07 TL, mirrors ticking / rattling from the inside.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 TL, mirrors ticking / rattling from the inside.

Greetings,

This comes and goes, but both drivers side and passangers side black plastic mirror housing, from within the inside cabin, is ticking over small bumps. sSunds like two pennies being hit together.

I'm certain its that. My wife drove me to work today and i heard it on the passanger side, all windows rolled up. I pressed against the black plastick mirror housing while in my seat, and the rattle stops immediately.

Anyone experience this or have any feedback? This is a rattle that comes and goes, seems to be weather affected. Finally we get some good weather in Chicago, along with two rattles....
Old 04-23-2008, 05:37 AM
Be kind to us truckers !

YUP mine does that too!. ...I'm gonna try slipping some small pieces of white padding cut into triangles and slip it between the plastic inner triangle and the rubber gasket and see if it stop's, cause it does stop with finger pressure!...i just haven't got around to doing it to both sides!
Old 04-23-2008, 05:39 AM
Be kind to us truckers !

I think the cold weather is part of the problem myself!
Old 04-26-2008, 03:12 AM
10th Gear

Hey guys, I am confused on your mirror rattle. Is it on the side view mirrors or the rear view mirror? What do you mean by the black plastic piece? is this inside or outside the car? I have a rattle that I thought was in the steering column but now I think it may be from something else. It sound similars to your description, a clicking noise and it is worse sometimes and sometimes not at all, weather or temp related? The dealer has had it in the shop twice for a total of 7 days, replaced some metal covers in the column and the last time replaced the air bag assembly but could never really find anything that appeared to be loose. The last time they took it in it naturally would not rattle while they had it but it started again the day after I got it back. It's driving me CRAZY. I will check the mirror problem you are having but am confused as to exactly what you are talking about. Sorry this is so long, thanks
Old 04-26-2008, 08:45 AM
Pro

I have this problem too, it actually comes from the outside and resonates in throught the window I think.

If you press on the side mirror housing where that flat piece of plastic is in front youll hear the noise. My starts to act up when car has been in the sun.

I had the drivers side on fixed at dealer and then the passenger side started doing it too. The passenger side one does not bother me that much but the one on the drivers side was like rattling right in my ear.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:43 PM
B16 Swapped TL

I have the same issue. Gonna take it into the deal and have them look at it. If I press on the black pieces inside the car the noise goes away.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Hi Nosfera2, It''s the inner black plastic door trim that rattles/ vibrates in my car !! ( the black triangle)...So what I did was cut a thin peice of rubber shaped as a triangle and slipped it between the plastic triangle and that rubber seal next to it!....then pulled back on the plastic trim around the "upper inner window", "and gently" slipped a strip's of rubber behind it with the help of a putty knife and it seemed to do the trick!....now the outside plasitic mirror base cover, I slipped some double sided 3M sticky tape and slipped it between the triangle rubber the black outer plastic triangle, hopefully that will help, now I just need to do the other side!....if you want some of that rubber stripping give me your address and I'll mail you some, I got plenty! ...007tl-s
Old 05-14-2008, 12:50 PM
10th Gear

try to lube with some wd40 or some lubricant between the mirror and rubber , i experience those from 04-07 tls where the rubber molding is contacting the body of the car causing it to rub and make a noise,if that doesn't work let me know
Old 05-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Advanced

I have the same issue. Gonna take it into the deal and have them look at it. If I press on the black pieces inside the car the noise goes away.
Hi Nosfera2, It''s the inner black plastic door trim that rattles/ vibrates in my car !! ( the black triangle)
Those are precisely right. I got angry tonight and tampered more with it. I did take it to the dealer, but the roads by my dealer are so soft and smooth, and naturally i couldn't duplicate the problem. But yes, the black plastic, if i even genlty press on it it ticks.

I think i might've done the trick. I cut some wool foam and inserted it between the bottom base cover and where the rest of the door starts, i pushed it inside with a credit card to get in the narrow spot; i think that mightve' done it. I took some pictures with my phone and I'll post them tomorrow.

I took the bumpiest road home and i couldn't hear it at all, hopefully it'll hold. I think it may be weather-affected too as sometimes its louder than others. We'll see how it goes...
Old 05-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Advanced

Didn't help, I gave up. Car in the dealer overnite for a fix.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 007TL-S
Hi Nosfera2, It''s the inner black plastic door trim that rattles/ vibrates in my car !! ( the black triangle)...So what I did was cut a thin peice of rubber shaped as a triangle and slipped it between the plastic triangle and that rubber seal next to it!....then pulled back on the plastic trim around the "upper inner window", "and gently" slipped a strip's of rubber behind it with the help of a putty knife and it seemed to do the trick!....now the outside plasitic mirror base cover, I slipped some double sided 3M sticky tape and slipped it between the triangle rubber the black outer plastic triangle, hopefully that will help, now I just need to do the other side!....if you want some of that rubber stripping give me your address and I'll mail you some, I got plenty! ...007tl-s

that's what i just did on mine last night, i slipped the weather strip with a putty knife in. the noise stops now.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:46 AM
7th Gear

Same mirror ticking on both sides. I took these posts to dealer. Dealer tech stuffed felt in.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Advanced

Same mirror ticking on both sides. I took these posts to dealer. Dealer tech stuffed felt in.
Good idea
Old 06-10-2008, 06:48 AM
7th Gear

Get this, a salesman immediately knew of the problem! He said he throws in the side window shades for free as this tends to stop it. Why is there so much known wrong with the cars yet Acura and Consumers Reports thinks the car is perfect?