06 tl transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 04:33 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 tl transmission problem

Today I was driving down the highway, had already driven like 75 80 miles when i noticed the rpms go to about 5000 then back to 600 or 700 hundred. After that I noticed that the transmission would not engage. There was no noise or sounds. I did a notice burnt fluid smell when I pulled over. Had to have the car towed. So my question is do you think the trans needs a rebuild or is it something else. Anyone ever had this happen.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
look for leaks and yes it will most likely need to be overhauled
Old 07-25-2010, 05:17 PM
10th Gear

There were no leaks.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Suzuka Master

you said you smelled something burning so I was wondering where the leak was cause one typically cannot smell burnt fluid unless it leaked out. did you check the dipstick? cause if it is not at the full mark with the car off, the fluid leaked out somewhere.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:17 PM
10th Gear

I did check the fluid it was full with the engine off
Old 07-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Suzuka Master

what color was the fluid? did yo notice anything else out of order in your engine bay?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:46 PM
10th Gear

the fluid appeared a little dark but still red. I gave the engine bay a quick look over and didn't see anything suspicous.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Suzuka Master

stuff should be almost a light pink color, how many miles on the car?
Old 07-26-2010, 03:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had the exact same problem on my 05 TL (auto transmission) this past Wednesday. Dealer checked it out and told me the whole transmission had to be replaced. Acura is sending them the parts for free -- will be fixed at no cost, even though it's out of warranty.

I wonder how many other people have had this issue. I noticed another thread on the bulletin board about loud bangs and rough shifting from 1st to 2nd -- both of these symptoms I have also experienced.
The following users liked this post:
MarkB3264 (07-25-2022)
Old 07-26-2010, 03:43 AM
Suzuka Master

I get slipping and intermitent jerking on my trans lol and my dealer cannot duplicate the problem. this is a 2 year old trans with 24K on it lol
Old 07-26-2010, 05:14 AM
10th Gear

The car has 120000 miles I m doubting the dealer will do anything
Old 07-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
When you get it back, change the fluid every 30K, or sooner. Also, make sure that your overhauled tranny has new pressure switches. The fluid change recommendation is a joke... fluid is cheap insurance. I change 3q every time that I change oil.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
If you're lucky it's the TCC solenoid.. otherwise it sounds like your torque converter committed suicide.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:54 PM
10th Gear

The other part I should mention is that not one warning light came on.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:33 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Originally Posted by moonhaze33
I just had the exact same problem on my 05 TL (auto transmission) this past Wednesday. Dealer checked it out and told me the whole transmission had to be replaced. Acura is sending them the parts for free -- will be fixed at no cost, even though it's out of warranty.

I wonder how many other people have had this issue. I noticed another thread on the bulletin board about loud bangs and rough shifting from 1st to 2nd -- both of these symptoms I have also experienced.
How did you manage to get the whole transmission replaced without any cost? Also what are the symptoms to look for to know if the transmission is bad? Thanks.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:04 AM
Banned

I don't know, my dealer's service center is fantastic and somehow managed it with Acura.

There were no real symptoms that I knew about, it just died suddenly. But I was getting hard shifting from 1st to 2nd gear ever since I owned the car, and occasional banging during that shift as well.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:15 AM
10th Gear

I had no symptoms before hand trans just stop all of a sudden. I had just driven about 80 miles right before it broke with zero indications.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
thats what they do when the clutch disc packs fail and plug the torque convertor oil inlet screens with their bits

`Goodwill Warranty` is what they call hooking you up after warranty expiration.
Service manager calls regional acura corp warranty rep- pleads your case and a decision is made to go partial or full coverage

They know the trans prob that started in gen2 in 2000 carried into gen3
I though 05 was the last bad year.. but I was wrong!!
Old 07-27-2010, 05:11 PM
10th Gear

The car is getting towed to the dealer tommorow so on Thursday I will know for sure if I need a new trans. If I do need one I will install a used one myself most likely
Old 07-27-2010, 05:24 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
If you're lucky it's the TCC solenoid.. otherwise it sounds like your torque converter committed suicide.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Originally Posted by moonhaze33
I don't know, my dealer's service center is fantastic and somehow managed it with Acura.

