'07 TL-S rants

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 TL-S rants

The wipers on my '07 TL-S are THE WORST wipers I have ever seen in any car. I've owned roughly 20 new cars in my life and have driven dozens more.

The driver's side blade actually seems to pull water ONTO the windshield from the left side. The blades also "shudder." There's just nowhere for the water to drain off the windshield...It just seems to pool there. The wiper system works about as well as what I'd expect from a 10 year old Hyundai with worn out blades. What a lousy design.

Changing blades produced no improvement and I've tried three different options (including expensive Bosch Microedge blades).

There are just too many "little things" that weren't properly thought out in this car...

1) The wipers...

2) The way the seat belt buckle hits (and scratches) the side trim panel rather than stopping on the seat side or, heaven forbid, on a belt hook like my $21K Camaro had.

3) The cheesy rubber cup-holder things...How long before those tear off? My Accords had nice, spring loaded plastic holders that were MUCH better than these.

4) Then there's the boy-racer aluminum gas pedal that provides NO GRIP with wet shoes (or, in some cases, dry shoes). I had to stick a piece of staircase grip tape on that after my foot slipped off while trying to merge into traffic nearly getting killed.

They put rubber sections in the aluminum brake pedal to prevent that, yet they don't do it for the gas pedal.

5) And how about that cheesy red "accent" footwell lighting that comes on with the headlights. I wonder if Acura subbed that part out to J.C. Whitney...

6) These brakes only seem about average to me in terms of real world stopping power. They say "Brembo," but the no-name, sliding calipers on my '98 Camaro had a lot more stopping power under most real world conditions and at higher speeds. These brakes were probably "good" for the orginal, 6 speed TL; my TL is 200 or so pounds heavier than that and apparently that difference is weight is enough to make the difference.

7) And the car just plain FEELS heavy...This is not the fine handling machine that Acura would have us believe. It has decent lateral grip and good body roll control, but the rest of it is just "OK."

8) Fuel economy is nothing to write home about, either. I've had V8s that got better mileage than this car. My LS1 powered Camaro got MUCH better mileage than this car in the same roads and under virtually identical driving conditions.

I really don't like this car much and I don't see myself buying another Acura product. They're too focused on "gadgets" and not focused enough on things that really matter to a DRIVER. It'll be paid off in 25 months and I'll be dumping it after that for a REAL performance sedan
Old 04-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
are you all done complaining yet...holy crap dude...why did you buy the car then...you should have kept your camaro....
Old 04-28-2008, 03:26 PM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Everything works well on this car for me.
The only things that I would improve are the fuel economy and an auto turn off switch for the heated mirrors.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd have to agree with the OP on the windshield wiper issue. But other that that, I love my TL-S.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by korrupted

Everything works well on this car for me.
The only things that I would improve are the fuel economy and an auto turn off switch for the heated mirrors.
I have had two TL loaners while Acura was replacing my (noisy) front brake pads (took two replacement sets to finally get a quiet set) and both of them had the same windshield/wiper issues.

Oh, I forgot to mention the side view mirrors. Ever touch one? They feel and sound like they're made from hard, cheap plastic. One day I accidentally bumped up against one and I almost started to look for the "MATTEL" logo, since the crunching and cracking noises I heard sounded like what I'd except from a kid's toy.

And how about the lovely engine knocking/pinging issues that some have reported? I thankfully haven't had that - yet - although I dread hearing it for the first time whenever I drive this car.

This car's fuel economy is a joke. The "low tech" pushrod (LS1) V8 in my '99 Camaro got MUCH better real world fuel economy than this supposedly "high tech" V6 can even dream about getting.

The brakes are mostly hype. The RL's larger rotors and simple, sliding calipers would have produced a better stopping car as a less expensive price. (These Brembo calipers are expensive and do next to nothing beside "look cool" in this application.) These stop "well" - once - from lower speeds, but they don't inspire real confidence or real stopping ability from elevated speeds.

Like I said, two more years and this thing is gone. Sure there are worse cars than this and I might be "nit picking" somewhat. But the fact remains that this really isn't a DRIVER'S car. It is an overly teched-up, front drive sedan that is posing as one.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:58 PM
7th Gear

Well I don't have a type s(I have a 05 tl) but I think the type s is overrated. Its suppose 2 be competeing with 07 g35 n 3 series bm's and it just don't hold up plus why would I pay 35k n better 4 the type s when I can wait 4 the 4g 2 come out
Old 04-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Folks usually feel better after a good rant. Hope it worked...but we're not doing this.