05+ Driveline Vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 09:55 PM
05 WDP/Ebony/5AT/NaviLess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05+ Driveline Vibration?

Okay, so I've read all the existing threads regarding the driveline vibration and potential fixes etc. There was a TSB released that added a damper and was supposed to reduce the vibrations however it was only for the 2004 TL.

I've been to several dealers and all have told me that the vibration/drone I am feeling is normal. They have also told me that all 2005 TLs have the damper TSB already applied. Here are the symptoms of the driveline vibration I have :

1) Occurs at 1500rpm but particularly noticeable around 80-90km/h (50mph)
2) Has a vibration and a droning noise through the steering, seat and floor
3) Seems to be really bad when cold, but still occurs when the car is warm (not as bad)
4) Switching to a lower gear (i.e. 5th to 4th) makes it go away
5) Only happens on 5ATs
6) The vibration can be quite rough and pretty much vibrates most of the car
7) Has nothing to do with tires or alignment

So now, here is the million dollar question -- who has a 05-07 TL that has this vibration? If you do have it, are the symptoms the same as what I described or are they any different? Have you taken it to the dealer and what have they said? Have you had any fixes or dealer solutions applied and what have been the results?

I have been really frustrated with this vibration and I really want to get it fixed but I want to gather as much information as possible so that I can take it to the dealer and hopefully get them to take some sort of action.

So if you have an 05+ TL please post and help me figure this out!

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2007, 07:43 AM

Nobody has this vibration??
Old 01-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My '05 had it but it wasn't as bad as some have talked about on the boards.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by JDM5lugHatch
My '05 had it but it wasn't as bad as some have talked about on the boards.
Had? Did you get rid of the vibration some how? Or have you gotten a new car?
Old 01-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by pvansh
Had? Did you get rid of the vibration some how? Or have you gotten a new car?

Got rid of it.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:33 PM

Got rid of it.
Mind telling me how? What seemed to fix it?
Old 01-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Mind telling me how? What seemed to fix it?

Sorry was busy at work when I posted. I meant to say that I got rid of the car. That fixed it right up along with all the other issues. lol
Old 01-30-2007, 01:02 PM

Sorry was busy at work when I posted. I meant to say that I got rid of the car. That fixed it right up along with all the other issues. lol
Haha no prob! I'm starting to contemplate the same thing. What car did you move on to?
Old 01-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Haha no prob! I'm starting to contemplate the same thing. What car did you move on to?

I went to an RSX-S because I wanted a car that was more fun to drive and easy to heavily mod with a shit load of jdm parts. Plus I missed driving a manual so much.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:12 AM

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 01-31-2007, 02:35 PM
Advanced

i have it on my 06 exactly as you described but it was more noticeable when we first got the car and after 2 months it seem to have died down? i guess i'll report back cause i havn't been paying attention or maybe i juts got use to it. But given how yours is an 05, it's probably not going to go away like mine did.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:57 PM
07 TL-Navi 5AT, NBP

Talking

Mine seems to do it (07, Jan 7) right out of the dealer's lot. I had the opportunity to drive a co-workers 04 auto home shortly after picking up mine one night while they borrowed my truck. His did the same thing so I guess it's normal. It's not that bad, I thing it's mainly (for me) in the pedal and maybe the wheel. Doesn't seem to transmit to the body of the car. I notice it exactly at 2000 rpm (not 1500 as described earlier). I haven't played around with manual shifting yet (wanting to break the engine in a little more plus it's winter salt-fest here so not much ambition to play). What I do notice is when I feel it it's always around 2000 rpm, different gears.

I believe my neighbor's 04 does something similar as he described it as somewhat of a growl-feeling.. he liked it, feel the power, a tiger in your tank.

