'08 TL whining??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'08 TL whining??

I have an 08 TL that just went out of its main warranty and now has 50,300 miles. In the morning I hear a high pitch whine that started this week that sounded like a bad stereo ground; however, I have a stock stereo and bone stock car for that matter. I see a bunch or posts on the p/s o-ring fix but cannot locate info if that includes my 08 as most of the cars that have success with the o-ring change seem to be the 04&05's. The whine correlates with engine speed. When I turned the steering wheel it didn'd seem to effect it as far as I could hear.

Yesterday in traffic something catches my eye and it is the airbag light on the dashboard, red, guy sitting wiht big cans in his face warning light. I unbuckled the seatbelt a few times and nothing. When I got to a light I shut the car off and restarted and the light has not been on since.

This morning I am driving in and the tighten gas cap message comes on. I got gas on monday and am confident the cap is on because I am ocd and always get a few clicks out of it as a result.

Any idea's on wear I should start? The engine noise is the most troubling and annoying out of the three. Not sure if the car is holding a code on the idiot light now that it is out. My first guess on that one is the seat belt receptacle that has a sensor in it that can screw with the SRS light. It has a 15yr 150mile warranty on seatbelts but I am dreading dealing with stealership as I am sure they will try to insert a scan fee where the sun doesn't shine if there are no codes for them to book time against warranty.

I see another post searching around a guy's alternator was failing giving his idiot lights fits but have been good since alternator replacement. I can swap parts like any other monkey, trying to figure out how I can diagnose then change part if need be. Looking for anyone that has had similar experiences that can chime in. I will be posting solutions as I get this nailed down as the car is paid for and I do not intend on getting rid of it for a few issues at this time.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Instructor

I verified its not the power steering pump; assume that leaves the alternator or tensioner?
Old 10-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Instructor

Spoke to Acura customer service and then my dealer. Explained to them what is going on and going to have to pay $100 diagnostic fee minimum for the dealer to look at the car and then they will communicate with Acura on my behalf to try and get a good faith coverage since all this happened about 200 miles over the warranty. The car is kept serviced and immaculate so hopefully that and the fact I own 2 acuras and an S2000, i.e. a loyal customer will get this taken care of.

The sound is best described as a buzzing and is audible only under load while driving. I do not hear it while reving at idle. I put a screwdriver to my ear and the p/s pump and alternator last night, p/s pump is smooth, alternator has some noise to it but I didn't have anyone around to rev the motor while I listened to see if it matches the sound I hear while driving. I will listen to my mdx alternator tonight for a reference to see if similar resonance. I hope it is the alternator that is jerking around with my sensors and not some other mechanical item that means I would have 2 intermittant sensor idiot lights lurking for repair down the road yet as well.

Car goes in Monday night so they can drive it cold Tuesday morning first thing, that is when the sound is most audible. Hope they don't come back to me saying it is normal noise or "we cannot hear what you are" This dealer has been great so far, had the mdx in last week and it got new tensioners and a belt. Was a pain free warranty fix with a loaner. Stressful to deal with dealers and fact I am basically gambling a minimum $100 for them to look at it.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Instructor

Ended up being the serpentine belt tensioner making the buzz noise, the dealer replaced the tensioner assembly and the belt.

Rear strut replaced as well as end link.

Still get occasional "tighten gas cap" message even though the cap is fine. Dealer scanned the car and said there were no codes, shocking right? The SRS light has thankfully not come back on since the one instance.

The car is now mine since over the 50k mile mark. Future problems I get to troubleshoot and repair.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thank you for keeping us posted. Nice to know what the resolution was on some of the problems that get posted on there. Helps other owners diagnose issues that they may have at some time with their car.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Instructor

Great Acura quality, cold start new noise that goes away when the car is driven and warms up. Have an intermittant chirping/squealing noise now on start up in the morning, car sounds like a beater instead of a refined Honda. Had the tensioner and serpentine belt changed a few months back at the dealer, not sure what is making the noise now but I will have to figure out as the car is no longer under bumper to bumper warranty. Pretty awesome, not happy with this car at the moment. A lot of squeaks and rattles developing where as my old accord seemed to be built like a tank.

I will post up what I can find. Lexus still looking good but fortunately I can do a lot of repairs instead of taking on a car payment, the TL is paid in full.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Red89gt
Great Acura quality, cold start new noise that goes away when the car is driven and warms up. Have an intermittant chirping/squealing noise now on start up in the morning, car sounds like a beater instead of a refined Honda. Had the tensioner and serpentine belt changed a few months back at the dealer, not sure what is making the noise now but I will have to figure out as the car is no longer under bumper to bumper warranty. Pretty awesome, not happy with this car at the moment. A lot of squeaks and rattles developing where as my old accord seemed to be built like a tank.

I will post up what I can find. Lexus still looking good but fortunately I can do a lot of repairs instead of taking on a car payment, the TL is paid in full.
I was just the serp belt acura provided on the warranty work. Put a gates belt on and been quiet since.

I have to buy a evap purge valve now since the tighten gas cap message is constant for the last few days. Wish it went when the car was still under warranty, looks like it will cost me $100 for the part with shipping.