to have a record of the procedure done or get it done yourself, then you're at time zero on the new belt (and you would have peace of mind knowing you had it done). For a mechanic to say it was done based on a new serpentine belt is just a half assed way of doing things.

As for the white stuff in the cap that's no longer there, I likely wouldn't get too worried about it unless the car's oil looked milky brown as well (then there would be an indication of oil mixing with the coolant indicating head gasket failure). Blowing white smoke (a decent amount of it) is usually a sign of a leaking head gasket as well.

If the file specified doesn't open for you, go here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ection-858926/

Go about 1/2 way down the page and in one of the responses is the PDF for the TB inspection.

Last edited by erdoc48; 02-20-2016 at 09:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
alexpapas90 (02-28-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 10:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by erdoc48

If the belt looks as new (meaning you can see the writing on the belt from the factory and it appears and feels as new), then I wouldn't worry. The only way to know for sure if the belt was changed would be to have a record of the procedure done or get it done yourself, then you're at time zero on the new belt (and you would have peace of mind knowing you had it done). For a mechanic to say it was done based on a new serpentine belt is just a half assed way of doing things.

As for the white stuff in the cap that's no longer there, I likely wouldn't get too worried about it unless the car's oil looked milky brown as well (then there would be an indication of oil mixing with the coolant indicating head gasket failure). Blowing white smoke (a decent amount of it) is usually a sign of a leaking head gasket as well.

Go about 1/2 way down the page and in one of the responses is the PDF for the TB inspection.

Thank you so much for the quick reply! The link worked and I am going to take a look at the belt, I didn't realize you can take that piece off and see the timing belt.

Also, I'm glad to hear that the whitish milky stuff on the oil cap is not a big deal. I pushed the shit out the car for 20min and I checked the oil and it looked fine.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
The white milky stuff under the cap forms there like you say from condensation. Usually occurs if cold outside and the car was started a few times for short duration. Should burn off after a good drive.
Nice 6MT type-s. Good luck with it!
Old 02-21-2016, 09:27 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MarcDavidoff
The white milky stuff under the cap forms there like you say from condensation. Usually occurs if cold outside and the car was started a few times for short duration. Should burn off after a good drive.
Nice 6MT type-s. Good luck with it!
Thanks for the confirmation Marc. Yeah the mechanic drove it around for a few min several hours before I looked at it. And it was 10 degrees out the day before so it makes sense.

But, I've been looking for this car for the past 6 months, finally found her! I also have a 1999 Acura TL. Has around 170K on it, second trans, but runs like a beast still with full synthetic.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
I also have a 2nd gen TL- an 02 TLS with almost 200k and just had an AV6 accord trans installed. Runs better than ever
The following users liked this post:
alexpapas90 (02-28-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 06:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MarcDavidoff
I also have a 2nd gen TL- an 02 TLS with almost 200k and just had an AV6 accord trans installed. Runs better than ever
So I put full synthetic in it and I haven't seen any milky white color under the oil cap after driving it a few days. So I think I'm good to go.

Last edited by alexpapas90; 02-28-2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by erdoc48

I pulled the timing belt cover off at the top and the timing belt looked used, kind of shiny. Would you trust the Dayco timing belt water pump kit? Or should I go for OEM from ebay?
Old 02-28-2016, 06:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
go with OEM kit or OEM vendor.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by truonghthe
go with OEM kit or OEM vendor.
Any cheaper good Honda/Acuea OEM websites?
Old 02-28-2016, 06:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
I have an extra new timing belt if you want it for cheaper. Just send me a PM