I'm getting used to it but distubing as my '94 626-v6 w>200k miles never vibrated the passenger cabin or pedals like that. Maybe because the TL is so quiet and smooth it's more noticeable.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by rshanahan
Mine seems to do it (07, Jan 7) right out of the dealer's lot. I had the opportunity to drive a co-workers 04 auto home shortly after picking up mine one night while they borrowed my truck. His did the same thing so I guess it's normal. It's not that bad, I thing it's mainly (for me) in the pedal and maybe the wheel. Doesn't seem to transmit to the body of the car. I notice it exactly at 2000 rpm (not 1500 as described earlier). I haven't played around with manual shifting yet (wanting to break the engine in a little more plus it's winter salt-fest here so not much ambition to play). What I do notice is when I feel it it's always around 2000 rpm, different gears.

I believe my neighbor's 04 does something similar as he described it as somewhat of a growl-feeling.. he liked it, feel the power, a tiger in your tank.

I'm getting used to it but distubing as my '94 626-v6 w>200k miles never vibrated the passenger cabin or pedals like that. Maybe because the TL is so quiet and smooth it's more noticeable.
2000rpms? Really? Mine is ultra-smooth at 2000rpms but anywhere from 1000-1800rpms can be rough. I've had the car for a while now and it seems to be better/worse at times but its always sort of there and it really bothers me. My last car was a Civic and it never had a vibration like that. It makes me kind of angry that I spent all this money and the car isn't even smooth. To me it doesn't feel like positive feedback from the car, rather a vibration that isn't absorbed along the way. In other words, the vibration doesn't feel good.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:41 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I just installed a Comptech cat-back on my 6MT. While I was under there I found an exhaust mount that failed, and the mount flange is now making direct contact with the frame. It hink this could be a source of vibration that's I've been feeling.

Have you crawled under and check your exhaust mounts?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kennedy
I just installed a Comptech cat-back on my 6MT. While I was under there I found an exhaust mount that failed, and the mount flange is now making direct contact with the frame. It hink this could be a source of vibration that's I've been feeling.

Have you crawled under and check your exhaust mounts?
Nope I haven't but I also wouldn't really know where or what to look for. If you get your mount fixed, can you report back? If that fixes the problem I can get the dealer to look at it.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:20 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Nope I haven't but I also wouldn't really know where or what to look for. If you get your mount fixed, can you report back? If that fixes the problem I can get the dealer to look at it.
Good idea to not harass your dealer by chasing ghost until you have a good idea what the problem is.

Do this. Jack up and support one side of your car. Crawl under it and grab the exhaust system (when cool of course), at the center resonator. Shake the shit out of it and look for hard contact points (where rattling might be occuring).

You're never going to diagnose this problem by posting on Acurazine.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:15 AM
Registered P.I.M.P

I have a feeling this is normal. I get this vibration too around the 80kmh speeds when its just cruising at 1500rpm. I think its normal. Doesn't bother me too much really but I do notice considering I just got my 05 TL.

I don't think its a mount as the vibration is much more than something loose. I've had many loose things on my previous car and all they did was make a lot of noise.. hah

I don't think there is a fix.. by the sounds of it, this is normal.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Knockz
I have a feeling this is normal. I get this vibration too around the 80kmh speeds when its just cruising at 1500rpm. I think its normal. Doesn't bother me too much really but I do notice considering I just got my 05 TL.

I don't think its a mount as the vibration is much more than something loose. I've had many loose things on my previous car and all they did was make a lot of noise.. hah

I don't think there is a fix.. by the sounds of it, this is normal.
Yeah thats what the dealer keeps telling me, but the vibration really gets on my nerves!
Old 02-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Team SSM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Search in the Service Bulletin thread at the top of this section. There is a TSB for this vibration. Just bring it to the dealer and show them.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by SSMTL04
Search in the Service Bulletin thread at the top of this section. There is a TSB for this vibration. Just bring it to the dealer and show them.
That TSB you are referring to is for the 04 TL. I've mentionned it to my dealer many times and they tell me all 05+ TLs have the TSB applied.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Team SSM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
oooo good point, i thought it said 04+ hahah. My bad
Old 02-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Racer

Nobody has this vibration??