There were no real symptoms that I knew about, it just died suddenly. But I was getting hard shifting from 1st to 2nd gear ever since I owned the car, and occasional banging during that shift as well.
How many miles you have on your car. Was it an 04 automatic? Also did you do the Goodwill warranty? Thanks.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sondinh
How many miles you have on your car. Was it an 04 automatic? Also did you do the Goodwill warranty? Thanks.
2005 TL Auto w/Nav. 80,000 miles. Got a goodwill service. Car came back today -- transmission shifts smooth as silk. No rough shifting between 1st and 2nd like it was when I bought the car new.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
You guys should do yourselves a favor and if it's not under warranty, take it to a real trans shop. Acura does not rebuild or repair transmissions, they replace the whole thing for simple repairs that could be done at a fraction of the cost by a real shop. Techs these days are code readers and parts swappers, not real techs IMO. That goes for most, I know we have a few good ones on here.
The following users liked this post:
MarkB3264 (07-25-2022)
Old 07-29-2010, 07:00 AM
10th Gear

I just wanted to see what the dealer said about the car I will likely swap in a used trans myself I just don't trust anyone to work on my car
Old 07-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by I hate cars
You guys should do yourselves a favor and if it's not under warranty, take it to a real trans shop. Acura does not rebuild or repair transmissions, they replace the whole thing for simple repairs that could be done at a fraction of the cost by a real shop. Techs these days are code readers and parts swappers, not real techs IMO. That goes for most, I know we have a few good ones on here.
lol what makes you think a "real" trans shop can fix these things any better than acura can? Acura has spent untold amts of cash trying to fix these things and the local guy can look at it and go "oh here it is"? If someone found a reliable fix for these things, we'd ALL know about it now......

Short of a solenoid/sensor failure or fluid/fliter change, there is not much that is really can be done without cracking that thing open. if you have a major failure of some kind, you either replace or rebuild it.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
lol what makes you think a "real" trans shop can fix these things any better than acura can? Acura has spent untold amts of cash trying to fix these things and the local guy can look at it and go "oh here it is"? If someone found a reliable fix for these things, we'd ALL know about it now......

Short of a solenoid/sensor failure or fluid/fliter change, there is not much that is really can be done without cracking that thing open. if you have a major failure of some kind, you either replace or rebuild it.
Several reasons why a real trans shop could fix it.

Acura does not rebuild transmissions nor do they know how to diagnose problems. They replace transmissions, that's it.

For example, 3rd gear is slipping. Instead of coming out of pocket $3,500, a real shop can replace the 3rd gear cluthes, maybe steels, and rubbers. $700 and you're back on the road.

The techs I've talked to can't even name any of the parts inside. They don't know how a torque convertor works, etc. How can you diagnose an issue correctly when you don't know how it works?

All it took was a walk in to my old shop and when I saw a Honda 5at torn down I started talking about my own problems. He immediately said 3rd and 4th gear switches. Over a year later and look at how many transmissions have been saved and have been improved. This is more than Acura has done in 10 years. They ran the band-aid oil jet kit for how many years before they designed the case for the '05s? There's the "oh here it is" you were talking about.

Most of these "major failures" you talk about are nothing more than a clutch pack failure that plugs off the inlet. You're talking a few clutches, steels, rubbers, gaskets, reconditioning of the pump if it was oil starved and you're on the road. I worked in this industry and it's no big deal when they fail in this way. We used to get 2 or more a day with this type of failure.

The only thing that was not common was the lack of lube to second gear and the resulting lockups. Acura offered a bandaid to a potental fatal problem and on top of that continued selling the same transmission with the oil jet installed as a recall.

Even if a real shop is doing a complete overhaul, it's going to be cheaper than Acura and the big advantage is a good shop will install all the updates that go along with it. These are usually to correct slow shifts, lube issues, shift timing, etc. Anything they can do to improve reliability. Acura just put a replacement that likely will have the same failure instead of addressing the issues.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:54 AM
10th Gear

Smile

Well just an update, brought the car to the dealer and they confirmed the trans was shot. The dealer is going to pay for half the cost to install a rebuild unit. I figure that for the price I am getting I wont be saving much by doing the work of removing and installing a used transmission. I just letting them do the work, so I don't have to deal with all the headaches and can hopefully start driving my car again this week.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Several reasons why a real trans shop could fix it.

Acura does not rebuild transmissions nor do they know how to diagnose problems. They replace transmissions, that's it.

