'08 TL-S Brembo Brake clunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '08 TL-S Brembo Brake clunk

Hello all. Unfortunately I have run into a dead end. Approx. 2,000 miles ago (now at 49,500) I started to hear a metal to metal clunk/ smack coming from the front end of my 08 auto TL-S. Took it to the dealer, who stated the noise was pin pointed to be the metal retaining clips (on top of the pads) not properly holding the pads tightly in place. So they greased them (why- I don't know but thought I would let them try it.) I left the dealer that afternoon, and the problem was obviously still there. I returned the car to the dealer a week later to re-inspect, same diagnosis, same treatment, but with a response of "there is nothing else we can do, the clips are not covered under warranty."

So after finding the clips to be $12 each ($24 total) plus 1/2 hr. labor, I was going to replace them. Technician then recommended I contact Acura directly, with a position of "why should you pay for this." Great, that was my next move. Well two weeks later, I received the final call from Acura Services saying the "brakes are functioning properly and the clunk is a normal condition for the Brembo brakes." Sorry- but your $40K car is going to clunk when you hit a bump...

The conversation went downhill from there as I requested an Acura Rep. to be available for a test drive, as obviously this sound has developed and is not normal (never happened before now.) I questioned if other TL-S cars have had this problem, no response. I asked them how they can be sure this is the problem and received a response of "we speculate this to be the problem... and are not sure that replacing the clips will resolve the issue." WOW, speculate!?!

Ok, enough rant. So, has anyone else out there had this issue with their car? I am so dissapointed in the "to bad, live with it response" that I am not sure where to go from here. Considering paying for replacement of the clips to prove that 1. this is the problem, defective clips or 2. this is not the problem, fix the freakin car... Never thought Acura would shrug off such a minimal cost issue, in lieu of satisfying the customer. I feel there is a defect and Acura is not backing their warranty! Please help.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:56 PM
AZ Track Whore

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts
It's not a defect at all and I don't get why your wasting all this time when you could just buy the retaining clips and find out in a fraction of the time of this whole rant if it was the problem or not. It's absolutely correct that they wouldn't be covered under a warranty, brakes should and always be a wear item (especially the brembos) so just accept it. Yeah the dealer is kinda pussy footing around a small service but they're doing it cause you're expecting more out of them then they are responsible for. If I were you I would buy both the pad pins and the retaining clips, grease them (yes they should be somewhat greased) and throw them in. If you can remove a wheel and use a little screwdriver to remove the pins its EASILY something a monkey could DIY. Yeah you bought a "$40k" car - so what? Normal maintenance/repairs comes with a car no matter the price of the car so join the club.

Yeah it sux - tough... Hope it fixes the problem though. I had a clicking from my brembos only to find out it was a seized piston and had to replace the caliper all together. Oh well, replaced it and never looked back...
Old 08-29-2011, 07:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 99 Posts
sorry to hear about your problem vortex

recently i have had my brembos powdercoated and got fresh rotors and pads. about a month after i had all that work done on my car i started having brake problems

dont want to get into details but it ended up being the front right brake dust "shield" was loose and would make noise/feel funny every time i braked

maybe you have the same problem as i do.. it did not cost much to fix but diagnosing it was a pain the ass
Old 08-29-2011, 07:59 PM
AZ Track Whore

could be but I'm POSITIVE the dealer woulda found that in about 1.6 seconds if it were the problem... worth checking though.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Yvuru
sorry to hear about your problem vortex

recently i have had my brembos powdercoated and got fresh rotors and pads. about a month after i had all that work done on my car i started having brake problems

dont want to get into details but it ended up being the front right brake dust "shield" was loose and would make noise/feel funny every time i braked

maybe you have the same problem as i do.. it did not cost much to fix but diagnosing it was a pain the ass
Thanks for the tip. I will check that too. I am totally capable of handling the brakes, but just was surprised. I typically change/ bleed my own brakes, so replacing the clips is simple. I was really searching for "is this normal..." Thanks agian
Old 08-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by vill0169
It's not a defect at all and I don't get why your wasting all this time when you could just buy the retaining clips and find out in a fraction of the time of this whole rant if it was the problem or not. It's absolutely correct that they wouldn't be covered under a warranty, brakes should and always be a wear item (especially the brembos) so just accept it. Yeah the dealer is kinda pussy footing around a small service but they're doing it cause you're expecting more out of them then they are responsible for. If I were you I would buy both the pad pins and the retaining clips, grease them (yes they should be somewhat greased) and throw them in. If you can remove a wheel and use a little screwdriver to remove the pins its EASILY something a monkey could DIY. Yeah you bought a "$40k" car - so what? Normal maintenance/repairs comes with a car no matter the price of the car so join the club.

Yeah it sux - tough... Hope it fixes the problem though. I had a clicking from my brembos only to find out it was a seized piston and had to replace the caliper all together. Oh well, replaced it and never looked back...
Man, sorry to piss ya off by my rant. I am just surprised by such a minimal service being such a major issue. Not looking for free pads, just make a clunk go away. Guess I expected more... I'll take the monkey approach and replace the clips.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:38 PM
AZ Track Whore

No I'm not pissed and I'm glad you're more mechanically inclined that 99% of this forum... I've always said once you buy the car, forget the dealer and never EVER go back. It's worked beautifully for me.

sometimes it just looks like many on this forum forget to check their enlodged silver spoon at the door......
Old 09-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Instructor

im having similar problems after changing my brakes I used the duralast gold ceramics....i decided to keep the oem clips so im going to try putting them back on hope it stops the loud clunking noise
Old 04-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Vortex
Did you fix the clunk from your Brembo ? I got the same problem with driver side clunk noice when over a bump .
Check and find out that pads move a bit ... remove pads and grease the 2 holding pins and the retaining clip but clunk is still there .
I could feel the pads movement and will knock on the bottom brembo caliber if over a bump .

Should I replace the pins or the retainer clip ? I feel that the 2 pins did not hold the pads
in place correctly .

What do you think ?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Rockauto.com has a set of replacement pins and clips for $14 + shipping.

CARLSON Part # 13536

Wouldn't cost much to see if it was the problem, especially since the service manual indicates that the spring should be replaced when the brakes are serviced.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 AM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
whew, i haven't had this problem yet, *knock on wood* but sounds like a simple fix. im looking to replace my brembos right after my paintjob, and currently am looking up the parts for complete hardware replacement as well, bolts,clips,pins. sometimes the time and money you save skipping the trip to the dealership, is worth the little bonding time you get to spend with your car repairing it how you want it..
Old 04-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
So you have a clunk over bumps and you think it's the brakes? I would check swaybar endlinks before anything else.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that is my left pads are moving ,,,'cause I could hold on the pads and move it a bit and reproduce a small clunk .

I read somewhere that Honda would suggest to insert a thin plactic under the pads to remove the gap .
Old 04-26-2012, 11:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by acurabum
I think that is my left pads are moving ,,,'cause I could hold on the pads and move it a bit and reproduce a small clunk .

I read somewhere that Honda would suggest to insert a thin plactic under the pads to remove the gap .
It's possible for sure but not likely to happen from hitting bumps. A very easy way to figure it out is to lightly apply the brakes when going over a bump that usually makes the noise. If the noise goes away it's the brakes. If not, it's something else.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ yes it's def the brakes with light braking over bumps the noise is gone. I also think that the issue is too much clearance on mine I think the rotors have been cut before. I'm just waiting til I need brakes to replace evrything and I'm pretty sure new pads n rotors with get rid of the noise and everything will be snug again