I just started getting the same problem, but I figured it was the suspension. It basically is vibrating my whole car and it is getting annoying.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by TLdriver022
I just started getting the same problem, but I figured it was the suspension. It basically is vibrating my whole car and it is getting annoying.
What year is your TL? I've basically been told by the dealer and Honda TechLine that every TL does this to some degree or another, just some are worse/more noticeable then others.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 07 TL and seem to have the exact vibration you guys describe. I have only 900 miles on the car and I am afraid to even think that I will have to bear with this vibration for a long time until I get rid of the car. My 97 accord had it...got a 99 Accord and the car was smooth as silk (except for the transmission failure and I had to pay 1/2 of the cost to get a rebuilt). An unhappy customer, I am cursing myself for buying another Honda product.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by MDs1
I have a 07 TL and seem to have the exact vibration you guys describe. I have only 900 miles on the car and I am afraid to even think that I will have to bear with this vibration for a long time until I get rid of the car. My 97 accord had it...got a 99 Accord and the car was smooth as silk (except for the transmission failure and I had to pay 1/2 of the cost to get a rebuilt). An unhappy customer, I am cursing myself for buying another Honda product.
An 07? Wow looks like they never fixed it. How bad is your vibration?
Old 03-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Instructor

It is bad. The trim and other knobs on the instrument panel literally buzz at that RPM level.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:49 AM

Sounds as bad as mine. I would have thought there would have been an improvement in the 07s.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:58 AM
1st Gear

Driveline vibration on '06 TL 6MT

It is funny : the dealership thought I was imagining things....but I have brought the car in 3 times since I bought it, the first time they re-did the alignment, the second time rotated and road forced the tires. When I brought the car in for the 3rdtime , I asked the service director to test drive my new TL to experience the vibrations felt through the floor, steering column and really everywhere in the car. He acknowledged the issue and after another day in the shop, triumphantly called me to say that he thought he fixed the vibration problem. He mentioned that he had replaced all 4 (already new) tires. I took the car for a drive. It was better, but still does not feel right.

I pretty much experience all your symptoms. I would agree, it seems to come from the engine or driveline, I am not a mechanic but this is really annoying for a car which costs $30k +
I am a little tired of going back and forth with the dealership and am curious to know if you have ever fixed your issue by now....
Old 04-01-2007, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by cyrilb71
It is funny : the dealership thought I was imagining things....but I have brought the car in 3 times since I bought it, the first time they re-did the alignment, the second time rotated and road forced the tires. When I brought the car in for the 3rdtime , I asked the service director to test drive my new TL to experience the vibrations felt through the floor, steering column and really everywhere in the car. He acknowledged the issue and after another day in the shop, triumphantly called me to say that he thought he fixed the vibration problem. He mentioned that he had replaced all 4 (already new) tires. I took the car for a drive. It was better, but still does not feel right.

I pretty much experience all your symptoms. I would agree, it seems to come from the engine or driveline, I am not a mechanic but this is really annoying for a car which costs $30k +
I am a little tired of going back and forth with the dealership and am curious to know if you have ever fixed your issue by now....
I doubt its the same cause that the rest of us have. The problem we have it supposed to only relate to the 5AT, not the 6MT. You may have something completely different.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Instructor

I think all of us who have the 1500-2000 RPM vibration should call Acura client service and bitch about it until they listen and find a fix for us. We paid for supposedly a reliable and trouble free car and we shouldn't accept anything less for the money we paid.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
i have this vibration even when in PARKING

even when the car in neutral or P ...rev the engine to 1500-2000 RPM ...i can feel the vibration and growl...this can also be heard when turn on the car...from outside of the car of course...cause as it crank up it jump around 1500 RPM for a few seconds...here is my theory though...there is a TSB for LONG CRANk AND HARD START that replace the FUEL INJECTORs and this might help because on my mom maxima which has bad fuel injectors...have the same/worse shaking vibration feel to it...not related to engine mounts or anything
Old 04-05-2007, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by xedap1998
even when the car in neutral or P ...rev the engine to 1500-2000 RPM ...i can feel the vibration and growl...this can also be heard when turn on the car...from outside of the car of course...cause as it crank up it jump around 1500 RPM for a few seconds...here is my theory though...there is a TSB for LONG CRANk AND HARD START that replace the FUEL INJECTORs and this might help because on my mom maxima which has bad fuel injectors...have the same/worse shaking vibration feel to it...not related to engine mounts or anything
Take it to the dealer and give it a shot. Report back to us on whether that solves the issue or not. I'm not sure if it will relate to this problem, since I don't have any cranking problems.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Instructor