For example, 3rd gear is slipping. Instead of coming out of pocket $3,500, a real shop can replace the 3rd gear cluthes, maybe steels, and rubbers. $700 and you're back on the road.

The techs I've talked to can't even name any of the parts inside. They don't know how a torque convertor works, etc. How can you diagnose an issue correctly when you don't know how it works?

All it took was a walk in to my old shop and when I saw a Honda 5at torn down I started talking about my own problems. He immediately said 3rd and 4th gear switches. Over a year later and look at how many transmissions have been saved and have been improved. This is more than Acura has done in 10 years. They ran the band-aid oil jet kit for how many years before they designed the case for the '05s? There's the "oh here it is" you were talking about.

Most of these "major failures" you talk about are nothing more than a clutch pack failure that plugs off the inlet. You're talking a few clutches, steels, rubbers, gaskets, reconditioning of the pump if it was oil starved and you're on the road. I worked in this industry and it's no big deal when they fail in this way. We used to get 2 or more a day with this type of failure.

The only thing that was not common was the lack of lube to second gear and the resulting lockups. Acura offered a bandaid to a potental fatal problem and on top of that continued selling the same transmission with the oil jet installed as a recall.

Even if a real shop is doing a complete overhaul, it's going to be cheaper than Acura and the big advantage is a good shop will install all the updates that go along with it. These are usually to correct slow shifts, lube issues, shift timing, etc. Anything they can do to improve reliability. Acura just put a replacement that likely will have the same failure instead of addressing the issues.
lol you do know that R&R on a trans at a shop runs around $500, right? and you would be nuts just to replace one clutch pack....lol no wonder there are so many shady guys on the road cause no one wants to do it right and replace all the packs........it's another $500 just to tear it down to find out what is wrong......and that was in 2006.....

and btw having experience with a trans shop lol it would have been CHEAPER to just have paid honda $4K up front and been done with it. I'd prolly stiff be driving it today....

I took my 98 accord in to Kennedy Trans when it croaked at 87K miles They found the defect (differential bearing) and rebuilt the trans for $3600....due to hard part failure. They are a reputable shop that had pretty good reviews....in the end they did not apply any of the updates to the transmission that Honda had specified. Because of this they had to rebuild the trans no less than 4 times within 11K miles. That was it, never again will i use a trans shop becuase they in general suck ass. in the last 9 months that I had my 98 accord V6, it spent 3 in the shop.......after the 4th rebuild. car was sold with just 100K on it....... and this is not my first experience with a trans shop
Old 08-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Team Owner

lol you do know that R&R on a trans at a shop runs around $500, right? and you would be nuts just to replace one clutch pack....lol no wonder there are so many shady guys on the road cause no one wants to do it right and replace all the packs........it's another $500 just to tear it down to find out what is wrong......and that was in 2006.....
Sometimes a $1,000 patch on an otherwise good transmission sounds a lot better than $4,000 out of pocket.
and btw having experience with a trans shop lol it would have been CHEAPER to just have paid honda $4K up front and been done with it. I'd prolly stiff be driving it today....

I took my 98 accord in to Kennedy Trans when it croaked at 87K miles They found the defect (differential bearing) and rebuilt the trans for $3600....due to hard part failure. They are a reputable shop that had pretty good reviews....in the end they did not apply any of the updates to the transmission that Honda had specified. Because of this they had to rebuild the trans no less than 4 times within 11K miles. That was it, never again will i use a trans shop becuase they in general suck ass. in the last 9 months that I had my 98 accord V6, it spent 3 in the shop.......after the 4th rebuild. car was sold with just 100K on it....... and this is not my first experience with a trans shop
You picked a bad shop. Better luck next time.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts

you do know they extended the trans warranty on 98-01 accords at the time of your ownership.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Suzuka Master

That is not correct, 98 accords were excluded and so were the 02 models it was only the 99-01 models. I tried for goodwill and it was a no go since i just got the car......at the time honda quoted $4800 and I should have done it.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:26 AM
10th Gear

Well I finally got my car back, the dealer ended up taking even more money off the bill. I paid 1800 w/ taxes, and have a 36,000 mile warranty on the trans. Couldn't have done it cheaper myself, its nice to know that the at least the dealer I bought the car from will stand behind there products.