'05 TL 5AT: Whining Noise and Burning Smell

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 07:57 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 TL 5AT: Whining Noise and Burning Smell

My brother has an 05 TL 5AT: on Sunday the car started with a nasty whining sound followed by a smell of something burning. We turned off the car as soon as I smelled something burning. I looked into the engine bay and did not see any signs of anything foul.

Car has 73k miles on it, all service (including timing belt) has been done on a regular basis. The car has no visible leaks or dribbles. The serpentine belt is new, as is the tensioner assembly and I do not see the belt rubbing on anything.

I recorded a video of the sound (sorry for the vertical video):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mvh1rcpi2x...615_103553.mp4

Any thoughts on what it could be?
Old 06-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
i had the same issue it turned out to be my altenator. Can you describe the smell? electrical, oil??
The following users liked this post:
TCM 01 CL-S (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 08:03 AM
Uses turn signals in my

Originally Posted by the_tl_man09
i had the same issue it turned out to be my altenator. Can you describe the smell? electrical, oil??
The smell is a bit hard to pinpoint, at least to my nose. It smells like a hint of hot rubber and also like singeing leaves. It could definitely be an electrical smell now that I think about it.

How did you end up diagnosing it?
Old 06-17-2014, 08:39 AM
Instructor

I ended up sticking my nose right up on the altenator and i could definitly tell thats where the smell was coming from. I also noticed my navi screen was acting a little strange. There were waves running through it, it's a little hard to explain. I also noticed engine noise coming through the door speakers. My volts were also reading low with the a/c on, heated seats, radio playing (minus the suboofers), headlights on etc. I was getting a 11 volt read which shouldn't happen. I'd check your volt reading with everything you have electrical turned on to see if the altenator is putting out the correct voltage with a load on it
TCM 01 CL-S (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 09:12 AM
Uses turn signals in my

I ended up sticking my nose right up on the altenator and i could definitly tell thats where the smell was coming from. I also noticed my navi screen was acting a little strange. There were waves running through it, it's a little hard to explain. I also noticed engine noise coming through the door speakers. My volts were also reading low with the a/c on, heated seats, radio playing (minus the suboofers), headlights on etc. I was getting a 11 volt read which shouldn't happen. I'd check your volt reading with everything you have electrical turned on to see if the altenator is putting out the correct voltage with a load on it
I will have to check in that area when I get home from work. I didn't really looked at the alternator as a culprit so I did not listen/smell in that area.
Thanks!
Old 06-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Instructor

You running a system in your car?
Old 06-17-2014, 11:20 AM
Uses turn signals in my

You running a system in your car?
100% stock as far as anything audio is concerned. She does have a UR underdrive pulley though.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:46 AM
Instructor

i dont think that should hurt your altenator since your bone stock with everything else
Old 06-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Update: a mechanically/technically inclined relative was visiting the house while I am at work, he believes that it is the alternator. I will replace it and report back.

Thanks the_tl_man09
Old 06-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
It's the belt that's burning. Whine is probably power steering. Start at the power steering pump. Whine could be air getting in from the inlet hose. It doesn't appear to be leaking which is good. Make sure PSF is in good condition and between min and max line of the reservoir. With car running, check PSF for micro bubbles foaming at top, turn wheels side to side to note if the whine changes amplitude. If no bubbles or variation in amplitude when turning wheel, check alternator.

Turn car off and look for any belt shavings around alternator housing, then try rocking the pulley back and forth checking for any play. Then check current to battery, if current load is good, pulley doesn't have any play and no belt shavings, check compressor housing for A/C. Turn car on and engage a/c, check for any squeal. A/C should be cold. You can also check for play in the compressor pulley bearing. If that seems all good.. last culprit could be drivebelt auto tensioner. Check the tensioner marks and verify they are in spec, turn car on and check tensioner mark, if it moved significantly, it's ready to be replaced.

You can also remove the drivebelt for sanity check to make sure it's related. If you remove the drivebelt, it will also be easier to rock the pulleys and will allow you to spin the auto tensioner pulley to rule that out as well.
TCM 01 CL-S (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 07:32 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Update: Replaced alternator which fixed the whining sound and also eliminated the burning smell.

After letting the car run for a bit, heard a new sound develop, coming from PS pump . Going to trouble shoot that next. PS fluid level was good, but the fluid is old as hell and there were micro bubbles. I guess I'll tackle that tomorrow.

Thanks for your help the_tl_man09 and Majofo
Old 06-18-2014, 07:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TCM 01 CL-S
Update: Replaced alternator which fixed the whining sound and also eliminated the burning smell.

After letting the car run for a bit, heard a new sound develop, coming from PS pump . Going to trouble shoot that next. PS fluid level was good, but the fluid is old as hell and there were micro bubbles. I guess I'll tackle that tomorrow.

Thanks for your help the_tl_man09 and Majofo
no problem bud
Old 06-26-2018, 02:34 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
It's the belt that's burning. Whine is probably power steering. Start at the power steering pump. Whine could be air getting in from the inlet hose. It doesn't appear to be leaking which is good. Make sure PSF is in good condition and between min and max line of the reservoir. With car running, check PSF for micro bubbles foaming at top, turn wheels side to side to note if the whine changes amplitude. If no bubbles or variation in amplitude when turning wheel, check alternator.

Turn car off and look for any belt shavings around alternator housing, then try rocking the pulley back and forth checking for any play. Then check current to battery, if current load is good, pulley doesn't have any play and no belt shavings, check compressor housing for A/C. Turn car on and engage a/c, check for any squeal. A/C should be cold. You can also check for play in the compressor pulley bearing. If that seems all good.. last culprit could be drivebelt auto tensioner. Check the tensioner marks and verify they are in spec, turn car on and check tensioner mark, if it moved significantly, it's ready to be replaced.

You can also remove the drivebelt for sanity check to make sure it's related. If you remove the drivebelt, it will also be easier to rock the pulleys and will allow you to spin the auto tensioner pulley to rule that out as well.
I just happened across this in my searches and you, Good Sir, are awesome. That was one of the finest "First check, then..., followed by..." I have seen in awhile. I have been hoping somewhere someone has already compiled a quickly and easily available list detailing where to look based on "sounds/smells/random-and-not-even-logically-connected-but-still-is/etc" for beginners covering all parts of my '03 CL-S 6MT. I have a shop manual, but it lacks a certain instinct and 'gut feeling'. Alas, I have yet to find that diamond in the rough. Kudos to you.