'05 TL - Driver-side door unlock button not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 TL - Driver-side door unlock button not working

Hi all - First time poster, but have been reading this forum for a few months and it has helped me with a number of issues! I'm having a problem with my door locks and have been unable to find an existing thread which describes the same problem. If anyone can offer some insight, I'd really appreciate it.

The door unlock button on the driver's door has stopped working. To clarify, pressing it elicits absolutely no response (not a peep), as if it is not even connected to the car. Having said that, absolutely every other lock function works: The lock portion of that same button, the door lock/unlock button on the passenger's side, manually pushing down or pulling up the locks themselves,locking and unlocking with the remote. The car also has no other electrical problems; everything works exactly as it should (AFAIK). It is just that one particular button that isn't functioning and not the overall unlock mechanism itself.

I should mention that having never had a problem with this, the car was recently in for some paint work during which the shop disassembled the door. I noticed it wasn't working the same day I got it back from the shop. It seemed to me that this in no way could be a coincidence, however...

I just had it looked at by Acura (car needed to go in anyway), and they said that they are 100% sure that the "under-dash fuse/relay MICU control box" is the problem and that it needs to be replaced. The fact that the door has just been disassembled by the body shop is merely a coincidence (so they say). Acura quoted me over $900 for the parts and labor. My dealership has been very honest over the years, but has been wrong on occasion.

So, has anyone encountered this problem before? Any recommendations before I fork over almost a grand to Acura? Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any info you can offer!

One final note - When locking the doors either with the remote or from inside the car, there is a noticeable whining sound that's been there for years. Acura says that the left-front door actuator is broken but that this is in no way related to the non-functioning lock button.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

New members cannot edit their posts or threads.

Once your account is upgraded, you will be able to edit for 15 minutes after submission only.

Edit add-that was a super quick PM you sent-thanks for the thanks.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Man, that's a lot of cash. I always suspect dealers of being dishonest. I don't have access to the service manual for the 04-06 TL, but if you want to verify, then I would get a DMM and probe the signal at the control box to see if it's getting there. If it is, then unfortunately, you must replace it. If it is not, then probe at each connection before the box, one at a time. Could someone with a service manual comment on the signal path from the unlock switch?
Old 05-29-2013, 01:07 PM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
It's true what they say about the MICU, it is a major component in electrical "gremlins".

However,accidents happen, and who knows, maybe it's a single wire that's pinched or was accidentally cut when reassembling the door panel. It could be a faulty switch as well.
If i were you, I would try resetting the MICU, which is basically disconnecting the battery and letting it drain overnight OR disconnecting the cables from the battery just the cables alone to eachother for a few seconds.

If this changes anything,or makes the window unlock work, you know it's something with the MICU. I don't know how honest your dealer is, then again, i don't think any dealer is 100%.

Just a suggestion...
Old 05-29-2013, 01:07 PM
MMkay.

OOO wait;Do they unlock with the remote?

Last edited by Project_CLean; 05-29-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:12 PM
MMkay.

Here's a bulletin from acura.
Attached Thumbnails '05 TL - Driver-side door unlock button not working-acura.png