'04 TL transmission/vsa problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 09:14 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 TL transmission/vsa problem

hello new here i have read through a couple post and have found some post to be the same but not all the same things mine is doing so here goes i was out and about one day ran in the store to get something left car running about 10 minutes came back put in (R) nothing happens put in drive nothing happens i rolled out of the space so i pushed it in to another space turned the car off took key out put key back in after making a few phone calls tried to see if it would go in gear went in gear fine nothing wrong got home went back and forth a couple times when it went in gear it kinda jerked just a little so left the car parked next day get in car the light with the (!) is on and the one with vsa is on to went around the block drove fine first starting then i really got on it seems like its slipping so when i got back had to go in (R) again bad jerk and grinding so i left it parked for a couple days and did research came back to it today and pulled both solenoids on front side plus big one on top and on side checked them they seem to be working fine i have not checked the two small ones on top checked fluid first day a little dark but at the right level i pulled the codes no dtcs but one abs code says sensor logic failure steering angle sensor i have taking the steering column apart wiggled wires no change i tried to do the vsa natural reset didn't work i have pulled the speed sensors drivers side broke need to replace passenger side has been replaced before looks to be auto zone sensor already bought replacement oh yea after i check those sensors i went for test drive cause the batter had been disconnected when i drove it easy no problem if i gunned it it would act like slipping then it would just not be in gear anymore but if i turn off and restart goes back to normal so where do i go from here what can i do next ??
Old 03-25-2015, 09:59 PM

Received 9,528 Likes on 6,183 Posts
Holy run-on sentence.

It sounds like your transmission is on it's way out. My 2001 CL did the same thing and the transmission had to replaced very soon after.
The following users liked this post:
cyphermike (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 10:12 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Holy run-on sentence.

It sounds like your transmission is on it's way out. My 2001 CL did the same thing and the transmission had to replaced very soon after.
i was thinking of that looked at rebuilding it but when i talked to a transmission guy he said its not consistent enough like if it was failed torque it would be all the time right ? i even looked at the wiring everything looks normal he told me to check the pressures i haven't done yet don't have right tools right now just wanted to see if anyone could give me more ideas
Old 03-25-2015, 10:54 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by cyphermike
hello new here i have read through a couple post and have found some post to be the same but not all the same things mine is doing so here goes i was out and about one day ran in the store to get something left car running about 10 minutes came back put in (R) nothing happens put in drive nothing happens i rolled out of the space so i pushed it in to another space turned the car off took key out put key back in after making a few phone calls tried to see if it would go in gear went in gear fine nothing wrong got home went back and forth a couple times when it went in gear it kinda jerked just a little so left the car parked next day get in car the light with the (!) is on and the one with vsa is on to went around the block drove fine first starting then i really got on it seems like its slipping so when i got back had to go in (R) again bad jerk and grinding so i left it parked for a couple days and did research came back to it today and pulled both solenoids on front side plus big one on top and on side checked them they seem to be working fine i have not checked the two small ones on top checked fluid first day a little dark but at the right level i pulled the codes no dtcs but one abs code says sensor logic failure steering angle sensor i have taking the steering column apart wiggled wires no change i tried to do the vsa natural reset didn't work i have pulled the speed sensors drivers side broke need to replace passenger side has been replaced before looks to be auto zone sensor already bought replacement oh yea after i check those sensors i went for test drive cause the batter had been disconnected when i drove it easy no problem if i gunned it it would act like slipping then it would just not be in gear anymore but if i turn off and restart goes back to normal so where do i go from here what can i do next ??

sorry i was in a rush

Hello, new here. I have read through a couple posts and have found some post to be the same but not all the same like my car does. So here goes, one day, I was out and ran into the store to get something, I left the car running about 10 minutes, came back put in (R) nothing happens, put in (D) nothing happens. I rolled out of the space, so I had to push it into another space. Then I turned the car off,took key out, put key back in, nothing happened. After making a few phone calls, I tried again to see if it would go into gear; and it went into gear fine, like nothing wrong. I got home, drove it back and forth a couple times, I found when it went into gear it kind of jerked just a little, so I left the car parked. Next day I got into the car, the light with (!) is on and the one with vsa is on too. I drove it around the block, it drove fine at first. When I really got on it seems like its slipping, so when I went into (R) again, bad jerk and grinding. So I left it parked for a couple days and did some research. I came back to it today, and pulled both solenoids on front side, plus big one on top, and on the side, checked them, they seem to be working fine. I have not checked the two small ones on top. I checked fluid first day, a little dark, but at the right level. I pulled the codes no dtcs, one abs code says sensor logic failure steering angle sensor. I have taking the steering column apart, wiggled wires, no change. I tried to do the vsa natural reset, didn't work. I have pulled the speed sensors on driver’s side, and I broke it, so I need to replace it. Passenger side sensor has been replaced before, looks to be an auto zone part. Oh yea, after I check those sensors, I went for a test drive, cause the battery had been disconnected. When I drove it easy no problem, if I gunned it, it would act like slipping, then it would just not be in gear anymore. But if I turn off and restart goes back to normal. So where do I go from here? What can I do next??