'07 TL-S motor mount issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:03 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 TL-S motor mount issue

Im new and have searched and read alot of the stuff about the motor mount issues on this car.
So my car is at the acura dealer, they say motor mounts are good, and that these cars are designed to run like crap on cold start up and idle like junk. These are the exact words out of the mangers mouth at acura of brookfield. Called a diff dealer in IL that deals with these cars a ton more before i even finished describing problem they knew motor mounts where bad. So now do i drive the 65miles to that shop to have my problem solved or.... Also calling acura relations line is no help they back there dealerships diagnosis of our cars run like crap on start up they are designed that way. I have owned the car for 3wks it has 41k on it and was maintained well.

In the mornings on first initial start up it feels as if the motor is gonna jump out of the hood, but after that its not that bad and once warm runs great but still vibrates and shakes threw out the day of starting and stopping. The dealer said they brake torqued the motor and mounts dont show excessive signs of movement.

So my main ? is how do i go about proving its the mounts on this thing, my factory warranty runs out in 1.5months then my new one kicks in but its the point that they should fix the issue
Old 05-10-2011, 01:06 PM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
you can verify yourself.
take a look at the mounts, are they're cracked, leaking, in bad shape, etc.

The car IS designed to throw fuel on the primary cats in order to warm up more efficiently.

if it feels like the motor IS going to jump out, then it could possibly be a mount. the front one is the easiest to inspect.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:21 PM
8th Gear

its at the dealership right now cant inspect it but just seems weird i call one place and they say mounts off the bat the other place says its supposed to run like crap. Car should be on the rack as we type since all they did prior was open hood and look and start and stop motor
Old 05-10-2011, 01:48 PM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Well the motor isn't designed to run like crap as they say to you during the warm up period. It will idle rough on the 1st initial cold start(which is perfectly normal and typical for honda engines) until the idle drops down. As justinspace said "The car IS designed to throw fuel on the primary cats in order to warm up more efficiently."
Old 05-10-2011, 03:05 PM
8th Gear

k that is fine thanx for the clarification but does that still warrant the feeling i get on first start up and also random start ups threw out the day. The new 2010 TL i have in the garage as a loaner is smooth as silk on start up cant barely even feel the motor starting in that car isnt that how my 07 should be even with the dumping of fuel for the ulev stuff
Old 05-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Its IS normal for the car to run like that how would that have anything to do with your motor mounts?? And what is making you think the motor mounts are bad?

To prove to you this is normal I have had 3....yes THREE Acura TL's. First was an 07 base with nav TL purchased with 34K miles. Second was an automatic 07 Type S purchased with 27K miles, last but not least is my current 08 Type S manual which now has 45K miles. All three of these cars start up and idle rough and do it exactly the same. I was told it throws in a lot of fuel to get it warmed up quickly so the emissions systems can work quicker. This may or may not be true but was told it purposely mis-fires as well (cant verify this with facts though). I mean unless its seriously excessive and truely is a problem then I can see your arguement but this is just how this car works. The 2010 TL is a different car you cant compare it to that.

Hope this helps.

James
Old 05-10-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by LastDemo
k that is fine thanx for the clarification but does that still warrant the feeling i get on first start up and also random start ups threw out the day. The new 2010 TL i have in the garage as a loaner is smooth as silk on start up cant barely even feel the motor starting in that car isnt that how my 07 should be even with the dumping of fuel for the ulev stuff
We cannot possibly feel what you're feeling as we're over the internet. we can only suggest.

if you feel the motor wanting to jump out or "Torquing" then it may well be a motor mount. unless an independent mechanic that you trust or you yourself confirm its the motor mounts, then all we can do is assume.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Well you can't really see the mount crack, they have a rubber insulator over them that needs to be removed. From what I've read put it in drive hold the brakes and rev it and have someone you don't like stand in front of the car to tell you which side it's leaning on.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:20 PM

^good shit, usmarine.

Thanks for serving, btw
Old 05-10-2011, 06:59 PM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Acura might have corrected the vibration issue with different mounts with the new TL. Pop the hood of the new 2010 TL and start it up. Then listen and compare without sitting in the vehicle.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:59 PM
8th Gear

well they said they pulled pass. side mount cause it was easy and loosened the rest cause they are not easily removed they said so they tried that and gave it back to me. Either way i like the car alot i just dont like the jarring feeling on cold start up's, it just shocked me to hell that the manager told me the cars are designed to run like crap
Old 05-16-2011, 10:44 PM
8th Gear

Well a week has passed and its still slammin around in there also notice when the heat is on in the car i can feel a slight vibration untill i turn it off. Also its been colder in teh morning here lately like 50 or so and its way worse when its colder out,
Old 05-16-2011, 11:43 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
do you feel the same effect when its in reverse? if you feel vibrations only in drive but not reverse, then your rear mount is gone, and vice versa.

ask me how i know.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Im new and have searched and read alot of the stuff about the motor mount issues on this car.
So my car is at the acura dealer, they say motor mounts are good, and that these cars are designed to run like crap on cold start up and idle like junk. These are the exact words out of the mangers mouth at acura of brookfield. Called a diff dealer in IL that deals with these cars a ton more before i even finished describing problem they knew motor mounts where bad. So now do i drive the 65miles to that shop to have my problem solved or.... Also calling acura relations line is no help they back there dealerships diagnosis of our cars run like crap on start up they are designed that way. I have owned the car for 3wks it has 41k on it and was maintained well.

In the mornings on first initial start up it feels as if the motor is gonna jump out of the hood, but after that its not that bad and once warm runs great but still vibrates and shakes threw out the day of starting and stopping. The dealer said they brake torqued the motor and mounts dont show excessive signs of movement.

So my main ? is how do i go about proving its the mounts on this thing, my factory warranty runs out in 1.5months then my new one kicks in but its the point that they should fix the issue
The ULEV system dumps fuel and causes misfires (slight ones) on startup to warm up the catalysts quickly for lower emissions. There should be a vibration but not to the point where the motor is jumping out of the hood! Have the dealers try neutralizing your mounts and see if it helps.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:53 AM
8th Gear

they tried neutralizing the mounts still no help, it slams around even when motor is warmed up itrs worse on cold start yes but still bad on warm start. Also notice a slight vibration when the heat or ac is on also but very slight. Have had it for a few weeks now love the car but this motor thing is really starting to irritate me