Aside from the 1500 - 2000 RPM vibration and drone, my car also vibrates terribly when the RPM is between 1000-1100 while in Neutral or P. While idling, if I press the gas paddle until it hits 1000-1100 RPM range, I can feel the vibration as if the car is missing. This vibration literally shakes the whole car kind of like one of the piston is misfiring. The dealer told me that it is normal for TL. Any of you are experiencing this also?

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Racer

I second that this issue appears on 06 TL 6spd.

I turned down a brand new TL that had road noise (only when moving). The car had a weird drone at low RPMs in 5th and 6th gear, and started at about 50 mph and could be felt all the way until about 85 mph.

Luckily for me, I always do a good test drive before buying. The dealer started feeding me crap about car sitting on the lot for too long, tires need rebalancing, rotors resurfacing, alignment redone, etc and I said let me test drive another one to compare. I stayed away from that car and demanded that the dealer let me test drive another car or will loose my business. In 30 mins he rolled out exact same color combo, I test drove it, and it was perfect.- the one I'm driving now.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kostyan
I second that this issue appears on 06 TL 6spd.

I turned down a brand new TL that had road noise (only when moving). The car had a weird drone at low RPMs in 5th and 6th gear, and started at about 50 mph and could be felt all the way until about 85 mph.

Luckily for me, I always do a good test drive before buying. The dealer started feeding me crap about car sitting on the lot for too long, tires need rebalancing, rotors resurfacing, alignment redone, etc and I said let me test drive another one to compare. I stayed away from that car and demanded that the dealer let me test drive another car or will loose my business. In 30 mins he rolled out exact same color combo, I test drove it, and it was perfect.- the one I'm driving now.
Is your TL a 5AT or 6MT?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:30 AM
2nd Gear

I have an 05 automatic with the same vibration issue. If I am trying to maintain a speed of 50 mph by lightly touching the throttle, I get a bad vibration in the peddle and steering wheel. If I push the throttle further down or let off, the vibration goes away. I am taking my car in for service on Friday but now have even less confidence that it will get fixed after reading the posts in this thread. To be honest, I am pretty disappointed with my TL and the service department for my local Acura dealer. This will be the third time I have taken my car in with a complaint about rattles (first time not reproduced by the service dept. second time they told me my tires were causing so much vibration they couldn't locate the source of the rattle). I had the cruddy Bridgestones so I replaced with some Yokohamas but I still have the rattles. I also have the faded dashboard syndome around the passenger airbag. I just didn't expect these kind of problems with a near-luxury vehicle, and if I did have these problems I would expect them to get fixed. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the rattles and vibration are taken care of this trip. Sorry about the downer post, but I REALLY want to like this car. However, my wife's G35x is looking like a better purchase as the days go by.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:46 PM
8th Gear

I'm having the tranny replaced just before my 5 year major parts warranty runs out on my 2004 TL. The droning/vibration happens at around 35 to 40 mph, under 1500 rpm. The noise sounds like the car is rolling over lane markers on the highway. I had the Acura technician test drive it. Probably only getting a remanufactured tranny though. At least I don't have to pay for it.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:01 PM
acura master tech

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
take it in and have them neutralize the motor mounts.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by 240sx acura tech
take it in and have them neutralize the motor mounts.
Also have them check the mounts for any unusual wear, check the transmission fluid and inspect the drive-line.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:46 PM
7th Gear

I got my 05 TL like 2 weeks ago and i feel the same thing u guys are feeling around 45 to 50 mph.I'm a tech for honda and i dont think it feels right, so i took it to the acura side and the tech told me that he did not feel anything. At the end of the test drive he said if u want the tranny replace i'll do it but every thing look and feels good on the car. now im thinking about it it might just be that all 05 TL have the same problems.

Quick Reply: 05+ Driveline Vibration?