04-06 dash cracks (solutions to cover up/improve appearance)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
04-06 dash cracks (solutions to cover up/improve appearance)

Ok...
I have 2 problems to post...
1. cracked dash
2. some idiot forced a lapel pin in my dash and now there is a noticeable hole...

1. Does anyone have any good methods to cover this issue up? I dont have money to shell out to have my dash replaced...so i was hoping someone found a good way to conceal issues like these...a dash mat is the obvious choice...but those are tacky as hell...there has to be another option..

2. The lapel pin hole is located just to the left of my glove box...on a khaki colored portion of my dash...is there some kind of filler i can put in there to conceal it?

Last edited by Thomasv; 01-20-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomasv
Ok...
I have 2 problems to post...
1. cracked dash
2. some idiot forced a lapel pin in my dash and now there is a noticeable hole...

1. Does anyone have any good methods to cover this issue up? I dont have money to shell out to have my dash replaced...so i was hoping someone found a good way to conceal issues like these...a dash mat is the obvious choice...but those are tacky as hell...there has to be another option..

2. The lapel pin hole is located just to the left of my glove box...on a khaki colored portion of my dash...is there some kind of filler i can put in there to conceal it?
I've been suggesting that members can try to see if they can get the dash covered in vinyl or alcantara with "break-away stitching" around the passenger side airbag. It'd make the car look nicer and as well fix the issue.

As far as the hole, I'm not clear exactly where it is. Can you grab a picture off the web and circle the area in MS paint and post it here so we can see what part it's on?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
You guys can try polyurethane filler. I'd be wary that it might stress other areas of the dash and create other cracks as it warms up though. In regards to the tan portion being a hole? You can seal it and use vinyl fix to cover it. Paint matching the patch will be the most difficult.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the same problem and thought about forking out some money to fix it... maybe fiberglass the dash but i feel that would be too much for a TL. by the time you pay to fiberglass it you can just replace it but hey we are all on a budget... the cheapest way of doing it is to go to autozone or advance auto parts and buy a cover for it... their are two or three different kinds to choose from and cost about $30
Old 01-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Racer

I appreciate the input...I will check into both options...sorry i have not uploaded a pic of the hole yet but i think you guys all know that a pin hole from a lapel looks like anyway...the top half of my dash is black..the bottom half is tan...its just a hole...took my car to the dealership in OKC yesterday...the guy took pictures of my crack and i told him my airbag light keeps randomly turning on and off...I hope they help me replace it or at least offer to cover a majority of the repair bill. We will see!
Old 01-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Racer

update: OKC acura dealership offered to cover 50% of my repair cost to be right around 750 cost to me. I am out of warranty on the vehicle and did not buy the car from their dealership..it was bought used with 67000 miles on it. Should I pressure them to cove more or take the offer? I have 90 days to decide.